What Do I Have Here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't state the obvious and reply with "That's A Wheel"! :D

The rim is 25 inches in diameter (a 26" rim is 23"). It has a New Departure Model "C" skip tooth, and doesn't seem to have a lot of rim for a tire bead to "seat" to. Any value?

8850863_orig.jpg

Good observation; it doesn't have much room for a tire to seat because it is not a clincher rim 8) This wheel is a 28" singletube rim, likely from the 20s or early 30s before clinchers took off in the mid 30s with the advent of the balloon tire.

I can't remember who produced this flat, steel style but it was concurrent with wood wheels and wood clad--using the same 28x1½" singletube tire. Good find!

I believe it is a Lobdell Cement Beaded Edge Type Rim. The price is listed as $2.20 a pair, You only have one and it is pretty rusty, I will give you $1 for it. :wink: The New Departure Model C uses the same internal parts as the Model D.

1936_Lobdell_Rim_Chart.jpg

udallcustoms, thanks for the info!! I have absolutely no use for this item, however I do have a use for the hub. I could take a pair of cutters to the spokes and pull the hub, but that would be downrght criminal. I propose a trade. I would be willing to trade this wheel for a New Departure Model "C" hub in ship-shape condition (good working order/no rust) with a skip tooth sprocket. Any takers?

Latest posts

Back