Show us them cars!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peatbog said:
Wagons are about the most useful car made. I have a Taurus wagon that I bought new in 1999. I have, however, spent quite a bit on repairs and it only has 125,000 miles on it. It too has a fold up way-back rear seat, but because both the second row seats and the front seat are bench seats, I can get eight people in it. Except for the front suspension repairs of all kinds, bearings, power steering pump and other steering problems, strange and unusual brake problems, air conditional problems, rebuilding the transmission, rust, front springs breaking for no reason, brake lines rotting out, and some other stuff, I have had no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. However, the muffler lasted twelve years so that is worth something. Maybe I'll look for a Toyota next time.

If you do make sure you make sure the floor mat recall has been done.

Nice Shelby kensmurry! I'm jelous that's one of my dream cars. I bet it's a blast to drive.

blackdiamond said:
LukeTheJoker said:
Speaking of reliable, economical and cold air conditioning, this is what im driving until I get a rat rod on the road...

what kind of car is this? :D

2002 Daihatsu Cuore. 1 liter/3cyl motor, 5 speed, air... weighs in at 720kg (1580lbs) gets 20 kms to the litre on fuel (47mpg) and seeing as Toyota has a controlling share in Daihatsu, reliable as a camry wagon!!! :lol:

I feel sorry for kensmurray getting his beautiful mustang trapped in with these boring cars... Very nice and rare car!

Luke.

I admit I'm a vw freak so here's my current one....
20121021_154105.jpg

Hey All, When I'm not working on bikes I am working on my VW's

This is my #1 had her now for over 20yrs and she still puts a smile on my face ever time I take her out for a cruise, my 66 DuneBuggy!
650f4d635256ccd4bab6affda18a2b86.jpg

This is my Thing and my Daughters Super Beetle.
f447dbfbb9569551f9bf97a838cd2ed0.jpg

5210d59c5f150260f05b9eaceb415ec1.jpg

I rescued this one from a local junkyard and then we Restored her also, 61 Dunebuggy!
d40314815519af66a8475ba92554d322.jpg

2b981d01e6228a75c4010f85b7a54aa1.jpg

And my latest build is this Meyers Manx!
5dfbf961092e6ea4ae3aae2ac906e83a.jpg

blackdiamond said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: wow i love authentic MM's!

I met Bruce Meyers at Mid America Motorworks funfest and it was awesome :D

I have met him also, been at Mid America both times he was there. The first time he came to MA they contacted me and asked if I would be willing to display my Manx and the red buggy in Mikes Museum to celebrate him being there. During his visit he and his wife came and saw my car, talked to me, my wife and kids and signed the car. Later that weekend his Wife Winnie picked my Red Buggy as her favorite pick of the show. It was very,very cool. Bruce and Winnie are great people.

It's curious, learning about this drive for VW's.
Here in Portugal, although not pouring from the sky, they are relatively easy to find: dune buggys (I know someone who has one roting in the garage and no one seems to care), beetles, wagons and so forth. Personaly I find them "cute", but definitely not the cars I want.
I'd be extremely happy with a 1940's thru 1960's Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet pickup 4x2 truck, but I'd suit for one of those rusty mid 80's examples.
Ya only want what ya can't get..
Keep it up.

I once had a '67 Baja Bug, with a worked 1600cc subaru motor in the back and 30x8 inch rear tires... Loads of fun, teaches you all about understeer/lift off oversteer, great way to learn how to drive without killing yourself...

Sorry, no pics of it...

Luke.

With VW it's kinda a cult following, most VW owners got one when they were younger because they are cheap and got hooked. I got a '62 bug on a trade for a shotgun and a pit bull puppy and I loved that car. Simple to work on, fun to drive, excellent in snow, easy to find parts for, and had a classic look to it. What more could you ask for in a car?

outskirtscustoms said:
Simple to work on, fun to drive, excellent in snow, easy to find parts for, and had a classic look to it. What more could you ask for in a car?

Handling, decent heater, defroster, air conditioning, horsepower....

All that being said, I have owned several VWs in my day.

milbums said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Simple to work on, fun to drive, excellent in snow, easy to find parts for, and had a classic look to it. What more could you ask for in a car?

Handling, decent heater, defroster, air conditioning, horsepower....

Ok you got me there.

Peatbog said:
Wagons are about the most useful car made. I have a Taurus wagon that I bought new in 1999. I have, however, spent quite a bit on repairs and it only has 125,000 miles on it. It too has a fold up way-back rear seat, but because both the second row seats and the front seat are bench seats, I can get eight people in it. Except for the front suspension repairs of all kinds, bearings, power steering pump and other steering problems, strange and unusual brake problems, air conditional problems, rebuilding the transmission, rust, front springs breaking for no reason, brake lines rotting out, and some other stuff, I have had no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. However, the muffler lasted twelve years so that is worth something. Maybe I'll look for a Toyota next time.

My mom had one of those for a little while, dumped it after the third cv joint repair. :roll: You forgot to mention the lovely always-in-your-view windshield pillar. :p

My beater truck, 89 Ranger, it is parked most of the time as I have a company truck for my commute.
D75AA134-5ABF-4654-90E4-B0C71AE700FD-4472-000007F6044C3553.jpg

Wife's 91 4-Runner, good to take the dog.
ACC0A6E5-D8AF-4559-961D-21AB239D5895-4472-000007F5851A9CA4.jpg

My German car, (weekend car) great for going over the hill to the beach, company truck behind it.
12B6109C-5C4B-4A30-BDF9-C1D785B6A205-4472-000007F607F6EBB3.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
With VW it's kinda a cult following, most VW owners got one when they were younger because they are cheap and got hooked. I got a '62 bug on a trade for a shotgun and a pit bull puppy and I loved that car. Simple to work on, fun to drive, excellent in snow, easy to find parts for, and had a classic look to it. What more could you ask for in a car?
I got my first bug for $600, with a built 1686. I traded a base guitar for my first bus, a 71. I loved them both but the bus proved more useful. Later I got a 73 camperbus, then a 67 beetle.

I dont know when the last time i posted here was but these are the latest progects. 62 beetle and 72 914 bough on the same day last october. bettle got low and wide. the 914 is aproaching the finish almost ready to roll. should be dont by the spring no problem
bb003.jpg

kjkmk010.jpg

1414027.jpg

fgrd5y65020.jpg

efyeytyttttt016-1.jpg

porsche5005.jpg

Back