RRBBO -Rat Rod Biker Build Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No issue with me. As it sounds, no major structural overhauls are being done to the frame. Just trimming what is not needed.

Go for it! It isnt structural.

peace-guy.jpg

If I had hair...it'd look like this guys! :mrgreen:

thanks,
Kev.

new_dharma said:
Does the donor bike have to be a complete bike at the start? I have one in mind, but it's not a complete bike (wasn't when I got it). I don't want to break any rules.
Also, I know we can't steal others ideas on the build, but in other parts of the forum there have been GREAT ideas...are those fair game?

I'm excited to do the build!

New Dharma

oops...by donor in this case was "donor to the Rat-Rod cause" (ie, the bike I want to use for this contest.)! My bad for not being more specific.

new_dharma said:
new_dharma said:
Does the donor bike have to be a complete bike at the start? I have one in mind, but it's not a complete bike (wasn't when I got it). I don't want to break any rules.
Also, I know we can't steal others ideas on the build, but in other parts of the forum there have been GREAT ideas...are those fair game?

I'm excited to do the build!

New Dharma

oops...by donor in this case was "donor to the Rat-Rod cause" (ie, the bike I want to use for this contest.)! My bad for not being more specific.

most guys are starting with JUST a frame.
your request is fine with me.

peace,
Kev.

Sounds like everyone is still in the game. :D

I may actually end up having an entry. Been trading emails with a guy locally who may be willing to donate some parts to the cause. I should know for sure by tomorrow.

If the deal goes through then I'll be adding some pics this weekend.

As the owner of the site and supplier of one of the prizes, I'm disqualifying myself from the running, but I do plan to try to build a bike and list the progress in the RRBBO forum. So far it's been fun to see what everyone is doing.

Thanks guys for making this happen and thanks Dumpster Diver for getting it started!!!

Steve

i will not b entering either, but RRBBO2 i will!

I think trimming the seat tube is fine. It doesn't change the structure/geometry of the original frame.
I think the goal is to try and keep a level playing field and allowing modifications that anyone would be able to do with the most basic of tools (i.e. hacksaw).
I think starting with just a frame is ok as long as it's a factory frame.
From the entries so far I'd say everyone gets the idea.

RatRod I don't see why you can't compete. I trust you not to tamper with the voting.

If it's ok I'd like to donate one of my bike related t-shirts to also be given as a prize...
http://www.cafepress.com/bikefest
http://www.cafepress.com/pub_pedal
Winner can choose.

never tried a build off ...my rats were always slapped together just so
another kid could ride with us...cept my personal rides. Should be fun
for this old guy...not like I need another but I got a pile of old stuff to
work with I guess I'm in to it.

Rule clarification

There was some brief discussion about fork modification (minor fabrication). My design has change and I need some slightly longer forks. Is this allowed?

Yes! It is an add on part to your STOCK frame. So go ahead and stretch those forks!

walmart rat rod

I just started on my rrbbo entry, please let me know what you think.

P1010075.jpg

This is totally brilliant! I'm flipping my Black Frak Chopper tomorrow. Man what a simple yet fantastic idea. All that has to be figured out is the seat post. I'll try to post some pics of it tomorrow. I mean, it totally changes the geometry of the frame, from the BB position to the rake of the fork... :shock:

Back