SPIKE NUTS need imput please **UPDATE**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am thinking of doing a run of "spike Nuts" and just wanted to get some feed back about what you would pay for something like this? Also what finish you would prefer? That is if you would even be interested? Thier pretty simple but not too cheap to make as they would be made in a small batch here in Canada. I have about 4 or 5 different styles designed. The picture is to give you a rough idea. Heres the specs:
-Machined Cromoly steel
-16mm Hex
-Available in Chrome plate, Black Powder coat or unfinished
-3/8-24 and 3/8-26 size thread
-Short-1" length or Long-2" length
spikenut.jpg

Re: SPIKE NUTS need imput please

Spikes are a little too "coon tail" for my taste. They remind me of brand new leather jackets and tribal tattoos.

"I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock 'n' roll."

I have some custom made chrome pike nuts (those in your picture are 'pike' as opposed to a solid spike) on my Dyno (fenders and seat) and they look sick! They're one of the first things people comment on. I bought them for around $4.00 a pair from a guy off of Ebay.
I think they're more 'Harley' than 'coon tail,' and I haven't seen them on another bike anywhere. I really like the look as long as it isn't overdone.

Dyno-1.jpg

I like them but since I'm not a machinist, I would try to diversify with other shapes that is more conducive to rat nostalgia (if that makes any sense) ... I think you would get more bang for the buck if the shape was more like a miniature beer or coke bottle/can or maybe a spray/rattle can...Bowling pin would be cool (something no one has) 8) ... Yeah I've seen spikes, dice, bullets, eyeballs, and billiard balls (and anything round), but in the end, will your spikes be priced competitively? ...and since I don't own a lathe, what do I know :roll:

Thanks for All your input. The drive behind this project is to get my feet wet. My goal is to start an aftermarket parts biz and eventually become self employed. I wanted to start with something small just to get a feel for it. I have many ideas and other products in mind. Without going overseas to have these made I couldn't sell them for less than about $12-$15 each. That would cover the costs and I'd be volunteering my time. That's a worthy sacrifice to start. I think.

Maybe bar-end plugs like that would be a better product. I'm pretty sure there's somebody making spike nut COVERS already for 3/8 nuts, and I've seen air cleaner nuts that look large enough to be carefully drilled out and tapped by the home builder (of course, one would want to use a heat-treated axle nut with the air cleaner nut right on top of it).

EDIT: Another place I could see that this type of spike would work would be at the top of the fork legs on triple-tree forks. The little plastic plugs most of them come with aren't the prettiest things ever. Along the same lines, a screw in spike for the top of threadless forks might work as well.

Spincycle, I don't know if your talking Canadian or American prices but a three inch spike can be bought all day long here in Michigan for around $8.00 at bike shops that carry lowrider/custom parts. Motorcycle and Auto shops will double that price.
Hot Topics, Spencer's Gifts and head shops around here carry various sizes and styles. The small spikes usually come in assortments of 10 to twenty depending on the size of the spikes. Ten dollars or less a pack is about right. Then there are all kinds of people selling them on the internet. I bought a pack of 100 1/4" spikes for around $15.00 a couple of years ago.
To be honest, I don't think that there would be much of an oppurtunity (especially here in the states) for this type of product. There's just too much of it out there already.

I've got a couple of ideas for you if you'd like P.M. me and we'll talk.

Re: SPIKE NUTS need input please

I has some on y fenders, I was one short so I took them all off. I bought 24 of them about two years ago from some online leather jacket/motorcycle shop, they looked just like the ones on the red bike- If I remember right I paid $30 shipped.

I just want to be clear about the spike nuts I'm talking about making. They will replace your standard flange axle nut. It is solid steel and will hold your wheels on. It's not a nut "cover" it's an actual nut with a hex for your wrench and a spike on it. It would definately be too heavy to attach to leather. It's hard to describe but the ones I'd be making are way cooler looking than the picture I posted.

Chainsaw, do you have any more info or links about the $8.00 jobbies you speak of? I don't want to make something that already exists.

Spincycle said:
I just want to be clear about the spike nuts I'm talking about making. They will replace your standard flange axle nut. It is solid steel and will hold your wheels on. It's not a nut "cover" it's an actual nut with a hex for your wrench and a spike on it. It would definately be too heavy to attach to leather. It's hard to describe but the ones I'd be making are way cooler looking than the picture I posted.

Chainsaw, do you have any more info or links about the $8.00 jobbies you speak of? I don't want to make something that already exists.

Close enough... looks like there'd be room to drill out, tap for 3/8 24 or 26 TPI, and you get 10 for under $20. By butting these up against a steel jam nut, I think they'd be useable.

hondataeg6 said:
good idea, but you might need a different item to make... these are available already for dirt cheap.... http://stores.ebay.com/Spikes-And-Leath ... 34.c0.m322

Um, so which of those are you claiming fits bicycle axles?
I think properly threaded for the purpose and ready made would sell pretty well, but it would take a gigantic investment to make more than chump change. Farming it out to an existing fastener maker would be the most logical and effective method.

Gowjobs your right about Studs & Spikes giant spike. I scaled it on screen and theroretically you would have room to drill it out and tap it to 3/8". Looks like in order to make mine desirable I would have to make it so asthetically pleasing that it would be worth the extra bucks. This has been a good debate. Thanks everyone for your imput. I think I may make a few and see what you guys think of my design.

GameBent said:
"I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock 'n' roll."

I have some custom made chrome pike nuts (those in your picture are 'pike' as opposed to a solid spike) on my Dyno (fenders and seat) and they look sick! They're one of the first things people comment on. I bought them for around $4.00 a pair from a guy off of Ebay.
I think they're more 'Harley' than 'coon tail,' and I haven't seen them on another bike anywhere. I really like the look as long as it isn't overdone.

Dyno-1.jpg
Hey, ya got a link for those? I need some for mine. :D
btw, that Ultra Glide is sick...too bad they're getting harder to find.

How much per set? Also are they chrome plated steel? billet? or just like the plastic chrome Chinese ones?.........lol. I got a set of china ones and they really look cheap.

Back