*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (A/C, wheels, and faux BMX update: 6/14)

scrumblero said:
"so I decided that while it was still wet I would torch it"

we got some dangerous peoples on these boards... :lol:

haha It wasn't until the torch was shooting flames at the paint did I think about the paint being flammable. haha I kept the flame far off the paint, but put the flame directly on the underside of the fender and it did catch fire twice, but they were just quick flare ups from the fumes.

Double Nickle said:
LETS GO YOOTHGEYE....CLAP..CLAP..CLAP CLAP CLAP!

Thanks for the motivation. Wish I could be in your race.

Oh... look what I found here at church, secretary didn't even know they were here, there are many more boxes, they are old and will work perfectly.

straws.jpg

Now I don't have to rob McDonalds. haha (subliminal photo of 19PENNYSAVER71 there too)

Double Nickle said:
YOU CAN! come down for the show. NC isnt that far!

Driving directions to 3267 New MacLand Rd, Powder Springs, GA 30127
Suggested routes
1. 8 hours 33 minsI-85 S - 484 mi
2. 8 hours 39 minsI-95 S and I-20 W - 525 mi
3. 8 hours 56 minsI-95 S - 548 mi

:shock:

Isn't that far... :roll:

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:
If I were you I would take I-85...fastest route :wink:

haha, ok, see you there!
:wink: See if you can get a ride from our member rockit! he might be coming!

OK, here you have it, 72 split straws ready to go on my spokes, probably took me 8 minutes to get them done, plus I have a few leftover straws... ok, more than a few.

straws2.jpg

(plus a sublimimal photo to tell rudolf to get back to work!)

Day 45

I was just halfway through this update and hit the "back" button my browser... :x

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. As usual, got a late start tonight, heading into the shop around 10:30pm. Texted Cody, but I think the wrench fest the night before combined with a long hard day of work wore him out, so I would be working alone tonight. I turned on public television and got to work with the A/C on and the fan running.

First order of business was to finally bring the frame back upstairs onto the stand:
IMG_4311.jpg

I then thought about some assembly I could do that I wouldn't have to undo later and decided to start with the fork. Before throwing it on I would thoroughly grease the bearings:
IMG_4312.jpg

That is a large coffee can full of white lithium grease. My brother-in-law offered me a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of the grease years ago, and not seeing a use for that much I just filled a coffee can, now I wish I had kept the whole thing. Oh well. I also dabbed some into the cups:
IMG_4313.jpg

Next I slid in the fork and quickly realized that if you are going to install a triple tree fork off the ground you better have all your parts where you can reach them... I didn't. I used this shop rag to tie the fork up so it wouldn't fall on the floor while I grabbed the stuff I needed:
IMG_4314.jpg

Next I slid on the 3rd triple tree mount, now a light bracket, then the top mount and tightened down all the clamping allen screws:
IMG_4315.jpg

Then I moved to the back and for the first time ever installed the homemade layback seatpost and refurbished saddle.
IMG_4316.jpg

(Yes, that is an old GT bmx seat clamp.)

It was time to install the crank, but one look at the black sticky bearings and cups (not removed since installed in 1976) and I knew I had some cleaning to do. I went downstairs and found some Wynn's cleaner of some sort for internal engine cleaning. I dumped some in a bowl and dropped in my parts. Man, this stuff was potent! Known to cause cancer in the state of California... luckily I've never even been to California so I should be safe, so I scrubbed away and man did they clean up nice!
IMG_4317.jpg

After installing the crank, little skiptooth, and pedals, I dropped in the stems with a piece of leftover fork leg material:
IMG_4318.jpg

View from top:
IMG_4319.jpg

Still not sure about bars until the bike is on it's wheels and I can guage the flow of the bike, I tapes something on for ideas:
IMG_4320.jpg

Satisfied with the assembly for the night, I went back to the wheels. Using the straws I split earlier in the day I started sliding them on the spokes:
IMG_4321.jpg

Once the straws were on the spokes I pushed the over the nipples and taped them close to the hub so they wouldn't slide out of place:
IMG_4322.jpg

Then I took them downstairs for a coating of self etching primer:
IMG_4324.jpg

(Ahhh! Flying Saucer Attack!)

This self etching primer, besides the paint stipper, had the strongest fumes of any of the other paint so far, but it made a nice primer coat and it doesn't hurt at all that it has a green tint to it. :wink:
IMG_4325.jpg

If I wasn't married to the build name already I'd have to call this thing "The Late Night Bike." It was just after 12:30 and the paint fumes were heavy in the air, so I took a little rest on my comfy sack:
IMG_4323.jpg

Wait... if I'm sleeping there... then how am I typing here? :shock:

Must be some good paint fumes.

Did you know that many spills occur during the transportation of hazardous materials and one study found that 18,000 hazardous materials spills occurred during 1976! Maybe this accounts for my ADHD, the tumors in my legs, and my scoliosis... not to mention the uneven cantilever bars and other parts on my 76er.

Double Nickle said:
Thanks for the motivation. Wish I could be in your race.

YOU CAN! come down for the show. NC isnt that far!

Haha he is literally the farthest away from Georgia you can be and still be in the state of NC. "If there is a bright side to the galaxy he is on the planet that is farthest from"

1. Holy cow you got some work done!
2. Your beanbag is awesome. My dream is to have a room filled with giant beanbags like that.

Rockit! said:
1. Holy cow you got some work done!

Rare, but it happens.

Rockit! said:
2. Your beanbag is awesome. My dream is to have a room filled with giant beanbags like that.

Thanks, I saw a couple in a church youth room and told my sister about them, she bought 2 Comfy Sacks for her basement (I think they were around $450 each) and then later another one. The basement is finished and they spend most of their time down there, but the stairs are too narrow for regular furniture. Eventually she found a couch that fit down there and she gave me this comfy sack. Man, it is so comfy, it's filled with shredded memory foam instead of the styrofoam like others.

Last edited by a moderator:

yoothgeye said:
OK, here you have it, 72 split straws ready to go on my spokes, probably took me 8 minutes to get them done, plus I have a few leftover straws... ok, more than a few.

straws2.jpg

(plus a sublimimal photo to tell rudolf to get back to work!)

Dunno why, but I like this pic...

Okay, You've seemed to have turned me over to use the straw thing. I know people are swearing by it, but I've remained very skeptical about it:

- 2x36 straws is not something I have at my disposal right away.
- How'd you know they'll fit?
- It seems like a lot of work to split them
- ...and you'd still have to tape em so the don't move

But now I'm looking at those pics, I'll just have to try it myself!

Good to see so much progress on your build. I hate it that I can't seem to find the time to work on mine...
:|

Re: *The 76er* (some assembly and wheel paint update: 6/15)

COMING ALONG NICELY. LOVING THOSE TIRES. THAT LIGHT EVEN LOOKS GOOD. KEEP IT UP! PEACE

herr_rudolf said:
- How'd you know they'll fit?
- It seems like a lot of work to split them
- ...and you'd still have to tape em so the don't move

But now I'm looking at those pics, I'll just have to try it myself!

I wasn't sure if they'd fit, but most straws, when you cut them, they curl in a little bit and get smaller, these fit well over the spoke nipples. Most straws they sell in the stores are smaller, the ones in restaurants are bigger. It wasn't hard at all to split them, I just stick sharp scissors in the end and slide them up, takes less than a second each. The taping is easier to me than taping each spoke, just 8 pieces per side, and it doesn't have to be perfect, just has to hold them in place.

Don't be convinced though until I put on final paint and remove the straws, it might look horrible! haha It's just the easy way for me.

OK, you may have converted me to try the straw trick too...... :roll:

As for the rest of the build, man, it's looking great! Your front end concept is 'part' of an idea I've been kicking around with DonOne and Double Nickle for about 4 months now (I work slowly :mrgreen: ). Can't wait to see what you do for bars.

Have you figured out how to 'plug' the top nut on the steer tube yet?
I stumbled onto a possible solution while 'experimenting in the lab'. My triple tree came with push in caps for the tops of the fork legs. The cap also conveniently fits in the steer tube, I pushed it in and threaded the nut down on top of it.
I'm thinking a bar end plug from a road or BMX bike, would work as well. If so, you could choose your button color, perhaps a red 'FIRE' button! :lol: :lol:

Keep up the inspiring work!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
As for the rest of the build, man, it's looking great! Your front end concept is 'part' of an idea I've been kicking around with DonOne and Double Nickle for about 4 months now (I work slowly :mrgreen: ). Can't wait to see what you do for bars.
Dr. T

Longer than that!

@Yoothgeye...
And is that a luv sack?

I think it's what you sit on when you're there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DN, you're right, it's been kicking around since the Auction Rat build sessions. :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Rockit! said:
A luv sack? Is that like a love shack? :lol:
look up luv sack on google. Its a type of bean bag that sits super good. Be careful when you look it up. You might stumble across some bad sites... :roll:

Back