* THE BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Forks update)

Fork mock up
100_3244.jpg

100_3238.jpg

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Forks Mock up)

kool fork but take a pic from the side from that angle the rear main legs look bent backwards

have you test fit the thick bricks on that frame yet? i know its a middle weight and it may be a really tight fit(ie youll probably need to spread the stays out some).......

I will mock up the wheels and tires this afternoon....the tires are supposed to arrive today. looks like i get to see the big brown santa again :lol:

i still think, if all you need is an 1" to make the forks fit, that taking an angle grinder to the frame will do what ya need.

(ie cutting down the top and bottom of the head tube-after you remove the bearing cups.) :)

GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

The good news is i got my tires in the mail today and they look awesome on the chrome wheels i had waiting for them...

The bad news is neither wheel fits, The tires are too fat. I go a 2.125 instead of the 1.175. the forks i had are made to only fit 1.75. So with that said it looks like I am going to be making some custom rear dropouts to extend the tire out from the frame and i will need to get new forks to attach to my monark springer. :roll:
100_3257.jpg

100_3258.jpg

100_3259.jpg

Also I made a tail light while i was thinking how I was going to fix my wheel problem. I used a mini Wolf's Head oil can (never seen anything like it) led flashlight I picked up at Harbor Freight, and a tail light replacement lens. I cut out a circle the right size out of the lens to fit the can. Then I dropped the led flashlight in closing off the end leaving the button to turn it on and off. ITS SUPER BRIGHT 8)
100_3245.jpg

100_3254.jpg

100_3249.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3256.jpg

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(Good News & Bad News)

kinda figured theyd be to wide(wife wanted to run balloons on he middle weight but they only had 1/16" clearance on either side)
but......
good news is its a fairly easy fix(may need to repaint though since itll probably scratch when spreading the stays) and better news is theres a section in the how tos for spreading stays....

Tough luck on the tires! :( I bet you can sort it out though!! :D Cool ratty tail light!! :mrgreen:

I'm going today to go see what kinda scrap metal I have laying around to make my rear dropouts. Then i wll need to make a design that will extend my tire from the frame and still have an ED ROTH look. im thinking somthing like finns but i dont know for sure yet. after all thats said and done i will weld them over the dropouts on the frame...that should give it enough room for my back tire to fit...

I found some pictures from build off four of bikes who had the same thing done for you who havent cought on yet...(cosmic flyer)
100_0648.jpg

100_0656.jpg

ratina said:
udallcustombikes said:
karfer67 said:
kool fork but take a pic from the side from that angle the rear main legs look bent backwards

+1

Yeah those things are really bent
Yea the forks are bent...I'm not using the pair I had for the mock up pick...I just scored some Monarks from Dr.Tankenstein...he came over today and said that the pair he had would fit my 2.125 front quick brick tire.

Thanks man look forward to getting them :D

+1[/quote]

Yeah those things are really bent[/quote]
Yea the forks are bent...I'm not using the pair I had for the mock up pick...I just scored some Monarks from Dr.Tankenstein...he came over today and said that the pair he had would fit my 2.125 front quick brick tire.

Thanks man look forward to getting them :D[/quote]

Awesome! Cant wait to see it all together!

Warning this post contains really custom work...

After I ran into some problems on the frame with my tires not fitting i realized that i didn't need to spend any more money on the things that really didn't matter to much because right now I cant even get it rolling :lol: so I decided to make a seat instead of putting $75+ into a brooks saddle. So today I am going to teach everyone how to build a seat from nothing and spend little doing so. :wink: This post is completely fool proof including in detailed step.

Materials:
16 gauge sheet metal
seat springs and seat post clamp
foam padding
leather
leather strings or rivets

FIRST
create a design for your seat,(search google) then cut pattern out for your sheet metal. I went for a bobber chopper seat look.
100_3265.jpg

NEXT
Get springs (any springs that don't already have a seat attached to it, i used a set of Persons springs)
100_3268.jpg

100_3266.jpg

NEXT
Trace pattern on sheet metal. Cut seat out of sheet metal ( I used a jig saw) then smooth edges with a grinder.
100_3262.jpg

100_3270.jpg

Next
Make holes for the laces or rivets( I used a drill press to make the hole) its easier to take a punch and make starter dents
100_3273.jpg

Next
Use a dead blow hammer and a steel tube to make bends and shape the seat for strength
100_3275.jpg

Next
Make a heavy duty brace to bolt to the bottom of your seat for strength.
100_3276.jpg

THEN
bold springs on using long enough carrier bold to go all the way threw the seat and the springs
100_3279.jpg

LAST
Preload the springs as much as you want...
100_3280.jpg

Also I am going to cover this with leather and either lace leather strips into it or put rivets into the holes. I know that it is very homemade looking but I went for that look...also with a laid back seat post i will get an even better look. I will get more pic of it after I cover it with some padding and put leather over it.

Any comments feel free to share.

last but not least I give 100% of the credit to our member g-ratter for giving me he idea by showing the seats he has made. thanks man. :!:

Re: *BIG DADDY BANDIT*THE ED ROTH TRIBUTE(With Kustom Seat)

WOW! That looks AWESOME! It was just a set of springs and sheet of metal when I saw it. Looking good.

P.S. I'm sending you a PM with pics of the fork.

Nice work on the seat! :D Looking forward to more photos of it when it's finished!

pretty sweet seat! i like the idea, as ed did make the upholstery himself on a couple cars.

Latest posts

Back