POCA RATA "Little Rat" DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: POCO RATA "Little Rat" (Bar Change AGAIN!)

Pick I'm digging the new bars. I like all the straight lines on your bike, and it still looks vintage. The only curves are at the top of the truss rods, and where the seat stay tubes curve down to the drop outs. It just flows well IMO.

pick,
I've plugged the bottom of forks with rubber roadie bar end plugs, they should fit the top too.. They fit quite easily plus since there's hole in it you can run your speedo or brake cable through the bottom of the fork and out the plug at the top for a clean look.

Another option (price depends on your 'stash' of parts) is to use a 1" star nut and cap from a threadless headset (again hollow bolts are available to run cables through).

P.S. I hate cables

Good luck, love the direction this bike is going.

Cheers,
Dr. T

The bars look good,pick 8) As does the rest of the bike.Like Diabolical Dork said,a quarter fits perfect.I used a Colorado quarter on last year's build.A top cap from an OCC Stingray works,as seen on Bat Rod.Or keep a quarter in your pocket to size things you find that may work :wink: Killer build 8) 8) Keep up the great work :!:

Judd & Circa: I am diggin the quarter idea! Got one I can borrow? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Doc: I like that idea too, but I am with you on the cable thing! I hate em! :mrgreen:

Thanks for lookin guys! & thanks also for your expert input, it is greatly appreciated! 8)

Peatbog said:
To heck with the bars. That frame with that tank with that seat with those big honker tires--that thing is sweet. You don't even need bars*.

*Okay, maybe you do, but it already takes two men and a boy just to look at all the cool. I mean, how much do you need?

Thanks Peatbog! The grandson "thinks" he needs bars, I keep trying to convince him it's not about comfort, it's about cool! :?

That's the way I am about cars! I like the rats, loud, rough riding, old, don't handle very well, but the look is cool!

If I'm going on a 500 mile or more vacation, I will take my wife's car! :mrgreen:

Thanks for lookin! :mrgreen:

This bike has a very cool drag bike / gravity bike stance to it.
SWEET!

pick said:
Judd & Circa: I am diggin the quarter idea! Got one I can borrow? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: 8)
Pick I am sure I could find you a quarter, just tell me what year you need and I will get my cardboard and marker. There is an overpass right by my hotel. People are always asking for change there. I will just ask specifically for a 2004 quarter or whatever year you need. No worries buddy, I got you.

Diabolical_Dork said:
pick said:
Judd & Circa: I am diggin the quarter idea! Got one I can borrow? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: 8)
Pick I am sure I could find you a quarter, just tell me what year you need and I will get my cardboard and marker. There is an overpass right by my hotel. People are always asking for change there. I will just ask specifically for a 2004 quarter or whatever year you need. No worries buddy, I got you.

That's what I like about this site, Teamwork!

Thanks for the offer Judd! :lol: Although this is a low budget build, I think I'll just look under the sofa cushions, or in the floorboard of my car & find one! :lol:

I have thought of sitting on the corner somewhere with a cardboard sign with: PLEASE HELP! WILL WORK FOR OLD BIKES! :mrgreen:

pick said:
PLEASE HELP! WILL WORK FOR OLD BIKES! :mrgreen:
That's perfect! I mean isn't that why we all have jobs anyway? To BUY old bikes! Cut out the middleman, our wives will totally understand I am sure.

Diabolical_Dork said:
pick said:
PLEASE HELP! WILL WORK FOR OLD BIKES! :mrgreen:
our wives will totally understand I am sure.

Yeah, Right! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks for lookin Bro!

Just lettin ya'll know, I haven't done a thing to it in 2 weeks! I kinda like to wait till the last minute to finish, Love the pressure! :mrgreen: Still trying to round up some finishing parts & my paypal account is pretty slim rite now! :shock:

SIX WEEKS TO GO!!!!

"]
pick said:
Pick! You still need that quarter? We need an update bro. Too much working and not enough time working on bikes! :mrgreen:

Re: POCO RATA "Little Rat" (Out of Hibernation!)

Diabolical_Dork said:
"]
pick said:
Pick! You still need that quarter? We need an update bro. Too much working and not enough time working on bikes! :mrgreen:

Funny you would mention that! Did a little work on it today. Cut down top of fork tubes (about 3/4"), removed excess material from dropouts & installed crank & sprocket for trial fit. The GT crank would not fit in the frame, so I had to take it off & install the chainring on the original eliminator crank assy. Kind of wanted the longer crank arms, but Oh Well! I like this sprocket on it.

Also cut out patterns for metal patch pieces for top & bottom of tank. Hope to get them cut out & welded & also the strut rods welded on the forks this week. I have a couple of ideas for the seat post. Either half of a cut up crank, or maybe part of a handlebar. I would like the seat back over the rear wheel & as low as possible. After all welding is done out comes the grinder. Won't spend a lot of time smoothing out the welds though, it IS a RAT! Anyway thanks for the bump from page 3 & here are some pics:

crankndrops001.jpg

crankndrops002.jpg

Showed the bike to my 7 year old grandson today! He hasn't seen it in a while. His comment was "That is awesome & cool, & that's a great combination!" :lol: BTW I am building this for him! I get a bigger kick out of building him bikes than I do building them for myself! :D

Does he know it is for him yet?

I really like this build.
MO FATTA MO BETTA!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Does he know it is for him yet?

I really like this build.
MO FATTA MO BETTA!!!!!

Yeah he knows, but I have built him so many bikes, I think he's gotten used to it! Still loves them when they are done & rideable! I think the only stock bike he ever had was a 12.5 inch bmx bike. He took his own training wheels off at age 3 & has been riding ever since! :D That kid can ride anything! :mrgreen: That smile is worth all the bikes in China! :lol: :mrgreen:

Ya getting there Pick!! Hurry up time is ticking! Peace

Latest posts

Back