The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graylock said:
ZygoteLittle said:
What were some of the ‘goodies’ that you rescued? Were there any friction shifters in the bunch? I am always in the market for early Suntour shifters.
Take care of yourself, GL.
Yeah I got a few ...... you got a picture of what style? I imagine it's those long metal shifters.

GL
Hi GL, the friction shifters I use are the stem mounted type found on road and touring bikes from the mid-70’s to early 80’s. Suntour shifters of that era were and still are the standard because of their serviceability and overall reliability; moreover, they can still be used with modern (non-electric) front/rear derailres!

If you have any, let me know – please; I would be interested in purchase/trade the next time we meet.

Peace GL

"Nutcracker" w/water bottle, air pump, bar grips, kickstand and tool bag - she's ready :!:
Nutcracker001.jpg

A brief update on the Nutcracker; two days ago I received the rebuilt front wheel, it needed a re-spoke, the original hub and hoop were fine but the spokes – not so much. It was decided after looking at the trail ride we are going on and I didn’t want any of the old spokes breaking while on the ride.

Looking forward to this ride with you guys!

Evolution of an Ayer Flatlander:
AyerFlatlander003.jpg

Flatlander003.jpg

Nutcracker001.jpg

Hey Jose...Thanks for "bumping" this up. I just logged on to find this thread. Just went back to working on mine. Going over gear ratios. I think I'll end up with a 46t with an 18t on a 27 inch rim....But I'm thinking I'm getting lazier as I get older...Might do a 44t. :roll:

Hi Larry, there isn’t anything lazy about having a ‘spinner’ ratio (lower gear ratio). A lot of the collage roadies are now using compact gear sets to save their knees when riding.

With the 46t crank you’ll be pulling 69GI and with the 44t crank 66GI - either works fine.

Already have ONE fake knee, so I only have to worry half as much.

:shock: half as much... :?: I didn’t know you had an artificial knee.

Can't wait for our ride; we should have a goodly number of us going!

Peace Larry

Larry, I thought you got one of those bargain knee jobs with Shimano parts.......
ZL, it's good to see your bumping the build.....
Update on my Flat Lander........... got nothin' .....
Update on Mrs. Graylock.............. she bought a T@B Trailer and has been showing me bike carriers for it. Got to get her Burley strapped on.....
DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0723.jpg

DSCN0722.jpg

These pics are someone elses, ours is a green T@B.

This I can do, Getting ready for road trips and bike rides.

The Graylocks

Hey Graylock, I've had a lot of campers over the years. Had a lot of fun. NICE choice! Perfect size.

ZL, had my left knee done 8 years ago...I can ride with the seat a little lower now. :D

Hi Larry and Peter, the bump was intentional; just a brief update and means to maintain momentum.

It looks like you two have also been preparing – cool, perhaps we could organize a “trial run” in the spring, maybe somewhere in coastal Maine or Connecticut where it’s flat? What do you guys think?

KOTA said:
ZL, had my left knee done 8 years ago...I can ride with the seat a little lower now. :D
8) :!:

Even though I'm not part of this build-off, I wouldn't mind going for a ride with you guys as long as its close :wink: The Simsbury trail by Joe's house is nice and flat :D

Good looking bike Zygotelittle! :D Looks fast with that banana seat! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Simsbury trail idea is a good one; we could go for a shakedown ride of several miles on our Flatlanders and then eat at a local restaurant for lunch (early start)/dinner (later start) afterwards.

Thanks for the comment, SR. Banana seats are so comfortable and besides, they remind me of my youth in the 60’s when I rode my Sting Ray allover Manhattan and then later into Brooklyn with my childhood friends on their muscle bikes!

Leaving the frame as it was (just some hard scrubbing) kept her history intact. She was a fun build indeed! :)

I've been on parts of that trail..Nice ride.

Would be a long ride for Graylock..HEY! He's got a camper now.

8) there will a couple of campers at the Weekend!

Going back - what part of the Simsbury trail would you guys suggest meeting at?

And how do you guy’s feel about a tentative ride date for the second Sunday in March with a 10AM meet-up and 10:30 ride start?

Sounds good!....But it might still be covered with snow. :wink:

Back