*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (making a rack, update: 5/27)

Double Nickle said:
I need the GT stem, bars, grips, and pad! Sell?

BTW everything looks great.

LMK :wink:

You really picked a mutt! haha The GT stem may be up for grabs, the bars are off a Kawasaki dirtbike and are going on my motored bike, I found the grips in my dads random collection of bike parts, and the pad is a piece of pipe insulation with a bandana that my mother-in-law sewed up for me with some velcro.

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:
I need the GT stem, bars, grips, and pad! Sell?

BTW everything looks great.

LMK :wink:

You really picked a mutt! haha The GT stem may be up for grabs, the bars are off a Kawasaki dirtbike and are going on my motored bike, I found the grips in my dads random collection of bike parts, and the pad is a piece of pipe insulation with a bandana that my mother-in-law sewed up for me with some velcro.
stem and grips? :wink:

yoothgeye said:
Days 27-31
Not really being motivated to open a window and plug something in, I dug around in one more box and I found this:
IMG_4262.jpg

Well... Mayde it's not the 'clearance price' issue. Looking at the print on the label it seems to me that this paint is just hobby-quality... I hope that problem gets solved soon. THere is nothing worse than covering hours of hard detail work with a (non-intentional) crummy paintjob.

Good luck!

herr_rudolf said:
Well... Mayde it's not the 'clearance price' issue. Looking at the print on the label it seems to me that this paint is just hobby-quality... I hope that problem gets solved soon. THere is nothing worse than covering hours of hard detail work with a (non-intentional) crummy paintjob.

I'm not too concerned with the finsh, it would've been nice had it gone on smooth, but I was already going to be sanding it, and there will be a clear layer over everything anyway.

Re: *The 76er* (air conditioning and PAINT, update: 6/1)

Ah yes, but I also read it's a semi-transparent so it could give problems it not being consistenly opaque overall...

Either way, I'm wishing you all the luck you need.
:wink:

Seeing all you guys busy building I wish I had the time to continue mine...
:|

herr_rudolf said:
Ah yes, but I also read it's a semi-transparent so it could give problems it not being consistenly opaque overall...

Yeah, but if it's too badly messed up, I can go again with something not transparent. I'm not really concerned.

herr_rudolf said:
Either way, I'm wishing you all the luck you need.
:wink:

Seeing all you guys busy building I wish I had the time to continue mine...
:|

Thanks for the luck. You'll have more time to work, I just know I gotta work because I'll be losing time in July going on a mission trip.

Double Nickle said:
stem and grips? :wink:

Don't say I never did anything for you. :wink:

I'm even using my 1,000th post on you. :mrgreen:

bighit said:
It should say woodgrain brown.

Yeah, it sprayed out in dots, not a mist. Once the first of it splatted on I just kept going since I'm going to sanding it anyway. I will try it on other things to see what kind of effects I can get.

Too humid to paint I see :wink: Can't wait to see it done up with the paint :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Too humid to paint I see :wink: Can't wait to see it done up with the paint :mrgreen:

That's what I first thought, then I noticed the thick spray pattern. Last time I had a can of Krylon do this I called the number on the can just to inform them of the problem. They asked me for the batch and serial numbers from the can and sent me a $5 coupon even though I only paid $2 for the can. Great customer service. If I can't get this can to do any better I might call, or might just not worry about it.

Day 32

I didn't think I was going to do any work tonight, but after putting the starter back on my wife's Kia Sedona minivan I was already dirty, so I thought, what the heck. Oh, and the Chevy 454 starter solenoid we adapted onto the Kia starter at the starter/alternator shop works just fine. Now the van is a hybrid.

Anyway, when I was done yesterday my paint was yucky, but I didn't seem to care. Here's what it looked like after I removed the tape:
IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

I wasn't really going for flames, just bent scallops, but anyway. I didn't really care about the crappy paint because the next step involved sandpaper and would reveal the 2 undercoats I layed on earlier (flat black over red oxide over bare metal).

So I started sanding, and it was fun. The more black and red and metal I uncovered the more I wanted to sand.
IMG_4275.jpg

I might do some more.
IMG_4276.jpg

After I get it to where I like the balance I will clear coat it and dull the clear.
IMG_4277.jpg

And that's how you do a fauxtina paint job.
IMG_4278.jpg

Now I'm going to bed.

Look to your left, wait, maybe your right, chances are you are looking at an ink jet printer. The ink jet printer was invented in the USA in 1976. I'm pretty sure in 1977 they learned that you could sell an ink jet printer to someone for cheaper than you can buy new ink for it and therefore make mucho dinero (lots of money)! Go ahead, celebrate the ink jet printer by printing off one of my build photos and putting it up on your wall!

Re: *The 76er* (Not patina... fauxtina, update: 6/2)

I think it looks killer, sometimes it's those unintentional things that inspire greatness!! 8)

Oneuglybike said:
I think it looks killer, sometimes it's those unintentional things that inspire greatness!! 8)

herr_rudolf said:
Haha cool!

Thanks guys. I guess I gotta start working on the wheels now. I like my wheels, but I prefer alloy... easier to paint.

I really like fauxtina paint schemes. I've done a few, but you got it down perfect. COLORS are a great match.

KOTA said:
I really like fauxtina paint schemes. I've done a few, but you got it down perfect. COLORS are a great match.

Thanks.

Wonder how the wheel color will play in? It's in here:
IMG_4163.jpg

those emblems are neat and are messing with my head. galaxy maybe or starliner ford. i dig the paint too

Too cool 8)

karfer67 said:
those emblems are neat and are messing with my head. galaxy maybe or starliner ford. i dig the paint too

I got them off a rusty body I found in some woods along with an old 20" Murray canti frame, I left that there, too far gone. Anyway, I didn't remember what kind of car it was, so after a little searching it was a 1955-57 Pontiac Star Chief.

Looky:

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1955st ... 041604.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

I used this stuff on the King-Ray(RRBO4), and had no problems with it at all. But it fades a lot, and I think it keeps looking better. Just set it in the sun, it'll liten up. Fauxtina looks good.

Back