The Destruction of a Huffy Cranbrook!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bored...had a few extra bucks so I went to Walmart early this morning to get a bike for a quickie project. I picked the Huffy Cranbrook because I liked the color, wide wheels and PRICE!

So here it is when I got it home

e8.jpg

You know what comes next...teardown! I also started peeling all of the stickers off.

e9.jpg

e10.jpg

As many have said...there was like NO grease on the bearings. So I grease all of the bearings and started reassmbley....but what's this? :shock:

e11.jpg

Yeah a fake Schwinn...lol. It's just that I have a bunch of Schwinn parts so this makes it easier. Also got rid of the whitewalls.

e12.jpg

Starting to go back together

e13.jpg

Tossed the seat post quick clampy thingie and put a nut and bolt in. I also added a lay back seat post that I had in reserve from so many BMX projects

e6.jpg

Added a few Troy Lee Welder Girl decals for a Schwinn I had. I also got a chisel and popped those water bottle inserts out...they look out of place

e4.jpg

e3.jpg

good to see the lay back seat post... I was thinking about that for mine... but was not sure how it would look... I might have to pick your brain on how to grease this ride up... I did not check that on mine... is it just the bottom bracket or the hubs also?

photoaggie said:
good to see the lay back seat post... I was thinking about that for mine... but was not sure how it would look... I might have to pick your brain on how to grease this ride up... I did not check that on mine... is it just the bottom bracket or the hubs also?

I didn't grease the hubs..just the forks and bb. The lay back is a standard of all of my builds here lately....my old lady tells me a few inches can make all the difference. Not sure what she is talking about. :idea:

StepChld said:
Dana Joe said:
Fellow Cranbrook builder, I like it!
Me too! :wink:
P8110061.jpg

Yep I saw your build....made me think the Cranbrook had potential!

Ok...I made up my mind to go the Klunker tribute route tonight. First change was installing the Schwinn Sidewinder handlebars I had....the only problem is that I haven't found a BMX style stem that is 7/8" at the fork and 1" at the bar. So I used my Huffy stem...but as I was removing my grips (glass cleaner and a long skinny screwdriver) I ran a screwdriver clean through my hand between my thumb and forefinger. That brought things to a halt very fast. How do you clean blood off of concrete? :?

I built a Santa Fe 2 which is about the same thing, thicker downtube I think. Nice build, I like the colors. Also I thought I'd like it better with the whitewalls but now that I see it, I like it better with the black walls. Doesn't take away from the rims as much. Good thing you took it apart and greased everything, Walmart bikes are notorious for ZERO quality control.

Also just for future reference the pop rivets are a dead giveaway it's not a true Schwinn. If you really want to pull off the look go to the hardware store and get a self tapping screw and two flat head screws that look like real Schwinn screws with the same thread as the self tapping one you got. tap your holes using the self tapping screw and bolt it on with the two flat head screws, then take a hole-saw on a drill down the head-tube to trim the excess off so you can get the fork in. :wink:

predfan2001 said:
Ok...I made up my mind to go the Klunker tribute route tonight. First change was installing the Schwinn Sidewinder handlebars I had....the only problem is that I haven't found a BMX style stem that is 7/8" at the fork and 1" at the bar. So I used my Huffy stem...but as I was removing my grips (glass cleaner and a long skinny screwdriver) I ran a screwdriver clean through my hand between my thumb and forefinger. That brought things to a halt very fast. How do you clean blood off of concrete? :?

Sounds like you need to try the airgun method of removing grips...

With your thumb over the hole on the end of the grip, shoot air up under the grip and it should come right off. Ive done this to really old crusty hard grips, and they always come sliding right off.

To answer your blood on the concrete question... The Highway patrol carries a couple of two liter bottles of coca-cola for a reason, try it!

predfan2001 said:

Ouch, yeah I have been lucky enough not to do that yet had a few close calls though. I have also found if you use a hairdryer on them for about a minute it helps make the grip a little more pliable and easier to get under.

Well my old method of rremoving grips was really hot water in the kitchen sink....then twisting them off with a rag and the help of a thin screwdriver and soap. Always worked well but I was in a hurry.

I have heard about the air method and silly me forgot that I had finally got a big compressor.

Gotta say though...I like the Klunker inspired theme much better. Much more rideable but I just don't trust this neck much. I know the frame isn't the best, but I am going to be easy on it....just wanting a strong crank system and neck. It should survive for what I want it to do.

Oh and as far as the Schwinn stuff goes....I'd never present it as such if asked. This bike is just for me. I would tell anyone it's a fake...I don't care. I just did it because I wanted to use up these stupid stickers I paid way too much money for! :cry:

outskirtscustoms said:
Also just for future reference the pop rivets are a dead giveaway it's not a true Schwinn. If you really want to pull off... :wink:

It really ain't that big of a deal...now I gotta find me a fake Rolex! :lol:

predfan2001 said:
Oh and as far as the Schwinn stuff goes....I'd never present it as such if asked. This bike is just for me. I would tell anyone it's a fake...I don't care. I just did it because I wanted to use up these stupid stickers I paid way too much money for! :cry:

I hear you there, I have all kinds of people think my bootlegger bike is a 1950's or earlier Schwinn, I have skiptoothed the chain wheel on mine so it throws them off and with the paint it looks old, I tell anybody it's a 2008ish huffy and they are blown away. And honestly there are so many dead giveaways on it, the pedals, the mountain bike style fork, chain-guard, frame mounted water bottle holder, Even the seat says HUFFY. In their defence it does have Schwinn grips and possibly bars on it.
P8190078.jpg

P8190079.jpg

Latest posts

Back