The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm liking it...............we miss Joey Mac :|

NLR-04.jpg

Graylock

Good luck riding out this storm Graylock, Looks like you are right in line with it, correct?

KZ1000 said:
Good luck riding out this storm Graylock, Looks like you are right in line with it, correct?

I've been hustling storm panels for two days. Yesterday I had to wait the tide at Lt. Island, waiting over a half hour I drove over in half foot of water, screw it , it's not my truck. With the moon tides and the storm swell we may see Pleasant Bay and Nauset Marsh overcome by an angry Atlantic Ocean. Not good for the low landers................. and now back to our already in progress program.....

.................. and that's all there is to finish the build, thanks for your kind attention.

Graylock

Good luck Graylock.

I'm picking everything up off my basement floor today. Multiple days of rain might get me a few inches of water.

iam now ready for welding , just have to find a place to do it good and cheap , the garage i use to go for this is in the rush until after christmas :cry:
DSCN4928.jpg

DSCN4927.jpg

DSCN4909.jpg

i plan to make it look a litle like this photoshoped image , but i litle more retro, with leather seat and coaster brake :)
profile-IRIDE-track-bike-1200.jpg

my frame is longer and less higher, i think it will look even better

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Good luck Graylock.

I'm picking everything up off my basement floor today. Multiple days of rain might get me a few inches of water.
:cry: that's the worst thing ever! i had a washing machine leak once and i had to open and redo part of the sub floor , i just cant imagine what it would be like to have inches of water all over the basement :? lets just hope it will not happen :|

OneHorsePower ....... your bike is looking real good, I like it :D

Water water everywhere ~~~~~~~~ windy windy everywhere //////// ........ haven't lost power yet, I have an oak tree in my yard that's getting picked on by the winds. Lost some more of it. Everyone that made the Cape Cod Canal bike ride a few weeks ago saw the Sagamore Bridge. When the winds hover at 70 MPH they close it for traffic. Lights are flashing got togo GL

Thank :) i just got an estimation from a welder ... 200$ to do the job (tig welded) :shock: he is out of his mind ! IMO would take less than an hour
(edit) wth , the second one said 250$ those welders are crazy , i reply saying "if you weld it with gold its a good deal" :|

OneHorsePower said:
Thank :) i just got an estimation from a welder ... 200$ to do the job (tig welded) :shock: he is out of his mind ! IMO would take less than an hour
(edit) wth , the second one said 250$ those welders are crazy , i reply saying "if you weld it with gold its a good deal" :|

Electricity and argon gas, other materials, PLUS his time, $200 isn't to bad..........Or you can do it yourself. :wink: Your metal work looks exceptional!

Thanks , but i don't think 200$ is resonable , in fact i found a (bike shop/bike builder/weld repair) that charged me 70$ total , and he is redoing my top tube in stronger chromoly tubing without the notchs ... he also use a milling machine to cut the radious on the tubes to make it fit perfect instead of the grinder/file method i used.
i cant wait to go pick it up in 2 or 3 days :D

Graylock said:
Go here and do it yourself.
i hate to play with electicity ,i electrified my self few time being younger , and now i have a fear of it .. maybe one day , wih a good setup and a friend to teach me the "not to" and "how to"

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
This is a good flat lander. I call it the Joey Mac special. It's a early or mid 70s Zebrakenko 10 speed that Joey gave me when he moved to Austin. I one-speeded it. 52x22 gearing seems ok.
vetesade.jpg
Nicely done – clean and purposeful!

She is pulling 65.24GI or Wheel Diameter: ~27.60 inches X 52T Crank
divided by 22T Cog = 65.24GI

That’s a good final drive gear for a flatlander.

thanks Jose. I hope you're right about the gearing being good... I'll let you know soon as I get a brake on it and ride it some in my area.

I wanted to use the original crank to the bike, but the spider is the actual 52 tooth gear, so there is no elegant way to only use the 42 tooth small ring. The biggest freewheel I could find was this 22t. So it sounds like according to your calculations I should be ok.

iam interested by the results , i will have to find a good ration to , i was running a 42/14 (3 to 1 ratio) before i dismantle mine , good for top speed , but as soon as there is a small incline , its to much .. i dont think the worn crank bearings was the only cause of that

i will get the Sturney archer B2C (coaster brake kick back 2 speed) and done some litle calculation based on my last ratio , and yes i end up with 18t and 42 or 44 in front , not sure yet
this way ill get about2.3 in 1st gear and 3 in second .. not sure cause i have to take a guess on how much a new BB will facilitate pedaling compared to the old one
i dont even know how 2.3 ration feels like , cause the speeds shift from 100% to 138% so i dont know if i will end up in second gear all the time or if 2,3 will also be a good cruising speed

Started the Hampton Beach Weekend in the Events Forum.

The flatlander has been ridding for well over 20-miles so far, the 700X23c tires were as hard as bricks at 100psi; they are a lot more comfortable at the new 75psi setting (I no longer have to worry about losing my fillings when going over a bump!).

I can’t wait for this ride to happen!

got my frame back :D awesome ! they did a really good job on the welds , look stronger than original without a noticable gain in weight
DSCN4931.jpg

DSCN4930.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

sadly i cant use those nice 24flat spokes , cause i need 28 or 36 to fit a coaster brake , so i had to buy a new set witch are in aloy with a stardard coasterhub instead of the SA-b2c , the set is about the same price as the sturmeyarcher b2c hub alone, so it will do for now

Back