UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bighit said:
Good parts are never around when you need them. i am stocking up for the next RRBBO in april already.

I was too until I learned the fork I have wont work on any of the frames I have left. My whole idea for that has been shot down in flames already and its only January. :( At least Im having fun with this one. My basement looks like a bomb went off in a machine shop. Parts and hardware are everywhere from trying to mate things with no success.

johnp.smith said:
My basement looks like a bomb went off in a machine shop. Parts and hardware are everywhere from trying to mate things with no success.

Sounds about like mine- I have 3 project bikes in various stages, 2 parts bikes and a couple Schwinns that had a run in with a pipe cutter. Now I have another one coming down.

I've set aside a pair of tires nearly the same as those, but they are more white than cream colored..
I know a JC Higgins could be ID'd by the Sears catalog number which is part of the serial number. Maybe the year could be figured out by that method on that frame.

quick update: I could NOT figure out how to take off cranks, I tried a gear puller/hammer/etc. - just decided to cut 'em off - BUT then I had a HECK of a time trying to make a new crank set-up work. I have never done these type of cranks and it was truly frustrating, but I got 'em working! The Frame is a FUJI if that matters (just noticed).

I am thinking of doing paint as gun-metal grey, black & marooooooooon (cuz that's the paint I have). I did luck in to a seatpost off an old exercise bike that curved back that fit perfect! Not sure on bars yet, or tires (just what I had for now) -may need more beef - just playing...

folder_02A.jpg

folder_02B.jpg

folder_02C.jpg

folder_02D.jpg

folder_02E.jpg

folder_02F.jpg

folder_02G.jpg

THANKS for looking... Cheers, T.

Im liking kingplinker's folding boardtracker and bighit's 2 piece as well. This build is really going different directions even when we all start with a specific theme. I thought we were doing folding cycletrucks but its all good. Great Job guys

Mr. Kingplinker, i believe your bike is a Fuji. There is one just like it on the local craigslist here in Dever. Maybe Marlboro added it to their promo points catalog. A family member has gotten me a few things from there. In the future of crank removals, there is a tool made by Park tools. after you remove the dust cover and the bolt holding the crank arm on, It threads into the threads for the dust cover. Once its all the way in, you turn the arm and it pushes the crank arm off the center crank shaft. They're about $15.00. I cleaned house and went through every bike item I had last night. The seat I was planning on using is definitely gone. Im stuck with a fatty. I through a lot of junk out too. The garbage man's gonna love me next week

Raining all day today, can't get the bike yet, but I have a pic of one just like it, except mine is missing stuff. I am getting all the parts together while I wait. The place is a mess as I always get 3 or 4 projects going at one time.

16avczn.jpg

English handlebars
2ii8qcl.jpg

Tires need cleaned up
2gv54bm.jpg

More measuring spoons for brake brackets
2yz0ikp.jpg

Phillips bell
33c6ag9.jpg

Copper cup for drink holder
20pa8a1.jpg

I should be getting the basket next week. After I get it, I would like to make a bracket to hold it low to the front tire and be removeable with wing nuts for folding purposes. I think the bike should be able to fold and fit inside of it. Sticking out of it of course but the base should fit, its pretty big.

Dropped off my grand daughter's recycled bike and picked up my folder. Close inspection reveals a dent in the frame caused by the handlebars when they were folded. Someone must have put something heavy on the bike. It may be a non issue because it's still straight. There's also no way to modify the handlebars, they are one piece and the same goes for the forks, the head tube is very short. But I'm still on target with most of my ideas.

qn63bs.jpg

11spo95.jpg

bighit said:
here is an updated pic complete with original acs z mags. the bike is period correct now like em or not.
I LIKE EM A LOT. VERY COOL.
Do you have a chainring and a white chain to match?

That was a joke about the chain but a matching chainring would be awesome. My brother had wheels very similar to yours way back when on a bike that came from Grand Auto of all places.

Lucky me I found a headlight at the thrift store for 1.99, part of an old 6 volt lantern. I lost my white tires to my grand daughter, so I went ahead and ordered a pair of these from the bike shop, cheaper than walmart.

11uyr91.jpg

Wildcat said:
Lucky me I found a headlight at the thrift store for 1.99, part of an old 6 volt lantern. I lost my white tires to my grand daughter, so I went ahead and ordered a pair of these from the bike shop, cheaper than walmart.

I have a pair of 20 inch white knobbies similar to what you had. If you can cancel your and want em, they're yours for shipping

Thanks for the offer, but I really like the ride the Michelins give on my Bike E, and I plan on using this build off bike for a lot of shopping, the commissary is about 1 mile down the road.
These tires are made for kid's BMX bikes, but work well for me because they aren't knobby, but still ride well on dirt roads and have good rolling resistance on the pavement. $9.99 each.

I think mine will be a pickup. There's very little to work with on the front, since the handlebars fold leaving next to nothing to attach anything to, even a small basket. The forks are unique also, very narrow as is the front hub. Nothing else will fit. A 1.75 tire is as wide as I can go. The triangle rear suspension I was trying won't look right, it's way too big for the bike. No frame mods then. Still on track though, deciding on a color for the wheels and frame. I tried an old Brooks mattress saddle, comfortable but in sad shape. I just remembered Kenda's weekly specials, they've got the shorttrackers on sale, 20 and 24 inch, 4 bucks each plus shipping.

Back