What are two things you never have enough of when doing builds?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To keep myself well-stocked in chains, I bought a huge run of 410-sized (1/2"x1/8") industrial chain, and it works/fits singlespeed bikes fine, but it's not as laterally stiff as the real-deal bike stuff. Despite normal chainline, I'm finding that the chain swings out and hits the tires whenever i go over substantial bumps. This is with adequate tension, a 1 piece crank, and a SS coaster hub.... yeah, the tire is a fairly fat 2.4" with aggressive knobs, but still.... I'll probably use the chain on bikes with skinnier rubber and/or bikes that spend most of their time on pavement, b/c the industrial chain ain't cuttin' it for klunk-duty....
Good to know, I was looking into getting some of that for my Klunker build next year!

Luke.

Time!... Never enough time. I have so many half completed projects and ideas floating around in my head but never enough time. Some money would be nice too since I am basically working on an other-people's-trash budget. For the most part the lack of money doesn't bother me much since my bikes are basically built from scratch out junk, but it would be nice to occasionally be able to stump up a few bucks for some nice parts on the finished bikes though.

Also I am a little surprised that Beer didn't show up until the end of the first page. It's like lubricant for creativity, and there's never enough of that either. :D

Skimpily clad models to show-off my bikes; the only ones that seem to be available are as wide as they are tall. :confused:

Time!... Never enough time. I have so many half completed projects and ideas floating around in my head but never enough time. Some money would be nice too since I am basically working on an other-people's-trash budget. For the most part the lack of money doesn't bother me much since my bikes are basically built from scratch out junk, but it would be nice to occasionally be able to stump up a few bucks for some nice parts on the finished bikes though.

Also I am a little surprised that Beer didn't show up until the end of the first page. It's like lubricant for creativity, and there's never enough of that either. :D
That's when you know how to appreciate everything you build. I'm in the same situation and I like it that way.

Time, but I make it happen anyway. Skip tooth chains that are not stretched, and any old prewar high-quality ballooner parts. Getting very difficult to find good quality original OLD parts like frames, forks and pedals.

Time and money of course... That's a given... ;)

For builds, I'm always missing the little trinket parts like seat or cable clamps or the oddball hardware item that actually fits whatever I'm working with...

For bikes I'm working on just to get up and running, axle cones are the one item I never have enough of. They come in a lot of different sizes and threads so they're a tough part when it comes to maintaining a nice stash. They can be ground and polished to an extent but can't always be saved. They're expensive to buy if you go for new...

'sob story'

Strength and endurance. I can only work 15-20 minutes at a time then rest and attempt to gather the motivation for another 15-20 minutes.. long story short, for the curious who'll waste off topic posts in this thread, LOL bit by baby (fresh hatched) black widow spider 30 years ago, which caused chronic rheumatoid arthritis within 6 months .

Last edited:
Back