The Late Starter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better late than never right?

I have no idea what I'm going to do for this build, but hopefully I'll actually finish this one!

SO! Here's what I have to start with. Two rear wheels. Do I go with the 24" skip tooth? or the 26" standard...
decisions, decisions... Any suggestions?

wheels.jpg

I have everything to build a rat, except for the frame! haha. If anyone has a 26 inch frame for *cheap, let me know. Would prefer local (SF bay area) but whatever.

let me know if you are interested in driving to the sacramento area? there are a few on here who might have something

Any pics on the racer frame?? If not no worries.

Karfer67: Maybe. definitely maybe. haha. that's a bit of a distance when I have a full work schedule, but I will let you know. thanks!

Kram: I'll for sure buy that racer frame. PM sent

OK! My first progress pics!

Frame is an early 60's schwinn racer that Kram has generously donated to my project. Nice and straight frame. I put a quick layer of primer on and was just going to leave it like that, but I'm not thrilled with the color.. we'll see.
bulidoffframe.jpg

Check out my wicked parts though! Schwinn BMX saddle, a speedometer off an exer-cycle, super old and cool platform pedals that don't even match! The bars are off of the exer-cycle as well.
buildoffparts.jpg

Haven't nailed down a drive train yet.. but that's next!

Those are great frames. My first 1.75" wheels w/gears build, late '70's used 1 in black. I learned not to check drive line noises while hauling buns past parked cars on it. :shock: OUCH!!! :x I don't recommend that class. :p

yeah i've pretty much decided it's going to have either 26's both front and rear or a 26 in the rear and a 27 in the front. no idea what style i'm going for yet.. so far, i have parts coming from my "extras" bin, an old exer-cycle and a briggs and stratton lawn edger from the sixties, haha. we'll see what i end up with..

i like the color, clear coat and be done with it. run with 26'6, oh ya baby, thats hot

Outlaw

Couple mock up pics! Not sure I like the wheel set on there but it'll have to do until I find something more to my liking.

racermockup.jpg

IMGP0404.jpg

IMGP0403.jpg

On my way out the door to take some pics of it finished. have a complete drivetrain and grips and seat post clamp. Now I just need to find a place with enough light to take a pic at night... :lol:

Latest posts

Back