Store bought cruiser, what's best?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the 3G, Electra, and many of the electric bikes utilize the pedal forward idea....

MB brings up a good point. If you ever plan to ride more than 2 miles, don't fall for the pedal forward hype. There is a reason this "idea" has not caught on for the first 130 years or so of bicycle design. :)

MB brings up a good point. If you ever plan to ride more than 2 miles, don't fall for the pedal forward hype. There is a reason this "idea" has not caught on for the first 130 years or so of bicycle design. :)

Fill me in on this please. The only pedal forward bikes I've had have been full recumbents. Bents can be fast and great long distance machines, but they lack the versatility of an upright.

It appears that most of the pedal forward bikes still retain the ability for the rider to stand up and mash or use their legs to absorb bumps.

I bunny hop worksman bikes every day.

Well, I managed to land the rear wheel smack dab on the corner of the curb while traveling at 8-10 mph. It just didn't hop quite as readily as my full suspension MB and I'm pretty sure it's got single wall rims.

Worksmens are also standard pedal and not forward pedal. My Diamondback Drifter 1 is kinda pedal forward, standing up on it reminds me of the unstable feeling of stand up pedal on a female LaJolla.

Depending on where you live, some small independent shops may carry less well known, but still good quality brands of modern alloy retro style bikes. Definitely worth checking out.

So what is the difference in riding a pedal foward frame, and a standard frame with the seat laid back over the tire?

So what is the difference in riding a pedal foward frame, and a standard frame with the seat laid back over the tire?

Nothing, they are both sub-optimal for transfer of power resulting in acceleration, climbing, speed, or endurance. A person can tolerate just about anything for putting around at low speeds or short distances, hence "cruisers", toys, and objects of creative expression need not be well designed to be amusing. :)

Nothing, they are both sub-optimal for transfer of power resulting in acceleration, climbing, speed, or endurance. A person can tolerate just about anything for putting around at low speeds or short distances, hence "cruisers", toys, and objects of creative expression need not be well designed to be amusing. :)

Well said; I thoroughly agree.

True recumbents, on the other hand, offer a lot of benefits for everything but climbing. The aerodynamics are awesome; guy around me has a fairing on his and he flies on it, even though I think he's like 60 years old.

Well said; I thoroughly agree.

True recumbents, on the other hand, offer a lot of benefits for everything but climbing. The aerodynamics are awesome; guy around me has a fairing on his and he flies on it, even though I think he's like 60 years old.

Everything but climbing and obstacles. Going up a curb on a recumbent is not fun, especially if it's a high curb and the wheels are 20" or smaller. For moderate slopes and rolling hills they are just as fast and maybe faster than an upright, but on a grade steeper than 10% the upright cyclist has a huge advantage.

I've never ridden a crank forward bike, so I don't know, but it seems to me that the Townies and other crank forward bikes/semi-recumbent bikes could be reasonably efficient. They do allow for a full leg extension, but they don't have the aero advantages of a recumbent or a backrest to push against.

Latest posts

Back