To buy or not to buy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I hate it when there is something that you really want (bike stuff) but you just don't know if you should spend the money or not because you know your wife will kill you, ha ha!!! I could have bought a perfect X53 springer, fenders & rear rack today but it was $350, which is not a bad deal but man that's a lot of money for just a few parts. I passed on it but hopefully something cheaper will come up in the future.

What i do is buy it then explain myself later. because if you ask your wife first she will say No. but if you Just buy it she is mad for a day or two then she is over it and you have your parts. :D

npence said:
What i do is buy it then explain myself later. because if you ask your wife first she will say No. but if you Just buy it she is mad for a day or two then she is over it and you have your parts. :D
That is very true Nate. It seems like a lot of money for those parts but they are hard to find.

Hows the saying go ... " it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission " ... something like that anyway :lol:

What's that classic line about asking forgiveness vs. asking permission?

Luckily my wife's MOSTLY onboard with what I'm doing. She didn't wince too badly last night when I told her the price (rapefest) of a certain chain guard I finally acquired...

I squirrel away money all the time, and have enough to buy a few things here and there. She thinks I get a lot of stuff free, or I traded for parts I hid up in the rafters. "Look Hon, someone sent me a Typhoon frame! For free!". $350 is a whole lot of money, I'd have to have the whole bike and it would have to be an X53 or something that good. And I couldn't pass it off as a freebie or cheap trade, I'd have to give up beer for a couple weeks.

i buy what i want.as long as i have the money that is. :)
in my household this applies;
[1 Corinthians 11:3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.{KJV}

NEVER let your wife into your paypal account! If she hears the UPS truck, tell her it was at the neighbors. I have a hiding spot my UPS driver drops my stuff at, as long as it's my regular driver I'm OK.

I wrestle with the thought of spending on bike parts all of the time. Good stuff always sells if you need to get rid of it and X-53 stuff is good stuff. If your patient though you'll find stuff as the summer goes along.

This doesn't always work for every bike but heres an example of what I did with my Colorflow and several other bikes I own. I bought 3 Colorflows (2 boys and 1 girls) over a period of about 6 months. Cost me $900 and change total. Each one was missing something but between the three I had every part I needed to complete 1 correct boys bike. Just like your X-53 the Colorflow is popular and parts are very desirable. I sold off all of the extra stuff and to date have about $85 in my complete bike with enough stuff left to sell I'll actually end up with a free Colorflow. I've found it easier and cheaper in the long run to buy whole bikes rather than just parts...up front cost is more but the end result is less money in your bikes. My wife is happy because she sees money coming back in and not just going out. I haven't heard her complain in months about this hobby. It also irritates the bejeebers out of the don't part it out guys........just a little added bonus when you do part them out :mrgreen: Seriously though it gives guys the opportunity to get a few things that are they trying find to put one back together.

I have a neighbor with a girls X-53 hanging in his shed. Give me till the weekend and I'll see if he wants to sell it. I was going to try and get it for myself and part it out (hey it's not about making money for me....just trying to support my hobby without spending out of pocket money). I'd be glad to turn you on to it. My wife could still use a hand......just keep me in mind :mrgreen:

I just wanted to add that the above way I do things is the only way I can afford to buy a few better bikes. This is a fantastic hobby, but not always cheap.

tough debate here, I guess it depends on your wife and amount of income, myself I work on a don't ask don't tell policy, she rarely ever goes out to the shed so I'm pretty safe, I also have stuff sent to my work address. Then the rare case she wonders into the shed and asks where that bike came from I say Oh I paid $400 for it about 6 months ago. Then I do 1 night on the couch for not telling her instead of 3 weeks for spending that much on the bike. :wink:

At my house, we both look forward to the UPS truck, it's either QVC or something from one of you guys! :D

We don't keep any money issues secret from each other, that way there's never a problem.
But we do consult each other if the purchase is going to be large before we make it.

She went with me to pick up a bike tonight, and helped me find the house number in the dark. 'Course it was only $10. :lol:

I always drag her out to the garage to admire my latest find. She's totally down with my hobby, offers encouragement.
No you can't have her, she's taken!!!!!!!!! :D

Over the last 30 years we've had a joint acct. and we each have our own accts. and we've avoided most of the $$$ stress that many families have.

jerrykr said:
At my house, we both look forward to the UPS truck, it's either QVC or something from one of you guys! :D

We don't keep any money issues secret from each other, that way there's never a problem.
But we do consult each other if the purchase is going to be large before we make it.

She went with me to pick up a bike tonight, and helped me find the house number in the dark. 'Course it was only $10. :lol:

I always drag her out to the garage to admire my latest find. She's totally down with my hobby, offers encouragement.
No you can't have her, she's taken!!!!!!!!! :D

My wife and I are exactly the same way. She supports this hobby as well as my guitar fetish. I collect vintage guitars too. Heck, she has bought most of my guitars for me and half my bikes. She is taken also. :wink:

sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness that get permission. 8)

Back