"Rusty Gold"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been saving my x-53 for the build-off. Its been killing me not being able to work on it!! Got a rear rack for it and it should be here tomorrow

6879488118_ec04d98a77_z.jpg

I'll upload more pictures tomorro

Re: Fat-53

Man that tank is always killer!! GTB !! Peace

Coolest frame so far 8) Is this gonna have fat tires? :mrgreen:

Yeah. I'm thinking some thick bricks. Hopefully I can find a set of the antique white... And ill have to either find a 24" skiptooth wheelset or convert it to regular

Well.. I like the thick brick white walls too...

Decided to change the name of my build to "Rusty Gold". I was cleaning and polishing the tank when I found a pleasant surprise under all that black paint.

7137649431_56495ae281_c.jpg

Got the crank off, cleaned up the best I could.. Chrome is shot. Bearings are going to need to be replaced, going to the bike shop tomorrow to get some ordered.

Going pretty slow. Been really busy this week.. Hopefully I can get something done tonight. Found more gold paint on the chainguard. Bought new high gloss paint yesterday so I'm working towards getting my sandblaster set up so I can get the frame stripped and repainted. :D More pictures to come.

Great looking bike! Here's a little info I dug up:

Murray produced the X-53 Super for Western Auto from 1953 to 1958... The skip-tooth chain and sprocket were used on the '53 - '55 bicycles, and the '56 - '58s had the 1/2 inch pitch chain. The fenders were painted for the first year or two, '55 and up had chrome fenders. The early ones wore a black and red paint scheme (Boys version) or two-tone blue for the Girls. Only a Boys model was offered after 1955, these and the '56 models wore a red, or red and gold paint job. The final run '57 -'58 were black and gold.

You can't leave us hanging like this with an X-53 build.

This bike is worthy of the nightly Yukon Cornelius back page save.

cornelius.jpg

Yeah Sorry about the dead post.. Summer has me really busy and doesn't leave me any time to mess with this bike. Dad's got this great idea that now he wants to start selling all of his stuff and put me in charge of selling it all, which is great because I love antiques.. So right now "Rusty Gold" has been sitting against my shop with a bike cover over it.

Tomorrow I'm going to soak the tank in oxalic acid and see if I can get the all the rust off of the other side. Frame is about to be stripped and re-painted black with gold accents. Got a rusty banana/polo style seat for it that I'll paint and re-stripe. Sold the Torrington's I had on it. Wheels and hub are toast so I'm going to switch to switch back to a 42 teeth sprocket instead of skiptooth. Rebuilt the bearings and packed them, going to sandblast the front fork since the chrome is shot.

Bought these cool gold handlebar ends to go on it. They were cool and different so I bought them(;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390423384491?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_926

Those are cool and unusual.

The Freaky Bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Latest posts

Back