SWB0 Scrap metal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3891.jpeg

One of my coworkers threw this in the scrap metal dumpster at work, so obviously I took it home. The wheels were mismatched and beat, and all the shifter parts for the rear sturmey archer 3 speed are missing so I tossed the wheels in the pile. This is how it sits now
IMG_3892.jpeg
I will probably use different bars, and I really don’t like the color but I really really hate painting, especially in the winter so I may just live with it for now. Stay tuned for more disassembly

Theres something really racy about that frame on the stand! that paint would work with maybe some black n chrome accents! its not that bad a color, im a truckie and I gasp in horror at some of the new colored cars getting about on our aussie roads, they seem to have gone from shiny metallic to pastel like color schemes, the most popular ATM being that plastic grey undercoat look!
So yeah I dont mind that color, its different!

Theres something really racy about that frame on the stand! that paint would work with maybe some black n chrome accents! its not that bad a color, im a truckie and I gasp in horror at some of the new colored cars getting about on our aussie roads, they seem to have gone from shiny metallic to pastel like color schemes, the most popular ATM being that plastic grey undercoat look!
So yeah I dont mind that color, its different!
good idea, some black might make it acceptable

I bought these tires years ago to ride the mountain bike on rollers for winter exercise
IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_4739.jpeg
just at the limit of the rules 😁
IMG_4742.jpeg
in keeping with the scrap metal theme, these wheels came off the remains of a thrown away mountain bike. I’ll use the whole front wheel, and just the rim off the rear
IMG_4741.jpeg
IMG_4740.jpeg
lastly for today, my own scrap instead of someone else’s, I bought this hub at a swap meet several years ago really cheap and walked around with it for a couple hours before I realized it wasn’t a coaster brake, threw it in a box in the pile and kinda forgot I had it until I threw the sturmey hub off this bike in the same box
IMG_4743.jpeg

Anything new on the vintage skinny build?

I’ve been completely slacking on this bike but I want to get it done, so today I figured out what I have and don’t have to finish it. This $5 swap meet seat should work on a skinny build
IMG_4921.jpeg
also these pedals, I’ll use the existing crank and chain ring, they look to be in good shape
IMG_4922.jpeg
I like the bend of the bars but there isn’t enough room for the shifter and brake levers if they’ll even play nice together, haven’t checked yet 😁 but I had these in the pile
IMG_4924.jpeg
and I’ve got this chain guard off my typhoon to maybe add some black without actually painting…
IMG_4923.jpeg
now I’ve got to order some spokes, a chain and some brake pads and I should be able to assemble a bike before the end of March….

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Before and after pics of the bearing races
IMG_4955.jpeg
IMG_4954.jpeg
seat post from the parts box and my $5 seat installed
IMG_4956.jpeg
and I cleaned and greased the headset and bolted the front wheel on just so it looks more like a bike
IMG_4957.jpeg
still got a ways to go but it’s slowly getting there….

According to a couple of different websites, my serial number of P45897 means it was built either march of 1955 or November of 1956, older than I thought. My next step is the rear wheel, spokes got delivered, the hub is wider than the dropouts
IMG_4970.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpeg
I will need to address that, I’ll start by swapping out these fat locknuts for something skinnier
IMG_4971.jpeg
back in the old days of rim brakes on mountain bikes, cleaning the braking surface with scotchbrite was part of the maintenance process, so kind of a flashback
IMG_4972.jpeg
hopefully I can assemble a wheel this weekend, stay tuned….

Took longer than I wanted it to, but I assembled a wheel this morning. Put it on the bike to true it and I must have measured something wrong because the threads are bottomed out and it’s not tight yet, and the spokes are too short to do cross 4, I tried 😖 so I just ordered some shorter spokes that should be here Tuesday so I’m still optimistic
IMG_5007.jpeg

Latest posts

Back