Question about 26 x 1 3/8 Wheels and 3-speed hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to fix up an old CCM Galaxie for my girlfriend. I'm a bit stumped on tire sizes, because the rims on this bike are 26 x 1 3/8. My first attempt was with some 26 x 2.125 whitewalls lying around but they didn't fit. So I checked out that Sheldon Brown website and now I'm more confused.

I don't want to change the wheels because it's got a 3-speed hub which I don't want to mess with. My local shop can only get gum-walls to fit this wheel ($14 each). Not bad, but not as good as whitewalls, and the tires will still be a little skinny for my taste.

Bottom line, is there a fatter white-wall tire that will fit on this type of wheel? Somewhere they could be ordered online?

Thanks for the help!

That size is an English size and the diameter only fits that size tires. Like the Schwinn S-5,6,7's it will only fit the one size tire.

So re-lace the hub to another rim or live with skinny tires.

Thanks for your responses. I'm pretty much set with my gum-wall solution at this point. I've got one more question for you tire-savvy guys....

Is there a place online to get 26" wheels with 3-speed hubs already built in? Like one of those nexus hubs? What can I expect to pay? When I spoke to my local shop it would've been $45/hr labor to put my old hub into a new wheel.... plus the rim, etc. It would definitely add up.

southp said:
Is there a place online to get 26" wheels with 3-speed hubs already built in? Like one of those nexus hubs? What can I expect to pay? When I spoke to my local shop it would've been $45/hr labor to put my old hub into a new wheel.... plus the rim, etc. It would definitely add up.

Bike Parts USA Look at the first 2 here a 7 and 3spd
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/view.asp?f_ ... +inch&cp=1

Also Nirve http://www.nirve.com/parts.asp?cid=3005

and Electra http://www.electrabike.com/06_new/flash_index.html

Skinny whites

I've got a 26 x 1-3/8 whitewall on the front of this bike. Got it at an indoor swap meet. I've also seen 27in. sinny whites too.
bobber2.jpg

The CCm's and The Phillips and The raleighs are a Pain in the But!

I have walked away from BEAUTIFUL 3 Speed Vintage Phillips and
Raleighs...and CCm's because I know how hard it is to Re-Tire them.

I have a 1952 Phillips and I have come to realise I am probably
going to have to Paint White Walls if I want them.

It's also not Just the Width...The Actuall Bead where the Tire Seats is different.

You can Probably get a Few Bucks on Craigslist for the Pair
of Rims and 3 Speed Combo you have right now...

then buy a Set of wheels that match with a Nexus 3 Speed..
Just watch out....The Old Frames don't have all the Room to Fit
a Wider Hub and a Bigger Tire.

It is a Pain...but as a fellow Canadian knowing all about
those Goofy Tires....I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

peace,
Kev.

Clothespin "n" said:
The CCm's and The Phillips and The raleighs are a Pain in the But!

I have walked away from BEAUTIFUL 3 Speed Vintage Phillips and
Raleighs...and CCm's because I know how hard it is to Re-Tire them.

I have a 1952 Phillips and I have come to realise I am probably
going to have to Paint White Walls if I want them.

It's also not Just the Width...The Actuall Bead where the Tire Seats is different.

You can Probably get a Few Bucks on Craigslist for the Pair
of Rims and 3 Speed Combo you have right now...

then buy a Set of wheels that match with a Nexus 3 Speed..
Just watch out....The Old Frames don't have all the Room to Fit
a Wider Hub and a Bigger Tire.

It is a Pain...but as a fellow Canadian knowing all about
those Goofy Tires....I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

peace,
Kev.

Yeah, I've researched just about everything and I'm still not sure what route I'm going to take. By the time I figure this out and get the wheels/tires the season will be over and my girlfriend will still be ride-less.

I'm thinking of just sucking it up and making a new 26" wheel with the original hub. It will cost slightly less than buying a brand new 3-sp wheel, but I know the hub will fit and I know it works with the shifter which I believe is Sturmy Archer.

Again, thanks for all your responses!

By the way, if anyone is following this thread and also looking for a 3-speed hub, etc...

You can buy an ENTIRE BIKE with a 3-speed sturmey archer hub at Walmart (US-only I think) for $119 which is the same price or cheaper than getting a nexus hub wheel, or some of these other options. Check it out here:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3596787

sturmey archer

I run three speeds on all my bikes, all sturmey archer 3 speeds, one has a coaster, the rest are free wheels, i have an old Shimano S3 , three speed also. I love sturmeys, they rock! one is a 28 hole , two are 36 and one is a 40, so yeah watch out, Michelin, schwalbe, wtb and a few others , make tires that fit these, i have only one on the original rim though, all are on e mountain bike rims now, lighter, stronger hold paint better and better braking.

3 speeds

also, if your from canada Chaingang lowrider has three speed wheelsets on special right now, check em out, I know u probably already have.

Re: 3 speeds

NorthSideKustoms said:
also, if your from canada Chaingang lowrider has three speed wheelsets on special right now, check em out, I know u probably already have.

Yeah, they have a whole set with tires and some handlebars included for $175. That's a bike waiting to happen right there. Tempting.

Rat Rod said:
Folks in the US could also just buy one of these...

http://justbicycles.com/bike_details.ph ... ch-Cruiser

Looks like they are local to me too. :shock:

Just Bicycles.com
3426 Valley View Lane
Garland, Texas 75043

Yup, that's the one I would get. But with tax and customs it would be more lke $300 after all is said and done. The nexus hub and wheels/tires alone are worth it... and then just have fun with the rest of the bike.

southp beat me to it. I was going to tell you that I bought a complete bike from Wal-Mart for $99 with a surmey archer 3 speed, alloy wheels and balloon tires. So far I've used every single part off of that bike except for the frame and chain guard. I think the frame may even be aluminum but I forget.

Kustom Kreator said:
southp beat me to it. I was going to tell you that I bought a complete bike from Wal-Mart for $99 with a surmey archer 3 speed, alloy wheels and balloon tires. So far I've used every single part off of that bike except for the frame and chain guard. I think the frame may even be aluminum but I forget.

What have you thought of the hub?

Some folks disliked this hub because of poor quality.

Would like to hear your opinion.

Latest posts

Back