Rust is the pits

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Renaissance!! I will be getting a hold of you soon to buy one of your awesome Raceliner tanks.. I bought a real clean 26" Girls Flightliner in Chicago. Just waiting for a friend to bring it down because the lady wouldn't ship it.. This will be my first Big Boy Bike all because you inspired me with that awesome Raceliner!!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks Renaissance!! I will be getting a hold of you soon to buy one of your awesome Raceliner tanks.. I bought a real clean 26" Girls Flightliner in Chicago. Just waiting for a friend to bring it down because the lady wouldn't ship it.. This will be my first Big Boy Bike all because you inspired me with that awesome Raceliner!!!!View attachment 9163View attachment 9164
That bike looks like a perfect candidate for a tank and from what I've seen, it'll be in very competent hands! Just let me know.:)

View attachment 9158 And this is where I am at!! View attachment 9159 I'm just waiting for the filler to dry.. Then I can paint and install the guard.. And finish hooking up the 3 speed hub..:) Will post the final pics when I'm done...
The past couple of days I scanned the original guard that I got from rfeagleye and cut my own vinyl decal/stencil with a 18" Graphtec Craft Robo that I bought a few weeks ago.. I Polished the chain in a shaker full of walnut shells, stenciled and Re-Clear coated the chain guard..
image.jpg
image.jpg
Which came out pretty darn close.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
That is awesome! Great job on that guard wow!

Very cool that you used a stencil and did it like the original. It's finishing touches like that that make a restoration great.

I'm blown away man, AWESOME build!

Great job on the guard stencil, came out spot on.

I'd like to hear more about the walnut shells, chain looks great... are you using like a rock tumbler ? or what ? I have a small ultrasonic cleaner I got from a local jeweler that went out of business, neverhave tried it out for nuts/bolts/etc. (it's pretty small and I don't know what to fill it with ).

image.jpg
Great job on the guard stencil, came out spot on.

I'd like to hear more about the walnut shells, chain looks great... are you using like a rock tumbler ? or what ? I have a small ultrasonic cleaner I got from a local jeweler that went out of business, neverhave tried it out for nuts/bolts/etc. (it's pretty small and I don't know what to fill it with ).
Hey Al Luke Jaxon Mike Rob with one B.... And the rest of the Muscle Bike gang!! Thanks for all the kind words.. Al I bought two shakers from Harbor freight along with the walnut shells.. They have all kinds of media for my Bead blaster too. I dump all my bike hardware in them but I prefer the big tumbler.. Here are some pics with all Huffy Rail type parts..
image.jpg
This Slingshot spring was a rusty scaly mess, full of pits.. It's been in the shaker for three weeks.. I'm trying to save it because I can't find a replacement. Once I get all the pits out I will chrome plate it like I did this sprocket.
image.jpg
Here is my modified blasting cabinet and homemade powder coating oven. You can fit a bike frame in both...
image.jpg
image.jpg
Vinyl cutter..
image.jpg
Thanks again.. Robb with two Bs

Last edited:
Fantastic job start to finish, looks great! I'm building two Rails at the same time and hope they come out half as nice as yours.

So I got a killer deal on a cool checkered mirror for only $20 on a buy it now so I jumped on it, but the only thing was the mirror was shot.. So this is how I fixed it...
image.jpg
I broke the old mirror but saved the gasket trying to get it apart.. So i traced out a template using the broken mirror as a guide to cut a new mirror with a professional glass cutter. Not the kind that thy sell at the lowes or depot. I bought the cheepest mirror I could find at the Dollar store for a donor and cut out a new one. Then I sanded the mirror edge with a fine disc sander and snapped it back together..
image.jpg
Maybe I can make a cool decal that can go over the Bike Pals and say Huffy or The Rail!!
image.jpg

Last edited:
A Huffy decal for that would be sweet! The Huffy "H" with the oval. This build keeps getting better!

Lovin it.. and thanks for the shaker info, will have to go price one of those with my 20% off coupons.
Of course, now you know we'll be asking about the chrome ... :)

image.jpg
Lovin it.. and thanks for the shaker info, will have to go price one of those with my 20% off coupons.
Of course, now you know we'll be asking about the chrome ... :)
Of course I will get to that Al.. This is what I played with today, of coarse after I went to church first... :happy: Does it look like the factory might have done?
image.jpg

Back