The Wormwood Limited 7/31 'pin striping' and rolling frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/5 SPRINGER ISSUES!!!

maybe tweak both sides equally toward each other so they meet in the middle. i tried doing just one side in the past and i ended up kinking the tube.

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/6 teaser and springer update

Thank you to all those who have offered suggestions for sorting the springer, I have some exciting news :) I recieved an email back from the company I bought the fork from, and they are, believe it or not, sending me another one (hand picked by the customer service rep none the less) free of charge! Yahoo! :mrgreen: I hope this will take care of it all then!

I have been holding out on pics of finished bike parts as it has been slow going getting things together, I work full time and the weather has been bad for painting and major work. But, I found out I can have access to the media blaster at work, so the handlebars, fenders, heck anything I can fit in the booth is going to be getting 'blasted' in the next day or so :) I'll post before and after pics then :)

I also changed part of the colour scheme I had in mind for this bike after doing some more painting last night. I had always planned to do parts that should be 'chrome' in copper, but here's a little teaser :)

IMG_1414.jpg

The bike is going to look good I think in the Cu tones Is this what the secret part is for? if so colors should go good. Leather Grips? I PM'd ya parts on the way.
Gary

I got to log a bit of time wit hthe media blaster after work tonite, and here's the result: a nice clean set of handlebars and 2 fairly clean fenders (my goal was to basically get all the rust and corosion off, the struts were really bad but since they are rivited on, they would be pain for me to replace)

IMG_1420.jpg

Also, I was thrilled to recieve my seat for this bike yesterday night, RRBO 5 lurkers recognize it? :) A huge thank you to Gary, he's one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of dealing with in internet-land, and a true gentleman. And I must say, this is perhaps the most stylish seat I have ever seen!

IMG_1418.jpg

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/8, aka Dude, crank that media blaster

Your build is lookin so good! I like the filled lettering on the brake arm, but how are you going to make the morning coffee "cause the vandels took the handle" B.Dylan

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/8, aka Dude, crank that media blaster

A little update from this weekend’s work, ladies and gentlemen.

First off, the finished wheels (the valve caps have since been painted pistachio green as well)

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

I also began work on a tank plate. The good old ‘I don’t have $ for a real Schwinn tank/access to a welder/wood might look cool on this build’ solution

The cardboard template (that ‘important notice’ should have mentioned measuring twice+++ and cutting once, as I messed up the top contour and had to spend more time with strips of cardboard building it back up. Bugger)
IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Time to break out the varnish.
IMG_1440.jpg

This is spirit varnish, it’s a pleasure to work with, dries hard and fairly quickly (as opposed to oil varnish) and dilutes in Everclear (!!!). The mix I made dried a little more brown than I would have liked, possible because I didn’t do an undercoat like I would on an instrument. I’m hoping to make it a little more red/amber, to sit somewhere between the Cu parts on the bike and the seat leather. It will not remain all wood grain, I have some other plans for it as well, but this is step one. Here it is after one coat, many more to go!
IMG_1441.jpg

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/13 wheels and tank

Nice look for the wheels and the green striping is cool. that chain would have matched my sprocket nice.

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/13 wheels and tank

After a few crazy weeks, I have some progress to report (can't get rid of me that easy fellas and gals :wink: )

A stack of finished parts. I kind of did this build 'backward', starting with painting and detailing all of the components and then working on the frame. Here's some extraneous parts, including the finished front fender (the rear was still drying from the clear coat at the time)

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

And... frame time

Sanded and cleaned up for priming
IMG_1457.jpg

Primed
IMG_1462.jpg

Painted up. It's a nice glossy black, I don't know why it looks so grey in the pictures
IMG_1465.jpg

Stay tuned for another update and the finished tank plate, aka 'poor man's pinstriping'

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/26 a painted frame and etc

An early morning update:

I wanted to do some pin striping on my tank plate, but I am horrible at making quality straight lines like that, so I didn't even want to attempt it and wreck my tank. So I put my thinking cap on and came up with this: I call it the 'lamination method' for pin striping (or pin striping for the rest of us :D )

tag board templates cut out
IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

Some painting
IMG_1471.jpg

Presto!
IMG_1475.jpg

And the long awaited moments building up to a rolling frame :D More details of this to come!

Final clear enamel coating
IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

The machine, long and lean
IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

Back