TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-5/9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-7/20

You have no choice but to keep trying, that front end is worth the trouble. You might have to kill the bolt. Have you loosened the top nut? Tried driving it downward? Drenched it w/WD-40 or PB Blaster? Twisting w/pipe wrench? (yikes, don't twist the steer tube!) Good luck!

Oh man! That's beautiful! Are you still going to part it? It's almost a shame to do that- as a woman's bike, and with the "evanaction" springer, I could see why you might, but I would definitely leave that alone if it were me. It's so clean and original... An utterly awesome find... that is so cool... great score on that one.

Unchained said:
Oh man! That's beautiful! Are you still going to part it? It's almost a shame to do that- as a woman's bike, and with the "evanaction" springer, I could see why you might, but I would definitely leave that alone if it were me. It's so clean and original... An utterly awesome find... that is so cool... great score on that one.
yah see, I dont think im going to paint any of the parts and im going to hold onto everything, so if i ever want to go back, I can

deorman said:
You have no choice but to keep trying, that front end is worth the trouble. You might have to kill the bolt. Have you loosened the top nut? Tried driving it downward? Drenched it w/WD-40 or PB Blaster? Twisting w/pipe wrench? (yikes, don't twist the steer tube!) Good luck!
what do you mean killing the bolt? Ive driven it downward with nothing happening, When i loosen it it just squeeks and fails... It sounds like its broken, but i doubt it is.

What would loosening the top nut do?
I have yet to try that.

Too afraid to touch it with a pipe wrench

Turn the bike over and spray PB plaster into the steer tube and let it soak. Sometimes I let it soak for a day or so. It may be to late but before you take it all apart you should see how much the boys version (without the cool fork) is selling for on ebay right now. :shock:

I'm not really sure why loosening the top nut works, but sometimes it does. I guess the pressure of the threads when it's tight squeezes the tube or something. As far as the bolt, I just meant if the body moves but the bolt/wedge doesn't you could grind the head off or something, just to get it off and work on it. It doesn't look very rusty to me, the steer tube may be deformed from over tightening, the bolt turning without going in or out would indicate that possibility.

deorman said:
I'm not really sure why loosening the top nut works, but sometimes it does. I guess the pressure of the threads when it's tight squeezes the tube or something. As far as the bolt, I just meant if the body moves but the bolt/wedge doesn't you could grind the head off or something, just to get it off and work on it. It doesn't look very rusty to me, the head tube may be deformed from over tightening, the bolt turning without going in or out would indicate that possibility.

It kind of goes out...not much happens, The usual thing that happens with me is i loosen the bolt smack it with a hammer and out comes the stem...geuss not.
There is no rust whatsoever...there might be inside

I greased the heck out of it...it leaks when it sits upside down, it gives me the illusion that its coming out and i get excited, wipe it off and frown

That is the normal way as far as I know, but sometimes someone cranks it down with 3/4 drive or breaker bar and screws it up. :x :(

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-7/23

Mom told me about 2 months ago about a bike in a window in a sewing store. I never got to looking at it. About a month ago i went to go look at it and gave them my name and number if they ever wanted to sell it.
I got a call from the store owner(nobody i talked to from the store) telling me to make an offer on it, I went and looked at it again...and didnt want to pay too much for it. i left a message on the guy's phone saying ill pay $20 and never got a call back. So today i got another call from the guys wife telling me to come look at it....she said she wanted to get $75...realized i customize bikes and gave it to me...I dont know why
DSCF0678.jpg

Free is free though, Right?

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-7/25

Well, I wanted a Jamis Boss from someone who posted it on here. Mike CS 4 Life.
I met him at stoney creek, Where there was a BMX museum meeting. I was there for hours...waiting for him to get there
so i chatted with some of the guys(one of which didnt do purely bmx) and talked to one of my friends from school that ended up being there.
Bought some grips because they felt nice(Odyessy griswalds...they even have the griswald wagon on em!)
and some doughnuts, for the U-Haul when its all done.

Left...Got a call from my friend telling me the guy finally got there, 5 minutes away...i drove back
Picked up the bike, and other things. Left with a 3 piece and wald bars i didnt want.

Anywho, here we are
IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-8/11

Finally got my trike ive been searching for

Traded a bunch of parts i didnt really want laying around for these two things:
IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

A bunch of sprockets, a damaged schwinn frame a set of pedals that truss bar frame and a straight bar i didnt like

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-8/14

This weekend was the antique yard sale trail(absurdly large amount of garage sales)

all i purchases was this stuff:
IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

$10 for the bike(bad rear wheel) using for parts
.30 For the TUFF II Gutless wheel
.75 for the new cage pedals

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-8/24

Driving home from my dad's house to find this in a pile of trash, it was with a excersize bike...

The child rack looks steam-punk to me.
No plans but part out for this thing...The frame/guard will be available for sale
IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-8/27

More stuff...of course

Bought this one as an "Investment". I plan on parting it out, But be patient...it may be parted out quickly at home.
I plan on keeping a few parts...but im not sure, if it sells, it sells
IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

The JC higgins badge
IMG_4081.jpg

Great tank...with awesome patina
IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

Anybody remember the bike i was supposed to go pickup in toledo?? but a forum member beat me to it?
Well, its in my posession now. And i thank flatlander again, Hes a great guy.
Its got a bunch of cool little details. I'm thinking about slapping it together for a school bopper...school banger...anti-get stolen bike...you know what i mean.
Since i dont feel like paying another $30 this year for another parking permit, ill need a bike to ride that probably wont get stolen.

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

original owner
IMG_4091.jpg

nifty little decal thing
IMG_4092.jpg

Re: TheFlyingDingo's Fresh bikes-New bike(s)-8/29

More stuff!!

On my way to go pickup some bikes i had to burn some time, so i stopped at salvation army and saw this out front
$10.00 got me this nice bike to sell...or a nice bike to rip parts off of...Im thinking parts,
but my good idea is put it on CL for a few days then if it doesnt sell, rip it apart

bad basement picture
IMG_4095.jpg

The main thing i wanted to get was this gambles hiawatha with a crazy fork on it...not sure my plans for the fork...email if interested in it.
its got a nice frame...came complete ish...most parts are trash though
another bad basement picture
the guy i bought it from has a few other bikes im going to go back and buy, awesome guy...apparently had lots of those steel clad wooden wheel things...whatever theyre called bikes...the really old ones
IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

Back