BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After mounting it and sitting back and looking at it, I just wasn't feeling this Dana for this frame. The mass just didn't look right to me. It is just so bulky. Plus I don't think I like the idea of the pedals being 2" farther out on the right than normal.

View attachment 125293View attachment 125294View attachment 125295View attachment 125296View attachment 125297View attachment 125298View attachment 125299

It's cool, but clunky. More utilitarian than I think this build deserves

I agree with you about the Dana. Such a cool piece of engineering. But might just be too big and clunky for your Twin Bar.

I do like how this looks
7D2B8B94-CBB6-4FF0-8027-0D7616C9CBEA.jpeg

keep up the great work

There's so much room on that frame, it needs a big ol' exerciser sprocket. The older one with the big holes. Can you bump the cog up a couple teeth on the rear hub? You'll want it bigger if you go with the huge front sprocket.

GC.

As GC says there is so much room on that frame. I think the Dana looked good there.
But I didn't like the offset cranks - the left closer and the right further from the frame.
Funny enough on my electric bike because of the mid-motor I had the same problem, only with less offset. I used another crank arm with more q-factor to compensate.

I agree with you about the Dana. Such a cool piece of engineering. But might just be too big and clunky for your Twin Bar.

I do like how this looks
View attachment 125305
keep up the great work

That is going to be a fun part to try and work into the build.

There's so much room on that frame, it needs a big ol' exerciser sprocket. The older one with the big holes. Can you bump the cog up a couple teeth on the rear hub? You'll want it bigger if you go with the huge front sprocket.

GC.

I'll give the exerciser sprocket some thought, but more often than not, they always look like more of an out of scale novelty than anything else to me. They rock on certain builds, but I'm not sure if this is the right build for one. I think I might have actually sold the one that I used to have.

I don't think the Dana belongs there either, but I appreciate the step by step pictorial. Now I know

I always try to document my mockups, but especially with this unusual item. Even though I'm not going to use it for this build, it is good reference for me or others in the future.

As GC says there is so much room on that frame. I think the Dana looked good there.
But I didn't like the offset cranks - the left closer and the right further from the frame.
Funny enough on my electric bike because of the mid-motor I had the same problem, only with less offset. I used another crank arm with more q-factor to compensate.

The visual aspect with this frame is the main reason I decided to skip it for this build, but that uneven pedal offset helped me make that decision. I am sure that I probably would have gotten used to it.

I like the open look without the Dana. The missing seat tube is the best feature and the transmission just hides that.

Yeah, I think on normal frames with seattubes, the Dana doesn't look so bulky.

I looked through my chainrings for something that might work well with the 4 spoke wheels, First test was this 3G/PHAT one. Possible, but I wasn't quite feeling it.

20200613_110232.jpg

Found this ring with four swirls and found a modern semi-dogleg that I pulled from a Taiwan Schwinn SS Sport years ago. I'll keep this one for now.

20200613_115948.jpg

Then it was chainguard testing time. It's fun to have a cool mix of goodies.

20200613_121114.jpg

The zeppelin guard (bottom) didn't look right and neither did the Huffy (2nd to last) so I didn't bother taping them up.

The fat Columbia might just be too big, but I did test it.

20200613_121028.jpg

But the one that I like the most is the 2nd from the top. I can't remember if this is Shelby or what, but I really like how well it plays with the rack and seems to flow in the space nicely. I don't think I will fabricate the mounts yet, but I do really like this one.

20200613_120244.jpg
20200613_120250.jpg
20200613_120259.jpg
20200613_120552.jpg

The other thing I worked on yesterday was taking the rear wheel off and laying it across some 4x4s then strategically laying a piece of 4x6 on the rim and whacking it with a sledge to persuade the rim into a truer state. I forgot to take any pics, but the process seemed to work well enough so that I no longer have any rub spots on the frame.

Once I did this and checked the chainline again and realize that I think I need an offset rear cog on the back. I am going to try to take care of that today.

The visual aspect with this frame is the main reason I decided to skip it for this build, but that uneven pedal offset helped me make that decision. I am sure that I probably would have gotten used to it.
I never felt that offset while riding, probably because it was electric, or probably because of the small offset. I have a keen eye for symmetry and I saw it at one point, the left pedal was passing the left chain stays at around 5 mm distance and the right at 15 mm distance. And just knowing that it was like this almost drove me mad. Once seen it couldn't be unseen.
The four spokes/swirls chainring is a must with those 4 spoke wheels!
About the chainguards - first of all, thanks to you, guys, I immediately recognized that fat chainguard as a Columbia. This is also my favorite from the few.
This said, I think on this frame anything that disturbs the lines and the silouette would be a disadvantage. I mean that's that frame's gimmick, right? that it is an empty frame and everything is on the periphery? I would leave such a pretty drivetrain exposed for everyone to see.

EDIT Sorry, I meant I NEVER felt that offset, but just knowing it was there drove me nuts...

Last edited:
Your 'fishing' expedition on the cranks / chain guards turned in a nice catch. I like the 'swirl' chain ring, and also your choice of chain guard. I believe that is a Shelby, looks a lot like the Shelby Airflow guard I picked up for my future Shelby build.

FiSh oN~!

Currently on test ride number 1

20200614_191720.jpg

Back