UCB Hub Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been facinated my the mechanical marvels that reside in the center of all of our rear wheels. That has led me to begin this project to display the internal workings of as many brands and models hubs as I can get my hands on.

I am creating a cut away display and a rebuild thread for each of the hubs. I will use this thread as an index to direct everyone to the info they need.

NEWBendix Original (Red Band and RB2 are simlar)

Musselman/Elgin/JC Higgins Finned Hubs

New Departure Model A

Komet Super

New Departure Model D

Red and Yellow band Bendix Automatics (Kickbacks) (No cutaways yet)

Perry Two Star B-100

Fitchel & Sachs Dreigang by druggedonions

Factory Cut-Aways and CAD Drawings by c.p.odom
Elgin/Musselman by Tailwinds

So far I have begun work on a Komet Super
2010-11-06162134.jpg

And a New Departure Model D
2010-11-08135739.jpg

These two will get some more cleaning and polishing up.

Other hubs that I have or are on the way include
Bendix-RB2, Red and Yellow kickbacks; Hawthorne, and a Sturmey Archer three speed.

Several of our fellow members have sent me some hubs to add to this project and I would like to thank them. If you have any hubs that I didn't list that you would like to donate to the project let me know and we can go from there.

chagovatoloco said:
this is great, are you going to post more?

Next up will be a yellow band kickback and then a Bendix RB2. I have a Hawthorne, a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, and a red band kickback on the way. I am looking for others as well if anyone would like to donate to the project.

I had to work this evening, but I knew it would be a slow night so I brought a couple hubs in to tinker with. The Hawthorne that I got from mikesbikes36 turned out to be a rebadged New Departure Model D so it will be traded for another.

The other I brought in is a Perry B-100 that came from a bike I got from garagegoon. It was in rough shape with one of the rod bearings ground to a half rod. I cleaned it up, made my cuts and put it back together. I just need to paint my cut edges and make the Rebuild thread using another Perry Two Star B-100 that I got from ratfink1962. I am just waiting on the Perry spanner wrench that Markm is sending me so I can do it right. The rebuild thread will also feature the Perry sign thet Jaxon sent me. The sign has found a home right above my workbench in the garage.

I am hoping to get the yellow band Automatic painted and reassembled tonight as well.

Here is the sign
IMG_7099.jpg

And here is the Perry B-100 as it currently sits
2010-11-14224447.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have a Sutherlands Manual.

There's always something better about DIY folks doing it.

This will be an asset to the cycling community. I have to teach a lot of guys at work how to rebuild old/antique hubs and it is tough sometimes.

Good work. Keep it up.

This is a 3D CAD model of a New Departure Model D Factory Cutaway Hub that I made.
MODELDHUB-10.jpg

I see where this is going Cameron. When you get finished , your going to write a book called Hubs of the World...make millions with it being a best seller.... buy an island in the Caribbean...and never be heard from again. :lol: :lol:

Musselman Factory Cutaway shown in exploded view.
3D CAD model by Curtis Odom
Hub from my collection.

MUSSELMAN_7.jpg

Back