Tyranny & Mutation / '36 Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will find that once you start getting to a polished state, even the surface imperfections look cool. Some you will be able to sand/polish out, but some of the gouges and pits will just turn into shiny gouges and pits.

I've been scrubbing on this thing for a couple hours with sanding blocks and brass wire wheel. The more I work on it, the more I find. @kingfish254 is right there's character in the pitted patina. But there are dents and scratches that don't add to the cool factor at all!
KIMG1698.JPG
KIMG1699.JPG
KIMG1701.JPG
KIMG1706.JPG
It's getting there...

Carl.

So it might be tweaked just a bit...
KIMG1707.JPG
KIMG1708.JPG
KIMG1710.JPG

But it may just be the offset built into the BB.
Next mockup I'll look at the from the rear...
Either way it's rolling down the road like this.
It's not like I can rebend cast aluminum.

Carl.

It looks to me like the dropouts are also offset.
I believe this bike has been pulled apart and put back together at least once. Repairs were made before I got it and I've found a loose tube!
The seat tube is able to slip out of the BB a bit like it's not pushed all the way in...

Carl.

So you shouldn't be able to do this...
KIMG1711.JPG

Note the top of the tube below. Maybe I can get the tube to slide down some, it seems to be there at the top of the seat tube casting. Is that a pin holding the tube?
KIMG1712.JPG

I hope I can at least sleeve it... I'm thinking of trying that as a last resort. A little JB Weld from below and a bit of seatpost I have, that is tight, driven down from above. Like I said that is a down and dirty last resort repair. I need to research it some more to see how these are taken apart and repaired. Because it doesn't look broken, it looks like it wasn't inserted far enough when they reassembled it. o_O

Carl. [emoji174]

I always like your builds Carl.
Hopefully you’ll get past the frame issues (I wouldn’t bet against you).
One thing that concerns me about your seatpost idea is the aluminum seat tube. The force from sitting/bouncing may deform the tube (potentially even causing a split from the inside), unless you manage to keep the wedge within the cast iron portion.
Just thinking out loud.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always like your builds Carl.
Hopefully you’ll get past the frame issues (I wouldn’t bet against you).
One thing that concerns me about your seatpost idea is the aluminum seat tube. The force from sitting/bouncing may deform the tube (potentially even causing a split from the inside), unless you manage to keep the wedge within the cast iron portion.
Just thinking out loud.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Cast Aluminum... yeah I'm thinking a long seat post to get down into the center of the tube. I believe the key will be the get a good fit, not too tight, but tight. You know what I mean? But the issue at the BB is a deal breaker. If I can't repair it, it won't ride. Not that I ever stand in the pedals, but too much pressure there would lead to a frame failure for sure.

Carl.
emoji174.png

Possible frame swap. Seller of this bike is a great guy and has offered to make a swap with me for another Silver King. So I'm going to shelve work on this frame and continue to source parts like I'm still building a SK. Hopefully I am... Got a line on the sprocket I want, still looking for a dogleg but I actually might have one in my boneyard. Gotta dig it out of the snowbank (under a tarp). Punch list is about the same then...

Carl.

Hope the frame swap works out. Shame about the work you've put into this frame but at least you found the issue now rather than later.

Hope the frame swap works out. Shame about the work you've put into this frame but at least you found the issue now rather than later.
Thanks! Really a lot of daydreaming and mockup along with a couple hours of cleanup and sanding is all I've got in it (well that and my purchase price...) so I'm ok. Gonna lose some time but if I get my act together I could get to fabbing the seatpost and checking my boneyard for parts. Really I need to go hustle up some cash. Christmas did it's thing and I'm thin and the build parts I'm looking for ain't cheap. A 57mm rim is the first purchase I need to make.

Carl.

I don't know if the person your dealing with is on this site...but, if he isn't...I wouldn't mind if you passed along my interest in it :grin:. If the price is right...I would like a crack at trying to disassemble and rebuilding it.

Jason
I can do that... He's here...

Carl.

002-14.JPG
I did this one for my wife, ten years ago....She hated it! The woman's frame has so much "flex", side to side, where the top and down tubes met the BB. The joints had no play....I don't know about the men's frame, but the woman's frame felt like it could snap at anytime.....Bike was striped and sold to a collector.

@KOTA there's not many women's frames I like the look of (with the exception of a Mixte frame) and the SK step thru frame is one of the worst (although... between the bare metal and your build style including the KOTA bent fork, yours looks pretty good) I've builtup a few bikes for my lady and she always seems to like the last one better than the new one. But I've yet to find a mixte for her.

Carl.

Aluminum frames are in transit from one destination to another... too bad one of the destinations isn't my house, YET. So I'm still trying different forks in my head and trying to convince myself it'll be unique enough to justify anodizing or metal powdercoating the tubes of an aluminum classic. I've a feeling I'd be keelhauled if this was the CABE.

Time to jam...
This is probably my favorite BOC song...

Carl.

Kind of reminds me of why I sold my SK, I love them I just cant deal with the cast aluminum. I like that steel frames can just be bent back in to shape, and I'd be super mad at my self if I broke a $250+ frame.

Latest posts

Back