Store bought cruiser, what's best?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you were buying a new cruiser, which would you get? Thinking of buying a new bike, not sure what to get. Any help on this is appreciated, Dave.

If you want the cheapest, and you are talking about like walmart or atrget, Huffy Cranbooks are oftern sold for less than 100$

They are easy to cutomize, cheap, and good riders if you take some time to regrease and give the bike another inspection after purchase.

Both the Electra and the 3G are nice bikes. I've ridden them both, both utilize 'foot forward' geometry for a relaxed riding position. I found the 3G used better quality components and was better suited for an adult sized person.

Just my .02

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's your budget? If you want cheap, get a Cranbrook, wait 3 months, then buy something vintage anyway b/c you know, deep down, you really want to.

If you want expensive, buy one of the, um, "accessible" yuppie cruisers like a Felt or an Electra or some sort of Trek, which I guess accurately describes Electras now. Wait 3 months to admit that you made a mistake, then wait another month to save & afford the vintage bike you wish you'd bought.

If you want the best (and worst) of all 3 worlds (cheap new, moderately expensive new, vintage), buy a Worksman** and customize it.

If money is no object, buy a GBP frame. Just don't make the same mistake I did: make sure you got a fat knot to buy all the nice components you'll need before you pull the trigger. Just need wheels now....:crazy:

(**Full disclosure: I own something like 6 Worksman frames/completes/projects.... it's a sickness.)

I have a few electras and love them. The frame is a little longer than a lot of other cruisers so they feel right for an adult. 3G seem like a good choice. I just don't like the frame design. The cranbrooks and Wallyworld schwinns feel like they are sized for little kids.

What's your budget? If you want cheap, get a Cranbrook, wait 3 months, then buy something vintage anyway b/c you know, deep down, you really want to.

If you want expensive, buy one of the, um, "accessible" yuppie cruisers like a Felt or an Electra ... Wait 3 months to admit that you made a mistake, then wait another month to save & afford the vintage bike you wish you'd bought....

I'm laughing to myself... :D I have been biting my tongue since this thread started because he did say new... :angelic:

Last edited:
I have an Electra Cruiser single and it rides like a dream. It's not my daily beater, just for pleasure cruising occasionally, but it's built like a tank and will last for years no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Electra Cruiser single and it rides like a dream. It's not my daily beater, just for pleasure cruising occasionally, but it's built like a tank and will last for years no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Electra Deluxe is a pretty nice cruiser, but it's no tank. I found that out when I tried to bunny hop a curb and missed my landing by a bit. I've done that kind of thing dozens of times with my mountain bike with no problems, but on the Electra it bent the rim up good. Good thing it's got a coaster brake because I'm sure a rim brake would pulsate now with every revolution.

For me the 3G, Electra, and many of the electric bikes utilize the pedal forward idea. Chances of bunny hopping are long gone!
Not sure if I'd go ruff or a worksman, but one of them!

Back