Schwinn Headbadge Protocol...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well...as all know.
I am doing up The 56 Schwinn Amerivcan Build.
I am still in the Design Stage.
But it will be a Shiny Bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

so my questions are these.....and my Gut tells me NOT to Paint it!

Is it a Bad Idea to Paint up The faded Schwinn Head Badge to match a Color scheem of a Build. :?:

How Hard is it to Find a N.O.S. Head Badge like mine( 1956 Oval ) :?:

A lot of Parts like the Fork set up will be left in True Ratty
Finish and patina......so an Unpainted Headbadge will not look bad,
I just have a Color Idea for it.

So...will all the Schwinn Gods Strike me down If I Paint it,

thanks in advance,
Kev.

Kev it's your bike! do what you would like to it!

and since when did you care what others mite think of anothers build? You told me yourself build what you feel like........sometimes your build is not for eveybody, like my Sharkfire.

its just my opinion but ......nothing is like a fresh new bike that you put together!

when it comes down to it its just a bicycle :)
most generally I dont mess with factory paints because I resell and thats where the money is but........but i do love finding bikes that are repainted already then the skys the limit :) as for a headbadge...... if its just a schwinn one no worries do what ya want there were millions made :)

Oh man Larry...you just beat me to it...ha ha.

The paint was almost gone on mine so I took some steel wool and took the rest of the paint off.

I then used some Mothers aluminum/metal polish to give it a chrome like shine. I thought it gave it that pre-war look. :wink:

100_4391.jpg

see...that totally escaped my thoughts!
and sometimes it's right in front of you!!!

Ask and you shaw recieve!

Larry....Rat Rod,
Thanks a Lot...I never even thought of that!

That looks incredible and it will Go GREAT with the
Knarley Chrome front End I have on the Build.

peace,
Kev.

on my wright brothers replica I wanted a badge to look old so i took a newer badge that was beat up abit and snipped the edge off to make it look earlier and flatter then scotch brighted it till it was kinda rugged looking then used clear lacquer over it so it wouldn't be shiney
P7220001.jpg

i would not worry about painting the badge. personally i like to polish them like rat rod did. but in the end it is your bike and like the saying on the volksrod site says. "pissing off purists since day one."

the only reasons i would not repaint it would be...

1. if i was going to sell the bike. (like hooch said)

2. restoration

3. if i planned on leaving the bike in original patina.

Kev, my vote would be to paint it! :p

(or you could take it off, and fill in the screw holes... :wink: )

Hooch, i want to see the shelby dunebuggy!

oct.

hahaha i need to get the pic of my brother inlaws 69 shelby gt500 clone
he spent over $800 on a reproducction glass hood for it and last week he was driving it down the highway and it seperated and blew off the car totally destoying the hood scratching the roof trunk and busting a rear fender extension so it kinda looks messed up with just the underside of the hood bolted down
luckily the company will replace the hood free I guess its the 3rd one it happened on

ive seen alot of A/M mustang hoods do that (not for the shelbys tho) when the form the 2 sides & glue em together, the glue is weekend when they get painted and baked in the paint booths, then BLAMO your hoods junk :D I mean :( :( :wink:

White with black lettering headbadges are super easy to get. Memory Lane has a bunch of different colour combos available too.

But having said that, I'm sure Kev could whip up some killer combo to go with whatever he's got in mind...

-Mp

Back