UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the thomas look, I might have to steal that. Nah, realistically, I might just try to experiment with some finishes. My fake steam powered idea wont work on this bike so We'll see what I can come up with. Ive been seeing some interesting items at the arc thrift stores lately.

Today I learned a bit about fittings and also learned my fake steam powered idea wont work without some serious machine work. The guy at Bicycle Village is a big time custom bike builder and really enlightened me on the subject. I have some extra cash but not that much. In a way Im kinda glad this build is going that way and I learned this early on. It could have become a costly mistake later. So I might try another idea or two I have after I run them by him. Yeah, plain old cycle trucks are kinda boring. I hope I can get a little weird with this still.

come on john with that background of hobbies you have you should be able to take this hands down. dont worry what others think the first time i tossed drop style bars on a cruiser my co workers thought i was nuts and now look at where that look has gone. go for it even i thought i was out of my head when i thought up the idea of putting carbs on a bicycle and turning them into bells but it worked right? lets see those mad skilzzzzz :mrgreen:

My mind is working on it. Figuring out how to steampunk a cycletruck is a little harder than it seems without machining abilities. The guy at the bike shop loved my idea but shot it down in flames. I have time to come up with something. Its disassembled so Im going to have to mock it back up and go from there.

Hobbies? did he say hobbies? I have way too many of those. I just spent two days tearing down the christmas train layout and have so many things to box up yet. And the skills? They are from working on other peoples normal machines, not making my own. Have you ever been in an industrial environment and found yourself watching a machine do something? You stand there watching it work and wonder how you can use that idea on something at home, I used to do that a lot at work and on hobby adventures. I never did get my parents cookoo clock back together right either. This project will take some deep thought and I can plan for the big one later this year too. Crossing hobbies in a hybrid of a sort is totally new for me, yet totally fascinating.

The weather isn't cooperating. It won't be warm enough to paint for at least a week to 10 days. The spray cans say above 55f, but I have found the best results are at 70f and above. I'll have time to look for that one thing I haven't found yet.

The Navy got me hooked on coffee. On ships, nearly every work space has a 30 cup percolator, at least they used to. Either you could go to the mess decks and buy a soda from the machine, or learn to drink free Navy coffee. Navy coffee came in a big plain 10 lb tin can. The first few cups from the pot were best, then it went downhill quick. I still brew a pot of coffee at the office but I now use coffee and chicory. Either Cafe Du Monde or French Market brand, both from New Orleans. It doesn't take much to make a good strong pot. The chicory was added to coffee years ago when there was a shortage of coffee, so they stretched it out to make it last longer. The mix caught on, and is easy on the stomach, especially after a night of partying on Bourbon St.

Just waiting on the weather to warm up. I might have to go to the paint booth on base, but they charge by the hour for that. I'll see if I can work a deal.

The steam gods spoke to me last night. I have an idea for the front all worked out. I was playing with a diferent idea for the back but a frame tube is in the way right now. Maybe a pulley of some sort will remedie. I think I can do it without machining but it will look like an erector set on drugs. Lots of clamps, brackets and bolts, and part of another frame. I need a trip to Home Depot and Ace to see if its feasible. It wont resemble a cycle truck much any more, in fact it wont be able to carry anything but me.

Have any of you guys seen the bicycle engine kits available? Im trying to find out what the chain pitch is. If I where to get the the rear chainring that attaches to the wheel from one of these kits, is it the same as singlespeed chain, multi gear chain or is it a more industrial pitch and width like a mini bike or motorcycle chain? Im trying to make a certain function happen on the rear but using a double sided crank wont work, the left chainstay is in the way. The front of the bike is all worked out but will be pointless without something functioning on the rear.

hey ...john... im putting a couple of motors on bikes write now i just checked for you and the single speed chain fits perfect on one sprocket but it didnt fit to good on the other sprocket in the other kit the sprocket was a little thicker .then i tried the chain on a 36 tooth sprocket that i bought for more speed and it fit perfect ...dont know if that help you out eny .. japanese pot metal ..good luck

Are you using the same size cc kits or where they different engine sizes? Do you have an extra one with the mounting hardware to sell that will work with either kind of bicycle chain? All I need is the sprocket for the back wheel and its mounting hardware. I need to drive a separate crank to use its arms.

I worked on the front today a little bit before work. I dont know if steampunk is a word I would use to describe it, Maybe if Casey Jones and Mad Max had a lovechild. I dont have an exact plan for the back yet but it will come to me, I might as well get the front done while I can.

Not yet, In fact I need to disassemble the bike again. I found the paint and finish I want to use. Its going on messy on purpose. I dont want to do any more on the steam project until its painted because I dont want to have to take it all apart again. My wife saw it and thinks Ive lost my mind.

"my wife saw it and thinks Ive lost my mind."

Happens to all of us.

I'm taping off the spokes on the wheels just to be doing something while I wait to paint. I was going to leave them alone, but the rims will get painted.

john is painting his hamertone pink really i got the low down :D . pshhhhhh all this hiding from one another come on at least whip the dolls out like the other build offs :mrgreen:

bighit said:
well then no more free ideas,
4318808728_3f1550e9a3_b.jpg

full steam ahead!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post pictures when I have something Im proud of. My sheetmetal skills are a little rusty but my imagination is not. I may remake this first piece. I was given access to the scrap metal bin at work and brought home some pieces to practice on. I wish I had access to the tooling I could use when I worked at American Eagle. Guys would make all kinds of stuff. At the time my main hobby was restoring Honda Dreams. Im going to take the bike back apart and hopefully rattle can it tomorrow. Im not going to worry too much about how good it comes out. I need the bike together to start major construction.

"I was given access to the scrap metal bin"

Christmas in February. Some of the coolest things I've seen here are made from scrap metal. To have access to a whole bin of leftovers would have me begging for a welding machine and a trip to Harbor Freight for some of those power tools.

So it's just as well I don't have a bin to pick through. I'd have to get a industrial first aid kit for the garage. And a fire extinguisher.

Nice job on the fenders. Im going to try priming and painting my frame today. The bin is usually full of just worn out brakeshoes and big pieces I could not even pick up. However recently an engine collided with a methonal truck. The rear has a little structural damage but the fire melted the paint, wiring and a few other things and cant be saved. So I got some sheet metal pieces, a strip heater, and some other odd pieces I dont recognize. Im going back to harbor freight too, I need more rivets

Parts I wont be using any more
100_0002-6.jpg

Why would I want to do this?
100_0001.jpg

Wife gave me a honey do list so no painting today :(

looks like your going to put an engine on it with a rear gear like that.

Back