"Waterproofing" A bike-Storing in rain/Snow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was wondering if there are any good ways to waterproof a bike? Keeping rust off chrome, Keeping water out of bearing races...and also a giant tray...
IMG_2353.jpg

I was thinking layers of WD-40 on the paint/chrome...What else?

We use PAM on our commuter bikes. Tri flow on the nipples, heavy grease in the hubs, BB and headset. A good layer of oil on everything finishes it off. .

Frame Saver on the inside of the tubes.

KJV said:
tarps draw moister, & cause more damage.

I agree 200% it is a false sense of security. I did the same to a bike and it was better off exposed to the elements.

CRC Marine Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor- We use it on pumps and pipes at work. It forms a layer that is removable with a degreaser. Thick spray that works.9 bucks a can.

maybe switch to mags if you can find them to fit? and truck bedliner on the tray.

i kinda thought on this a little when i got my truck. the possibilty of just keeping a bike in the back all the time. i was thinking mags, paint the frame with bedliner and as many alloy components as i could afford. it's still a back of my mind idea.

i dont know the name of it, but my old neighbor used to put this black stuff on his chrome bumpers in the winter. come spring, he had a rusty truck with shiny bumpers. :lol: it was made just for that purpose, maybe they still make it and someone remembers the name.

I live spitting distance from the ocean. Rust is in high gear around here. I wipe the whole bike down with WD-40. I did a google search for motorcycle covers, found a great cover big enough to cover the biggest Harley. It covers the bike with room to spare. The cover cost me $20.00! Well worth it.

Bring my good bikes inside for the winter! :lol: I agree, tarps are not good. Ever notice when people put covers over their air conditioners? The compressor inside the unit will have rust on it in the spring when the cover comes off. Spokeshave had a good solution too. I have used that one. Peace.

The main reason i ask this is because i cant keep taking my front loader apart, and bring it inside each night. I hate not having a garage.

Its either weatherproof it, Sell it, Or keep on keeping on.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Back