T-34 Mentor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've thought about doing a bike in honor of the Navy trainer made by Beechcraft. It's been in use for years and still is the trainer used by Navy pilots before they fly jets. I was stationed at Whiting Field in Milton Florida back in the late 80's where many of these are being flown today.

I'm going to use the walmart 32 inch bike I just picked up. It already has the orange, I just need to do the black (it has black fenders and wheels already too) and white trim, add some insignia somehow, and a couple of exhaust stacks, and that may do the trick. Easy. I should be spending more time on my annual build off bike, but I'm not motivated for it right now.

2hdmyc3.jpg

2r5f5ab.jpg

The T-34 is a great little plane. I flew them before going to the helicopter pipeline and on to the CH-46. Good times.

Cool idea! I flew them in flight school before flying P-3C's and went back as a T-34C instructor before getting out of the Navy. Loved the T-34C's!

If any of you were there 88-91, you may have been briefed on the weather by me. Fridays were always a madhouse with a hundred pilots at the counter waiting for a cross country brief.

I was winged in 1986 so I missed ya. I look forward to seeing you get the T-34 bike out of the chocks.

Pulled all the stickers to start. The handlebars are larger in diameter than normal. The bell wouldn't fit, that's why it's on the frame:

sqo174.jpg

You used a hair dryer to remove the stickers without scratching the paint?
You must put one of those blade antennas (vhf?) on the rear fender.

Cool idea, I love planes myself, havent gone beyond RC though.

As for the bike, I didnt even know 32" existed yet. I know a guy on MTBR has been pushing for this wheel size for a while.
I did a search about this bike after finding this thread, and found another MTBR thread about this very bike, promptly closed that window and returned here.
Anyway thats awesome, how does it ride? How heavy is it?

Nope, fingernail got the decals started then they peeled off easily. Headbadge was the same way. Then a quick ride out in the hundred degree heat.

As for the ride, the bigness of it is great, and the angles are good, it rides comfortably. The tread pattern isn't the best for rolling resistance, and they say 30psi, but I went with 35psi to get a better roll. It's an aluminum frame, and is fairly lightweight for it's size. The bathroom scale said 40lbs. The gear ratio is just right for that size bike. The seat and grips are pretty good too. I don't care for the bright orange, but I'm taking care of that with this build.

My standover height is 34 inches and I barely clear the bar. It's a safety issue, and I don't know if that frame (aluminum) could handle the change.

Got some vinyl decals ordered up.

Navy 69-73.I was on the Lexington 72-73 in Pensacola.Worked cats. I saw many a T-34 land and take off from the flightdeck without the help of the cat.They were the first to fly on the way out to the Gulf.Amazing old bird.

Tore the bike apart and added the first coat of white. The nozzle kept clogging up, so I'll finish it tomorrow. The can of spray paint was a few years old.

33oqm4j.jpg

Thanks, I put it on CL, with the idea to get another one, only in blue, and make it an F4U Corsair.

2s7unh5.jpg

I can't seem to find any more of them for sale, so this one will stay in my collection.

Back