The Wormwood Limited 7/31 'pin striping' and rolling frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw in a late entry.

This is my first RRBO build, and I must confess, my first bike build in general besided the Swing King I worked on. I've been wanting to enter a bike, but had no leads on a frame or anything much else until I found this over the weekend. I believe it's a Schwinn Typhoon. It needs some TLC but its just the ticket for what I'm looking to do.

I do not want to give too much away at this point, but my inspirations for this bike are a combination of steampunk, violins and woodworking, and absinthe :)

The bike as it stands now:

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

I do need to ask a major favour of anyone who might be able/willign to help me out. I am still trying to track down some parts for this build, and my wish list is as follows:

- a 'lucky 7' seat post

- FOUND a cruiser seat, preferrably with springs, open ot almost anything in almost any condition

- FOUND a small sprocket, like one off of a rear wheel or a tiny one from a gear cluster, the smaller the better.

- FOUND a chain (not skiptooth)

- any old plumbing parts, preferrably copper/brass or copper metal scrap

If you have any of these items and are willing to part with them, please PM me and I will be happy to try to work out a deal. Donations are always welcome too :) If any donations come through, I will be placign the names od the donors on a small plaque on the finished bike (at the donor's descerssion of course)

Re: The Wormwood Limited Steam Bike

so, when your finished, is the bike gonna make you hallucinate? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool....mmmmmmmmm.absinthe.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Strings_and_steam said:
- a small sprocket, like one off of a rear wheel or a tiny one from a gear cluster, the smaller the better.

How many teeth are you talking about? Is it going on a crank or is it going to be welded to something? does the offset matter? I might have a couple that might work...

How many teeth are you talking about? Is it going on a crank or is it going to be welded to something? does the offset matter? I might have a couple that might work

I'm not too picky about how many teeth, looking for maybe 9-20 (I'm not an expert on sizes, I've seen some teeny 9 toothed ones, I wouldnt want to go smaller than that, but a bit bigger is okay), it's not going on a wheel, and offset doesn't matter much, it would be helpful it it was offset a little, but that's not a requirement. Let me know if you might have something you'd consider parting with, thank you for letting me know!

Tonight's progress:

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

Anyone looking for a Schwinn headbadge? This one won't be returning to the bike.

Re: The Wormwood Limited Steam Bike update 6/22

These are the few I have. The bigger ones are 36 teeth and the smaller black one is 30 teeth and it has a little offset. Let me know if you want any of them. unfortunately, I don't have any smaller than this.

4726366856_795d7cdf83.jpg

I like the idea so far man, sounds like quite a journey.

A quick update, as I havn't posted anything recently.

I've been attacking rust and grime with carb cleaner in one hand, and either a rotary wire wheel or wire brush in the other. I have done some priming, and things are getting there. This is the slow part, amd I'm itching to make more progress. I couldn't resist completing one part of the build, here is is :) I realize I'm actually not the first to do this this year :)

IMG_1383.jpg

Re: The Wormwood Limited Steam Bike update 6/29

Here are some pictures of tonight's progress:

I explored the last 'great unknown' for me on this bike, which was the dreaded Bendix coaster hub. I have never had one of these apart before, and had no idea what I was getting myself into (aka I had the wheel clamped vertical and as it came apart, sh*t almost hit the... floor :shock: :shock: ). But it's in pieces now, everything looks pretty good. I already cleaned and painted my front wheel to test my concept for painting (1 coat automotive primer, 3 light coats color, 2 coats sealer) so I thought I shoudl at least document the rear. It still needs to be sanded and cleaned, but will then get the same treatment as the front wheel.

Question: to paint the rear sprocket or not to paint the rear sprocket? I'm leaning towards not, as it may be more trouble than its worth and not seen much anyway.

Coaster hub guts (kind of graphic, not for the faint of heart or chindren under 7 :wink: )
IMG_1392.jpg

Rear wheel waiting to be cleaned, sanded and preped for paint:
IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

The frame, in all its naked glory, waiting to be cleaned and sanded.
IMG_1394.jpg

More to come soon...

Re: The Wormwood Limited Steam Bike 6/30

is that a viola in the background?

It is actually a violin, my workshop is usually catering to violins and such, and this is the first bicycle to come through it :) I've been playing viola for 13 years, it was the first instrument I learned :D

I would SO clean those wheels and frame thoroughly, and ride them as is!

I was rather tempted to do just that, perhaps strip it all down and just use it raw, but I chose a different direction for this bike. I hope to do it justice :)

A little update, and a problem...

I almost have my wheels painted up and finished, I'll post up pics of them and my handlebars and some other parts that are finished soon :)

Now my problem...

I ordered a springer fork for this build, but when it arrived, it looks like its off skew. I have never installed a springer fork before, and do not knwo if this sort of thing is normal or will straighten itself when installed, but it looks really off to my eye. Perhaps someone more well versed in the art of the springer coudl give me a second opinion/sage advice? :) I've already sent an email to the place I got this from about my concerns.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

And some painting, on the Bendix brake arm and a lever for my 'secret weapon' :) I hear those are all the rage in these build offs :) The lettering on the brake arm will be done in a lighter colour for contrast.

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Re: The Wormwood Limited 7/5 SPRINGER ISSUES!!!

you'll want to run the straight struts on the out side, but yeah, looks a bit off...

Strings_and_steam said:
A little update, and a problem...

I almost have my wheels painted up and finished, I'll post up pics of them and my handlebars and some other parts that are finished soon :)

Now my problem...

I ordered a springer fork for this build, but when it arrived, it looks like its off skew. I have never installed a springer fork before, and do not know if this sort of thing is normal or will straighten itself when installed, but it looks really off to my eye. Perhaps someone more well versed in the art of the springer could give me a second opinion/sage advice? :) I've already sent an email to the place I got this from about my concerns.

All my BFK's had the same fork disease. Typical Chinese tolerance. I think the easiest thing to do would be to straighten the leg with the most curve to match the other one. A scrap 2x4 and a rubber mallet is all you need.

If you have an eye for repairing violins this should be a cinch! :D

Sometimes if you flip the steer tube front to back it falls in to line. I used one for a while, it was cockeyed one way, and right in plane the other. :? :roll: Or possibly rearrange the legs.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at switching the tube around to see if that corrects it, I never thought about that. Otherwise, the mallet and 2x4 option sounds pretty good too :) The company emailed me back and thought it was a consequence of problems whiel shipping... the box is immaculate however :? So I'm kinda thinking trying to sort it myself is the best bet. One of the straight rods was put on backwards too when I got it, and I switched it around. Blarg crummy imports.

Back