Rear hub help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, first , thank you all for your help ! i know very little about working on bikes so OMG thank you !
My question is, i have a huffy newport cruiser. I picked it up for $25. The rear hub wiggles and makes a gravel sound. Turns ok. Just that sound ! not good. Its a falcon cf e10 hub.
Is there a rebuild kit for this hub ? if so from where ? would i be better off to get a better quality hub ? how much can i expect to pay to have a new hub put on and the wheel trued up? or buy a whole new wheel , hub and all ?
what is a good quality wheel ?
well, thanks again.

You'll get a better response than this, but here goes.

Your hub being loose and sounding like gravel is due to lack of grease, leading to metal on metal contact. I'd say it's probably shot, but might be able to be rebuilt.

Personally, I'd probably just replace it. The cost to have a shop do it will vary depending on the shop. My shop charges me $60 to build a wheel.

You could buy a complete wheel, again price will vary. And it all depends on the wheel and hub.

That's the best I can do, the other folks here can give you names and possible prices.

This video explains the basics of what's involved in a hub overhaul. The procedure isn't tough, but it does require some special tools to do it without frustration. It sounds like you're just starting out, so maybe find a bike buddy or bike collective in your community to show you the ropes? That's how I started and got spoiled by all the shared tools the members "owned."

At home, I bought an inexpensive set of tools from Nashbar.com that cost right around $35. That set, an adjustable wrench, and a tube of grease is enough to maintain 90% of things that go wrong on your ride. If the bike bug bites you, however, you'll surely want more.

http://www.rjthebikeguy.com/videos/repairing-a-loose-bike-wheel-hub-overhaul/

i would like to rebuild this one if i can find the parts. why isnt there a rebuild kit ? or is there and i have not found it yet.

In my experience a falcon hub is a China copy of the Shimano CB. See this thread: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/coaster-brake-pedals-backwards-a-tiny-bit.92968/

Also just about any cheapo China hub can be a source of parts, I stripped down a little kids 10" bike the coaster is the same, used bearings and clutch to do this mod to my Wallyworld Huffy :
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-rodding-your-cb-hub-for-klunking-duty.93356/

I cannot overstate how wonderful this mod is for these hubs - better than new. :thumbsup:

When i push the bike backwards the pedals role backwards some and thay dont on my granddaughters bike. Is this a sign ? and if you had to buy all the parts inside this hub, on line, where would you go first ?

I think something like that is considered to be disposable. The races are probably beat, but you may be able to smooth them back out and replace the bearings with a slightly larger size if necessary. If the races are OK and there's space in the race, you might just want to throw some extra bearings of the same size in to fill out the race (reducing the contact with any imperfections) and grease everything up. Unless it's really shot, that should make it acceptable.

The parts are, basically, standard sizes--there are no "rebuild kits," per se. Certainly there are no exotic parts on an entry level bike, like a Huffy.

I'm sure you'll discover 9-10 1/4" steel ball bearings on each side of that hub. If they're chewed up, replace them. They can be bought at any bike shop, ordered online, or maybe even found at a hardware store--they're that common. Just wipe the races clean, spread down a layer of grease, embed the new bearings and reassemble. Not too tight; not too loose.

The difficult part is getting to those bearings without specialty tools to remove the freewheel or cassette, which is often--but not always--in the way.

If replacing bearings isn't enough, I'd get another hub. If you get one with the same width and spoke hole diameter, you can reuse the spokes if they're in good shape.

The pedals on a coaster brake hub do not normally rotate in reverse. It may be just jammed up with dirt or old grease, or sticking because of crapped out bearings, but with a Falcon, chances are pretty good that the hub shell itself is chewed up where it interfaces with the clutch assembly, in which case another thrift store or garage sale bike may be your best bet. As far as a new replacement, a complete coaster wheel is often cheaper than a wheel re-lace, depends on the shop doing it.

I would take the coaster hub apart and look for damage while cleaning everything. Old hardened grease needs to be removed and fresh lube applied. I've had hubs on trash day bikes very loose and looking trashed that were usable just by cleaning, lubing, and adjusting. It all depends if it had damage to the parts or shell. If it's one of those Chinese hubs, I found replacement parts on kids bikes, even the little 12" wheels were using the same hub! I changed out complete guts and was good to go. Or you could get a women's beach cruiser for 20 or 30 bucks on CL and have parts and tires. Women's because those bikes don't usually get beat up and are taken good care of.

I would take the coaster hub apart and look for damage while cleaning everything. Old hardened grease needs to be removed and fresh lube applied. I've had hubs on trash day bikes very loose and looking trashed that were usable just by cleaning, lubing, and adjusting. It all depends if it had damage to the parts or shell. If it's one of those Chinese hubs, I found replacement parts on kids bikes, even the little 12" wheels were using the same hub! I changed out complete guts and was good to go. Or you could get a women's beach cruiser for 20 or 30 bucks on CL and have parts and tires. Women's because those bikes don't usually get beat up and are taken good care of.
Yes, Wildcat is right, many people don't know what this
image_18291.jpg

or this
images

is. It's kinda sad (for them) but if you know the "secret" you can bring 'em back ! :grin:

Ok but if i had or wanted to, buy all new parts for this hub where should i look ? who has them ? who can i call or go on line with and tell them i have this hub and need everything inside but the shaft and kitchen sink and thay know what i need and mails me a zip loc bag of parts and a thank you card.
Im just saying....

Tramp,
I think you will find most of the China coaster brake hubs are identical just different names on the brake arm. So most any thrift store or yard sale hub is your spare parts. ;)

If it's new, factory parts you want. You might be able to call/e-mail huffy customer service and ask if you can buy them, but honestly your best and probably cheapest bet is to find another bike on CL or a yardsale.

I suggest you watch this foundation video from Coaster Culture--most modern hubs, regardless of the maker, operate in the same way. The only separate parts you're likely to purchase new are the caged bearings one either end. These are standard off-the-shelf items...they aren't even unique to bicycles.

If you insist on seeking out fresh parts for your baby, you can buy loose bearings and caged bearings here, for a few bucks. Just measure carefully before ordering--there are no hub-specific rebuild kits.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/components/bearings/loose-ball-bearings

Tramp,
I think you will find most of the China coaster brake hubs are identical just different names on the brake arm. So most any thrift store or yard sale hub is your spare parts. ;)

This certainly does seem to be the case; the KT hubs (for example) are of an identical desgn to the Shimano CB-E-110, with a few exception on the brake side, but the internal dimensions of the hub are the same. I haven't tried on a Falcon-branded hub, but my inclination (if you want new parts) would be to buy a new complete cb-e110 hub, and see if the guts don't swap. It IS a gamble, b/c if the hub shells' ID don't match perfectly, or if the way the shell was milled to interface with the clutch cone is off by a mm or a degree, then it won't work. But, if that's the case, you can just lace the new Shimano hub into the existing wheel.

BITD, they used to sell a repair kit for the CB-E110, which was a complete hub, minus the shell and the trim kit. (Typically, even complete new hubs don't include the trim kit, which includes the cog, snapring, dustcover, and brake strap--something to keep in mind while ordering...)
s-l225.jpg

The thing is, the repair kit was only like $2 less than a complete hub, and in a situation like yours, you might be best off having the hub shell, just in case your Falcon isn't compatible with Shimano guts.

The probable reason why they don't offer repair kits for the Falcon hubs is b/c these are oem equipment on low-end bikes. I'm not certain that you could even buy a Falcon coaster hub as a stand-alone aftermarket component; they are pretty much the original equipment for low-end dept store bikes, and are generally considered to be a consumable/disposable part by virtually everyone outside of the RRB community. The Shimano hub is no prize, but you can buy virtually every part for them a la carte, and they are noticeably superior to the KT HiStop, Falcon, CSC, etc...On the occasions where i swapped the KT internals for Shimano bits, you could feel a difference in weight and harness on many of the Shimano bits; they were also knurled differently where it counts. So, in the battle to decide which of the turds is greatest, the Shimano cb-e110 is the king of the toilet.

I suggest you watch this foundation video from Coaster Culture--most modern hubs, regardless of the maker, operate in the same way. The only separate parts you're likely to purchase new are the caged bearings one either end. These are standard off-the-shelf items...they aren't even unique to bicycles.

If you insist on seeking out fresh parts for your baby, you can buy loose bearings and caged bearings here, for a few bucks. Just measure carefully before ordering--there are no hub-specific rebuild kits.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/components/bearings/loose-ball-bearings

OK... That was awesome. Nice shot ! Just what I needed to see. With this video and all of you on here, I'm not afraid to take this apart . thank you all for your help

Lots of good advice here, yes?
I think you could just clean it up....
I believe this is a falcon hub on a smaller bike that was acting up LIKE yours is......once I got all of the gunk out and cleaned and lubed and tightened it up, ran smooth as could be...
Watch those vids by RJ the bike guy...he's a wealth of great info.
Oh...and take pictures when taking things apart....helpful later as schematics.
best
F r a n c o
rearcoasteHUB 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back