> SE Hawthorne < --> New Name >> Grape Ape

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I gotta get in on the fun... middleweight contender? Not likely, but this middleweight will certainly get a second chance at life. I'm starting with this twin top bar Hawthorne middleweight cruiser I paid $5 at a yard sale last Summer. I've almost ditched this bike a few times, but now I finally have a vision for it. The 'SE' is a sorta double meaning kinda deal... SE Hawthorne is a cool neighborhood that butts up to my neighborhood, and I ride through there on a regular basis. And, since I'll be using some Schwinn parts on this Hawthorne, I was also thinking of it as the 'Schwinn Equipped' Hawthorne... kinda dumb, but I'm rollin' with it for now. :lol:

OK, so here's $5 worth..

4608293722_47b9a08086_o.jpg

4607684993_3803f52465_o.jpg

4608293800_076302cea4_o.jpg

I'm also re-jiggerin' my garage into a better workshop, so my slow start may continue to drag a bit.

Re: > SE Hawthorne <

nice frame to start with. i really dig the chain guard clamp (string) it screams ratty!
build well or die try'n!

Yeah, the galvanized strapping and the twine are my favorite parts of the original bike, so I'll keep those charms in place while I fine-tune the general lines of the bike. :D

Well, I'm pretty happy with last night's progress. So far I've added a Schwinn style springer and a front wheel (S5, I think), stem and bars (will definitely explore bars later) from a 50's Schwinn Racer. The rear wheel looks the same as the wheels on my '57 Schwinn Hornet, but I'm not positive this is a Schwinn wheel, but I'll find one if it's not.. it has a Felt Circuit on it now, but I'll likely end up with a Quick Brick on the rear.

4608293832_7637626b87_o.jpg

Aha, I knew you'd do something. I like that frame, I used to have one as well.

Hawthorne-1.jpg

Hawthornefront.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

I like the direction yours is going, hmm... maybe I should have kept mine.

Hey, thanks for posting that up.. it's cool to see another one of these frames built up. I'm really glad i kept this around... now I just gotta put these other bikes away and make some progress on this thing!

I know! I've been side-tracked! I should resume progress this weekend.. I think I found a seat I want to use, and maybe bars. Just gotta get off this other one!

>>> Grape Ape!!

I was never very happy with the lack of concept behind this, but I finally have a solid idea for the build... the new project title is GRAPE APE. One of my favorite cartoon characters as a kid, and it just feels right for this bike. I'm definitely happy with the new direction!

I have another set pf apes that are a bit cooler looking @ 18" instead of these 14" ones, but i think I'm going to stick with these, only because they'll be more comfortable to ride. I just need to find the right seat, then it's going to get a "Plum Crazy" paint job with green accents. Now I gotta get back on track, or I won't finish up in time!

4607685083_8f492102d4_b.jpg

Back