UK Rod Brake Humber Rat Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my favourite bike from my rod-brake collection, a 30's or 40's (possibly very early 50's) Humber bike. I'm a bit vague with the age as the only way I can date it is by the headbadge that says "By appointment of King George VI" who was the King from the 30's until 1952.

Not sure how old the Lucifer dynamo is for the front wheel, I salvaged that from another bike. For a more interesting look I moved the Sturmey Archer 3 speed changer onto the middle of the frame, so a lot of people tend to ask what it actually is, so I then explain it's the gear changer..

But I ride it all the time and rides fantastic, able to get pretty fast on it too! Over takes a lot of modern bikes anyway.

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so4_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so5_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so6_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6oobaDYuT1qdbe8so7_1280.jpg

The gear cable and the gear chain could be connected a little better I guess.. that coppery pillar thingy should be what connects them but is just sitting loose on the cable, and the rest is just sort of knotted together instead.. so any gear adjustments is done simply by hitting the gear changer with a hammer to slide it back or forth for tension!

tumblr_m6p156gDPc1qdbe8so1_500.jpg

Always annoys me when common folk say "it could do with a new coat of paint" or "when are you going to do it up?"

It's only original once!

Re: 30's/40's UK Humber Rat Bike

Sweet bike! I have a thing for English bikes, especially with rod brakes. I have never seen one with that style locking fork, it is really cool. The fork is different too, I like it.
Check out the rear hub (assuming its a SA), it will have the month and year stamped in it, if its an original wheel that will date it for you.
I'm guess 51-54 based on what I have seen with the Raleighs and Rudges.

I'm thinking the thumb shifter was changed too.

Re: 30's/40's UK Humber Rat Bike

highship said:
Sweet bike! I have a thing for English bikes, especially with rod brakes. I have never seen one with that style locking fork, it is really cool. The fork is different too, I like it.
Check out the rear hub (assuming its a SA), it will have the month and year stamped in it, if its an original wheel that will date it for you.
I'm guess 51-54 based on what I have seen with the Raleighs and Rudges.

I'm thinking the thumb shifter was changed too.

Thanks, yeah I have another of a similar age with the exact same style of forks (only I have the key for that one so I can still lock them) and the wheel was replaced a year or two ago before I knew about the date thing so I can't trace it back through that route.. and yeah, I'm sure that isn't the original shifter.. might try and get one of the older upright ones designed to sit on the frame

Latest posts

Back