She-Rat....what does your wife ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish she had your enthusiasm for her bike! Actually, I ride it more than she does. It's very smooth.
Good luck finding the right bike for your wife.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for... She might start telling you how to do your builds! "honey, don't you think a flowery seat would look cute on that bike? Or a nice little bell?"

I have to stop and just stare at her.

She used to ride this. She hated it.
001-18.jpg

Now she rides this. She loves it.
Electra Townie 21D

006-14.jpg

Occasionally she rides this.
003-11.jpg

pick said:
KOTA: Man, I love the first one, I'd ride that in a hearbeat! :roll:

I thought the same thing Pick, I'd ride that all day long but that's what we would like. I made the same mistake. Gotta let them choose their own ride because that's the only way to get them interested.

DIABLO67 said:
...If you want to get your wife to ride, ask her what she wants and not what you think she wants. I know from experience. Take notes on what she thinks is cool and go from there. Mostly have fun together!

That sounds great in theory, but it didn't work for me. After trying (twice!) to set her up with hand-me-down random bikes, she insisted on going to the bike shop to buy a thing. I worked there at the time, but she insisted I SHUT UP while the owner sold her a low-end step-thru hybrid, which i paid for. She rode it like maybe 5 times. Later, she decided she wanted to ride trails with me, so she went to REI on her own ("you always try to make me get what YOU like!") and bought a pretty nice (albeit aluminum) thing. She rode that maybe like a dozen times, but mostly to the train station or the pub; maybe twice on trails. She sold it to a male coworker after 2 years or so.

After that, she put together a list of demands for the next build. It was, at times, difficult to figure out what she meant. I took my time, showed her stuff, and did everything she asked. Even got the thing powdercoated pink. In the end, she got a vintage Fuji mixte with a sprung brooks, drums front and rear with a 3speed. She rode it twice, insisted that I make the gearing higher, than rode it another 10 times, with vague complaints that the gearing is too high. I'm about to part it out; it'll be a few months before she notices and complains. :roll:

She DRIVES 1 mile to the GYM to sit on a stationary bike. :x

Everyone's got a different relationship, and no 2 wives are exactly the same, but if I could do it all over again?? I wouldn't even get involved at all. Leave her to her own devices.

My Wife says she really doesn't like girls bikes and she is ~5'1"
So all the frames I like, that don't fit me, I buy, and say "It will be perfect for you, Honey" :lol:
The latest I put together for her is an Eliminator
IMG_7754II_zpsf8ed52f7.jpg

Built the second Spaceliner for her and am now changing it up again for spring
IMG_4283II.jpg

This one is more her design (mid 60s Western Flyer) that I promised I would not try to change
She likes the ape hangers because it's more comfortable for the nerves in her hands
IMG_0917II.jpg

A few years ago we used to ride together in the winter, bought this Giant MTB and she liked it a lot
IMG_2786.jpg

Her all time favorite is this Hawthorne because it's so light and smooth rolling, She picked out the seat and grips
IMG_1998.jpg

There is more but I'll stop here :lol:
Good topic, Good luck!
Steve

DIABLO67 said:
pick said:
KOTA: Man, I love the first one, I'd ride that in a hearbeat! :roll:

I thought the same thing Pick, I'd ride that all day long but that's what we would like. I made the same mistake. Gotta let them choose their own ride because that's the only way to get them interested.
Thanks! I liked it. But it did have some "flex" to it. She didn't feel comfy. She's put hundreds of miles on the Townie. She's happy, that's all that counts.

dragnusa said:
MplsCoaster said:
Her all time favorite is this Hawthorne because it's so light and smooth rolling, She picked out the seat and grips
IMG_1998.jpg

Steve
I just passed on a three speed like that the guy wanted way to much for it

We ended up buying this for my Wife's Birthday a few years back(she picked it out and I paid $100)
Had fenders and SA 3speed with coaster. She wanted a RRB so we stripped it down and I went through the bearings
But is was kinda heavy yet and just klunky (in a bad way) and wasn't ridden much
After I put a set of aluminum rims and City Slicker tires, she liked it much better
Inspired her to find a nice seat and grips and enjoy it much more

Getting her involved with the choices, once I had it easy to ride, was the trick :D
Bought myself one (~$100) and it's waiting for some deep Vs with a coaster and a Grand Cru BB...

I broke down and bought my wife a Huffy men's cruiser (I have a long legged wife, so she isn't comfortable on a women's bike) from Walmart a few days ago. I had a hard time swallowing the Walmart bike pill, but, We can't afford anything expensive right now, plus im doubting she'll beat on te bike like I do on some of mine, plus I don't have time to build her a bike. She loves the bike, even suggested we go for a ride this afternoon, so it was absolutely money well spent. She has wanted to ride for the past few years I've been back into bikes, but she wanted nothing to do with my bmx and muscle bike stuff.
E690604C-F501-472A-AD50-3CA9A60CBB52-53805-00002718DEB875A8_zps661d49fc.jpg

We just finished this one for her. A Schwinn Jaguar. We added the fenders, bars and rack. Found an almost perfect paint match in Dupli-Color from the auto parts store for the rack and fenders. She loves this bike because of the 7 speed, fantastic stopping V brakes and the rack!

march2013003_zpsd80ae514.jpg

march2013004_zps03a949b7.jpg

march2013005_zps3d31dcc1.jpg

Back