"road bike with Cruiser frame"what is the name for that ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GLund said:
Apologies if I'm committing Rat Rod blasphemy, but I have a retro mountain bike I'm considering 'cruiserfying'!!!

This is from a newbie Brit, so please show me the error of my ways if I'm thinking all wrong, but there are a limited number of 'original' cruisers about without spending silly pounds sterling!!! Plus 'she who must be obeyed' considers my 4 bike collection large enough so I'm trying to work with what I've got!!!

If you allow me to do my project (!!!) what would you call a cruiserfied mountain bike??? Would the name be the inverse of a mountainbike-ified cruiser???

Gary

"She who must be obeyed" - Ayesha? I don't recall her concerning herself with bikes... :mrgreen: Anyhoo, not blasphemy, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=56791

GLund said:
Apologies if I'm committing Rat Rod blasphemy, but I have a retro mountain bike I'm considering 'cruiserfying'!!!

This is from a newbie Brit, so please show me the error of my ways if I'm thinking all wrong, but there are a limited number of 'original' cruisers about without spending silly pounds sterling!!! Plus 'she who must be obeyed' considers my 4 bike collection large enough so I'm trying to work with what I've got!!!

If you allow me to do my project (!!!) what would you call a cruiserfied mountain bike??? Would the name be the inverse of a mountainbike-ified cruiser???

Gary

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64295

I ended up calling mine "Road track racer" but i still think it should be classified under "Roadster bikes"
its not an original cruiser frame , but its modified to look like one
DSCN4945.jpg

OneHorsePower said:
I ended up calling mine "Road track racer" but i still think it should be classified under "Roadster bikes"

That's a great looking bike, but the term "roadster" already has a specific meaning when applied to bikes. A roadster is your typical early post-war British bike: diamond frame, full gear case, rod brakes, likely an S-A three speed hub. Some of the Dutch bikes follow this model still. What you've got there deserves a more unique label. Obviously, we haven't settled on what that should be, but its not a roadster. It does resemble something I was thinking about doing, so we'll have to come up with an answer!

A few I can think of right now that are most likely stupid.

Beach Racer, Beachlight, Sand Racer, Sandlight, Road Cruiser or Speed Cruiser.

expjawa said:
That's a great looking bike, but the term "roadster" already has a specific meaning when applied to bikes. A roadster is your typical early post-war British bike: diamond frame, full gear case, rod brakes, likely an S-A three speed hub. Some of the Dutch bikes follow this model still. What you've got there deserves a more unique label. Obviously, we haven't settled on what that should be, but its not a roadster. It does resemble something I was thinking about doing, so we'll have to come up with an answer!

Oh! I just got a light bulb.

What about an American Roadster
to differentiate it from the existing British Roadster (and dutch opafiets)

Both have pretty much the same purpose, a comfortable bike that is well equipped for handling urban terrain and serious commuting in style.
But the cruiser framed ones have a a very American look to them.

But it will be weird calling a bike "american roadster" when you dont live in the US :? ..
What about "Superstock bikes" :?: The super stock cars are old muscle cars modified for extreme performance and racing

OneHorsePower said:
But it will be weird calling a bike "american roadster" when you dont live in the US :? ..
What about "Superstock bikes" :?: The super stock cars are old muscle cars modified for extreme performance and racing

You still live in North America, don't you? 8)

I'm not sure about "superstock". That would be a more appropriate term for some sort of muscle bike.

How 'bout "Bionic Cruiser" aka 6 million dollar bike (to reflect the enormous cost of a road bike)
I also kind of like "Sprinter"

just my.02

I kinda like “Speedster” as in a speedy roadster (British that is), but the name already has history.
“Path Racer” is a pretty good one too because that’s how I use them mostly.

In 1976, I bought a new yellow, single-speed, Schwinn Speedster with my own money (14 years old)
I brought it home, took the fenders and chain guard, swapped out the seat for a “10 speed” saddle and put on dropdown handlebars. It was fast and simple (but heavy).

When I named my RRBBoff6 Bike “Hot Rod ‘Liner”, I first thought of more big and littles and a rack, upright bars
Revision 1:
Rev1Done2.jpg

Then I decided to build something I could ride really hard (like my Speedster)
but have modern (lighter) components. Revision 2:
IMG_4022-1.jpg

It really didn’t look like a Hot Rod when I was done.
I’ve got ~600 miles on it now and love the bike and the way it’s put together, rides, and looks
(but still haven’t really defined a name for the style)

Good Topic! Thanks for posting it OneHorsePower

Awesome bike ! its a really good example of the kind of bike we try to define here
"path racer" sounds good , but nothing in the name distinguish any racer bike form one with a cruiser frame ..
"Speedster" could also mean "Speed/Coaster" :wink:..

"Vinspeed"? vintage/speed
"Coaspeed" ? coaster/speed
"Antrack"? Antique/track
idk...

Latest posts

Back