Schwinn Straightbar Boardtracker Motorized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
This is a build I have been messing around with. It is a 1950 Schwinn Panther set up as a motorized boardtracker. It has a few custom features that I built into it like the gas tank, boardtrack handlebars, seatpost and bike stand. So far I have kept the original paint. I may start a build thread, but for now here are a couple pictures. Hope you like it.
DSC04596.jpg

DSC04595.jpg

one of the best moto-boardtrackers ive seen! 8) really nice and clean. somewhere there is an angry schwinn collector,shaking his fist at the screen! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here are a couple pictures of another in-frame tank in the early stages. I designed the tank in autocad, had the flat patterns laser cut in stainless steel, then tig welded the pieces together. These tanks take some serious time to fab but once finished are worth the effort. I threw the speedo on to see how the bike performs and I can honestly say she cruises at 27 mph comfortably and tops out at 37 mph. What a blast!
DSC04555.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

Man oh man that bike is sweet.

I'm a sucker for black bikes with black wheels.

Love everything about this one. :wink:

that thing is bomber !very cool .,i collect schwinns and i give it a thumbs up brother !!!

amazing bike talk about one that hits the nail on the head. although i will say true boardtrackers did not run air cleaners :lol: . just messing with ya stunning bike the colors and the tank really make the bike as well as the bar stem set up

Thanks for all the positive comments, makes it all worth the hard work. Still thinking about some subtle changes, but nothing major. Right now I just want to ride the thing and enjoy. My wife was skeptical at first with the whole motor bike thing until she took it for a cruise. Now she wants her own. I have another in the works, a non boardtracker, but still vintage Schwinn all the way.

I'd actually be interested in seeing a build thread for this bike, there's a few little interesting bits I'd like to know more about, like the drive chain tensioner, etc. and I see you are using a Pirate Cycles sprocket/hub adapter (or similar) and I see no other brakes on it, so I'm guessing you have a coaster on it? How well does the sprocket clear the brake arm? What did you use to extend the spark plug wire? (looks like a cool braided tweed wire they sell for electric guitars)

Lots of other little details I see going on there... I'd love to see more of it!

FunkyStickman,
Lot's of good questions and I can tell you know it's all in the details. Here are a couple more shots.

Here is the tank after paint and decals. The bigger the decal the harder it gets to apply them. I have been using a small Harley cap and weld-in bung to keep the tank profile nice and slim so the bike is still easy to peddle.
DSC04565.jpg

The bars are standard Wald bars that I cut down a bit. The drop brackets are inspired by a vintage Indian board track racer. They are fabricated from stainless shaft collars that have been machined down and tig welded together. These really allow a great deal of bar adjustment. People used to ask me why my bars were flipped upside down before I came up with the brackets. Now they just say "cool bars".
DSC04573.jpg

The spark plug lead is a vintage style cloth and laquer 7mm lead with a crimped on plug connection without the insulator boot.

From what people tell me vibration can ruin the whole experience on these motor bikes. I went with a quality made in the USA #41 roller chain and an 18 tooth idler sprocket with bearing insert. I use a laser cut idler mount tab that is tig welded to the frame. Finally on the drive train I use a Manic Mechanic CNC machined sprocket adapter that clamps around the coaster brake hub. This set-up keeps the rear sprocket running true without any up and down motion. The result is as smooth a drive train as you can get on a motor bike. The bike stand allows me kick start the bike in place and lets it get warmed up before I take it for a spin.
DSC04601.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

One last shot from the drivers seat. Ready to roll!
DSC04598.jpg

That ride is sweet! do you need plates where you are ? Also that tank is awsome what Tig setup do you use?

I am using a Lincoln square wave machine in my home shop. It's a big machine and has water cooling with high frequency start. My place of employment produces food processing equipment in stainless steel. We do alot of sheet metal work and have two laser cutters. The lasers cut stainless like butter and the precision is perfect. With tig welding the better the fit-up of the parts the easier it is to weld. I am fortunate to have access to this equipment and it has greatly improved the quality of my work.

Back