"Waterproofing" A bike-Storing in rain/Snow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subadrew said:
I have the opposite problem. I have a frame I want to rust, but can't. Stupid dry air!
Send it here for a year....lol. They rust REALLY well here. My 2012 build off bike is going to be started 2011, sand off all the paint and leave it locked up behind my shed and let the weather do it's worst then go from there. Might also do some wax pinstriping so the area under the striping won't rust. Never seen it done before and I think it'd be cool.

As far as getting a bike to rust you need humidity, try placing it in a kiddie pool full of water.

As far as getting a bike NOT to rust, oil, wax, grease, Rhino liner, pick your poison. Personally I think it'd look boss with some beefy mountain bike tires and rhino line the whole thing, then make a small brush bumper for the front.

Subadrew-
Actually, you can use dry conditions to your advantage in creating rust. Put some water in a spray bottle. Add a little salt (preferably un-iodized sea salt, but regular table salt will work, just a little slower) for a little electrochemical assist. Wet down your bike, allow to dry. Formation and sublimation of sodium hydroxide will cause the hydrogen in the H2-0 to dissipate more quickly, leaving more oxygen free to bond with the iron. Don't leave it where the dog can lick it, and avoid handling it unless you rinse it with clear water, as the chemical transactions involved are somewhat caustic.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question445.htm

I understand the tarp deal, but how do ya'll feel about those "breathable" car covers ? Buddy of mine left California in a hurry and left me 2 truck covers and wondering if those work ok ?

Probably work fine. Tarps actually work fine too...IF you arrange them right. You want air flow so that moisture isn`t trapped. If you rig it more like a tent, they`re great. I attach one to the back of my (already full!) garage, then slope it down, and under the bikes. This runs the rain off, but stops the rising damp and still allows air flow through, sort`a like a tube. The bikes inside sit on a old pallet, to keep them up off the ground. Works for me...

Back