The Destruction of a Huffy Cranbrook!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fireproof said:
outskirtscustoms said:
P8190079.jpg

:lol: :lol: That sure is a tiny water bottle ya got there!!!!! :lol: :lol:
It's just for looks, I've never even put water in it. I always stop somewhere and get a soda or tea

The apes didn't cut it as far as rideability goes so I installed some BMX cruiser bars off of my Schwinn Sidewinder. Rides great! I tried several types of grips and liked the Grab On style the best. These grips came with some cheesy black plastic bar plugs but I stopped my Lowes and grabbed some 3/4" hole plugs (don't get 7/8"...that's the o.d.) and they finished of the grips nicely.

So I guess the next step is to install some more aggressive rubber and my Redline cranks and sprocket. Not sure about pedals...I have several types of rat traps but sort of like bear traps better.

Being an old BMX guy...I like the Klunker style much better.

Photo09101829_1.jpg

For better or worse....I installed a set of mountain bike tires, Redline one piece cranks, Redline sprocket and blue rat trap pedals. Got it done at 10pm....rode it around the yard and neigborhood in the dark. Me likey!!!! Feels like a big BMX bike...just my style. I didn't gain anything in the gearing....it was the same size sprocket.

Pics to come. :mrgreen:

I'd say it's about done. I do want to find a stronger neck but I haven't found one yet that fits this combo...still looking. I may go with blue bear trap pedals later.

S6303695.jpg

S6303693.jpg

S6303694.jpg

Well it looks like my girlfriend has claimed this one...she loves it especially since she's talked me into to teaching her how to weld (ai the welder girl decals).

We were doing some math last night, between the Cranbrook parts I sold at Strikes and Bikes...the Schwinn Sidewinder I bought and parted out...and the Cranbrook parts I used on my dumpster find cruiser to complete it and sold on CL, this bike was free plus about $100 bucks to spare. Can't complain about that and it was really fun. Now gotta find some older stuff for the next project.

I was finally able to go camping this past weekend....she took her mountain bike so I took the Cranbrook to give it a good shake down at the campgrounds and riding paths. I rode the heck out of it and it felt great and rode great. I think I might reclaim it now...but I gotta admit, that single speed sho wore me out. My legs were killing me for 2 days. :(

Back