Tyranny & Mutation / '36 Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of reminds me of why I sold my SK, I love them I just cant deal with the cast aluminum. I like that steel frames can just be bent back in to shape, and I'd be super mad at my self if I broke a $250+ frame.
That's why I didn't just jump in with my old school carpenter mentality of "I can fix anything..." lucky for me the guy I bought it from has a conscience.
I see you have a Ross Barracuda in your fleet...
First bike I ever had as a kid about 67' too.
Got a picture?

Carl.

That's why I didn't just jump in with my old school carpenter mentality of "I can fix anything..." lucky for me the guy I bought it from has a conscience.
I see you have a Ross Barracuda in your fleet...
First bike I ever had as a kid about 67' too.
Got a picture?

Carl.

20171108_101842_Burst01.jpg

It's one of my favorites

So while I wait for the postman I'm doing some research on another build I've got planned... how tough would it be to fab this treadle drive from scratch and have it driving a sprocket... cuz that would allow you to put your frame right down on the ground, since you wouldn't need to clear the crank...
DSC06773-1920x1558-1200x974.jpg

1880's Star

Carl.

Does the silverking have steel inserts or pins in it? If so, you’re taking a big risk anodizing it. The process will eat them if not masked perfectly which Im guessing might be impossible or not desirable given that the purpose would be cosmetic not functional.

I’d go with a candy paint/powder.

Seems like a lot of people have a interest in 1800's bikes. I did mention last year the 1800s and early 1900s build-off would be great.
bummer on the frame,but great you can swap it out.

So while I wait for the postman I'm doing some research on another build I've got planned... how tough would it be to fab this treadle drive from scratch and have it driving a sprocket... cuz that would allow you to put your frame right down on the ground, since you wouldn't need to clear the crank...
DSC06773-1920x1558-1200x974.jpg

1880's Star

Carl.

I’ve been waiting for the postperson to…

Seems like a lot of people have a interest in 1800's bikes. I did mention last year the 1800s and early 1900s build-off would be great.

I agree it would be great and have a build that’s on my ‘bike build bucket list’ that I’ve been thinking about recently, but I didn’t know it was an old idea. Three wheels inline, centre wheel driving with both front and rear wheels steering. Didn’t know it’d been done before so while waiting for the aforementioned postperson, I spent some time on google and found this…

bike25.jpg

So now I’m thinking of variations on the theme.

Would the build off you mention be a ’replica’ build off or an ‘inspired by’ build off?

Either way, it sounds like fun.

:nerd:

Glen.

I’ve been waiting for the postperson to…

I agree it would be great and have a build that’s on my ‘bike build bucket list’ that I’ve been thinking about recently, but I didn’t know it was an old idea. Three wheels inline, centre wheel driving with both front and rear wheels steering. Didn’t know it’d been done before so while waiting for the aforementioned postperson, I spent some time on google and found this…

View attachment 69606

So now I’m thinking of variations on the theme.

Would the build off you mention be a ’replica’ build off or an ‘inspired by’ build off?

Either way, it sounds like fun.

:nerd:

Glen.
Discussion was last year bro
anyway...
If yer gonna build a 3 wheeler,
might as well make sure it won't fall over.
rotary tandem trike.jpg

a Rotary Tandem at that!

Carl.

Last edited:
@Glen I just downloaded a pic of the exact same bike.
I love the way we all go off in different directions looking ideas.
Now we are starting from the beginning. 1800's

Today I saw a picture of my sprocket...
In celebration let's hear some more BOC

Carl.

I've been thinking about my frame. All aluminum and vintage. Sacrilegious to paint it, anodizing is maybe just as bad, even though both are reversible. Then gold leaf popped into my head. We have a Hobby Lobby nearby and I've seen packets of gold and copper leaf there. I think I'm onto something...
Shiny and patina at the same time and not limited to my frame either.

Carl.

Last edited:
Leaf would be easier to do smaller parts or surfaces that vary in direction, like lugs. Leaf on tubes wouldn't come out looking like plating, but have a mottled effect with all the patches of leaf and it would need a clear coat or something to protect it. Graphic vinyl would probably work better for the tubes, though it probably takes a little practice to get it to stretch right without wrinkles on curved tubing.

Ok @Duchess you see where I'm going, but without seeing it. I'm not leafing all of the tubes. Just on the ends by the sockets, mottled copper and gold. A faux patina that never existed before. Will it need some clear coating? Maybe probably. A friend of mine sprayed clear coat so thick, over a bare metal build he did, that it looks like it was dipped. But I'm thinking more like just a bit floated on over the leaf. So like I said before it isn't just on the frame either. I believe I can blend parts new and old with this "anti-patina" technique. Now I'm even more anxious for the frame to arrive.

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back