Rusto-Resto

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.I got this Hawthorne for $30.It was just supposed to be the frame but the guy couldn't get it apart.THe Higgins is slowing down and I'm bored so I thought I'd mess with it.It seems to be all original so I'll probably do it up (someday) but I don't have enough room for stuff to just sit around.Big props For all the help in bike talk.Thanks guys.
get_crunk_004.jpg

get_crunk_005.jpg

get_crunk_006.jpg

So far I've got it all apart and freed up the chain.It was at my friend's shop so I could heat the seat post,I left it there an d he thought he would do me a favor and start sand blasting it :shock: .I stopped him but not before the chain gaurd and front fender got hit.I re-rusted the cleaned areas.You could just barely make out the original markings so I taped it off quick and hit it with some semi-gloss white I had sitting around.Ihad to wing the front fender due to the sand blasting and the white didn't come out the way I wanted on the front fender(I'm gonna fix it).I sprayed a crap ton of matte gloss over everything.

031.jpg

032.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

I'm trying not to spend any money on this one :roll: .I did buy a set of white rusty pinstripe rims with Morrow hubs(skiptooth).I have another hawthorne fork with an like new head set I will be using, and will probably just throw on the ww tires that were on my Higgins for now.Throw on a couple accessories and cover the seat with a bandana or something.Thanks for looking. :mrgreen:

i would'a done same thing - that is looking great. real ratness.

I've been working on a very similar hawthorne, and my seatpost might as well have been welded in too. :mrgreen: I finally got it by squeezing it to death in a vice and twisting the frame around it. I almost broke it off in the frame in the process.... :oops: That looks great, I love what you've done with it.

Great bike. I think keeping the rust was a good call. The white scallops look great and really catch the eye.

Looks awesome, and as usual you're making me very very jealous.

Its a shame about the chainguard getting blasted. The caked-on rust would have looked really cool against the matte patina.

Thanks guys.I'm really diggin this one now.I'm gonna mess with it today.Should have some pics up tonight.

Did a quick mock up with some rims today.I'm not using these just wanted to see it with some shoes on.

008.jpg

Scored some burlap from my mom and got the seat covered this afternoon.

009-1.jpg

011.jpg

Have to stretch it a little more but it is going to look cool. Might stamp it with some brown paint to make it look like it came from a potato sack.

My wife wants me to repaint the white on the bike with a antique white to match the burlap,so much so that she went out and got the paint.
I told her the white grips I had wouldn't work then,so she started looking for leather or wood ones.I think she is getting into this one.Works out for me. :D

I got some stuff done this weekend.Repainted everything but the front fender (needs work) with an antique white to match the burlap seat.Also worked out some low buck grips.

001-1.jpg

Ran to the craft srore with my wife to come up with something.Found a spool of leather lace ($8 for 25 yards) and wrapped the bars,then shoved corks in for bar ends.
002-1.jpg

I've gotta find cooler corks(tuff job :wink: ).I don't know if you can tell the color diff in the pics,but it matches the burlap and pops nice on the rust.
Hopefully my rims show today and I can run this to my buds shop this week to sort out the head and grease her up.

004-3.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. :mrgreen:

Thanks Gold.Just got home and found my rims waiting(finnaly).Time to get busy. :mrgreen:

009-2.jpg

Threw the rims on.Used the white walls from my Higgins.This thing is screaming for some cream tires but I'm digging the fact I'm under $60 for this whole build.Maybe for christmas.

HawthorneCigaro33.jpg

HawthorneCigaro34.jpg

HawthorneCigaro.jpg

I've got some different looking pedals coming,the ones on it are for my wife's bike.Think I'm gonna leave the rims for now will either clear coat them like the rest of the bike and add cream tires in the spring,or paint them the off white and add brown ones.Down to little details and just putting her together.Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for looking. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back