Tour de Fat San Diego Saturday Sept 28th

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there with my wife and son, and these three:

IMG_0111.jpg

rydr1, keep an eye out for me; I have something for you.

Blackwell, you can't go wrong with your beer bike. That thing was a hit last year and pretty sure it will be again this year.

My wife and 2 year old will be with me this year so I'll be spending more time outside the beer garden. Hopefully we can get a good seat outside by the yo-yo show fence. Pretty cool that your son and wife is making it this year. I'll send you a PM.

Just got back from tour de fat and we had a good time.

Got a few items for my build. One is a TDF bicycle plate and the second item was a set of sweet custom made New Belgium beer valve caps that Blackwell hooked me up with. These caps are nicely built and look great on my Indian build, thanks man.

y8y6e6yv.jpg
ru7a9ujy.jpg

pa5yvy4y.jpg

That was by far the biggest TDF in San Diego since they started having them here, only stayed and hour or so after the ride(end of the slow ride contest) and headed up Adams Ave for some food, the trucks weren't getting it done.

I was with a couple of gals, had these 3 bikes there;

e39b4fdd.jpg

regeared36t_zps5f6f33c3.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Socal jack, I hear you on the food truck issue. It was taking 45minutes to get burgers, no joke or exaggeration either. Last years food trucks and stands were a lot faster. It was fun though.

rydr1 said:
Socal jack, I hear you on the food truck issue. It was taking 45minutes to get burgers, no joke or exaggeration either. Last years food trucks and stands were a lot faster. It was fun though.

Yeah, we had a couple brews then got in a food line and didn't move, think they just got overwhelmed this year. We had a friend out of town with a standing offer to park in their driveway off 33rd right below Adams like 150 yards max so it was a no brainer, got some good Greek grub within 20 minutes and checked out some bands. Would've like to have stuck around another hour or so at TDF, oh well maybe bring some back-up food in my hydration pack next year, or just ride back over to South Park pretty much a straight shot across not doing the TDF route on Date.

Socal, just noticed your in Encinitas. I work at the VW dealer there. What bike shops would you recommend around there. I've had bad experience at the shop by trader Joe's.

Wow, surprised to hear that but I think it depends who is working. Some of the guys are jacked on old bikes others just want to sell ya new stuff. That said they don't have a lot of cruiser stuff outside of Electra aftermarket gear.

If you want the real deal go over to Cardiff, my friend Eric Contreras' Cardiff Bike Shop at 2141 Newcastle. He only deals in older bikes and mostly Schwinns he's "a bike guy", and he has a good supply of vintage parts(and bikes) and charges very fair labor as its not his main job(usually after work during week, all day Sat, Sunday half maybe). If you're interested he also organizes the bike section for the Encinitas Holiday parade we meet at the shop ~4 it'll be Dec 7th this year. Deck the bikes out with lights etc a good time

Another great time at the SD TdF. Lots more people this year for sure. The food trucks were a bummer, though. My wife stood in line for a while, but it was going to be an hour wait for a burger, so we just ended up with some fries. One of the truck workers told her there were a thousand more people than they expected.
A little bummed about the beers, too - the TdF site said they'd be pouring 10 different NB beers, but it looks like they only had 3. Oh well. They were still good. Great entertainment again this year, too.
Glad you like the caps, rydr1! They do look good on that Indian.

We had a great time at our first TDF. I brought along 9 friend as well as my family so there were 12 of us. My son learned to ride just so we could come to the event. He was just a little bit blown away with all the bikes as we all were, what a great event. see you guys next year for sure.

Back