P40- SHE'S AWOL!!! Now Showing X-52.5 aka Plan B

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That chain guard is the bomb! You could always trim the size of the fins down a bit to avoid lacerations on your achilles. Build is looking good!

Witty! The chain guard IS the bomb!!:grin:

I am envious of your machine gun!

Only a small update tonight. I got the spring cut down and re-arched to follow the edge of front tire similar to a fender.

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

Next, I get to drill a total of 8 holes 5/16" in the spring steel for mounting bolts.......fun, fun!!

Wow , missed a tone of progress here !

i think the rack looks nice! but it would look better with curves or at an angle to flow with the chainstays and 2nd top tube imo

Great fab work on that fork spring hanger:41:

Wow , missed a tone of progress here !

i think the rack looks nice! but it would look better with curves or at an angle to flow with the chainstays and 2nd top tube imo

Great fab work on that fork spring hanger:41:

Yeah, the rack was just tossed on there to see how it looked. I will do some tweaking before it finds it's final resting place. Thanks for the compliment!

Spring work looks great, love the chain guard idea.

Luke.
Thanks Luke, I saw a build some time back that used a caster wheel bracket and cut rockers out of each side. If I can find something suitable that would save me some time fabbing them up.

I thought about using the plates from old door hinges as rockers, the metal is thick enough. But it would depend on how long you want your rockers to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's another idea to look into.

I got the leaf spring drilled, it was a slow process....... but I endured!

IMG_2038.JPG

I think that this will be about how I want the front end to setup. The tip of the spring will flex with the wheel, so I have about 2" of travel at this height.

IMG_2042.JPG

Funny thing, I was sure that the Samurai spring was perfect for this front end, it was pretty easy to flex..........until I cut it down to 13"! Now it seems very stiff, I don't think it will flex 2" if I jump up and down on the handlebars.

Funny thing, I was sure that the Samurai spring was perfect for this front end, it was pretty easy to flex..........until I cut it down to 13"! Now it seems very stiff, I don't think it will flex 2" if I jump up and down on the handlebars.

That sucks, but it looks cool.

Well, I went with the caster wheel bracket cut up to make my rockers. And I talked @ratrodz into basically selling me a cut down Monark fender for about the cost of shipping it to me. Thanks Arron! I am in the trial fit stage with these parts right now.

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

Genius here has no idea why the picture above turned sideways, it's not sideways on my computer! Anyway, now I am trying to figure out how I want the forward struts to look. I cut the chain stays out of one frame, and I'm looking at the curvy seat stays off of a girl's frame to see what looks best.......or I may scrap both ideas. Any input is welcomed at this point. If I'm not careful, this front end is going to weigh 100 lbs..

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Since it's a question of aesthetics, if these are the only options. I'd go with chain stays, the curves of the seat stays draw your eye away from the rest of the fork.

Haha, a vote for both! That is kinda how I'm felling too! Do you think the fender looks alright in there?

Personally, I think the bracket you welded to the fork makes a good leading edge. If you mounted or cut the fender to flow off that line I think would look good.
Looks like you have enough fender to go with the street sweeper look, which might look good against the leaf springer.

I like the curved struts the best.
I like the fender, but maybe slide it forward more.

I like the curved struts the best.
I like the fender, but maybe slide it forward more.

Interesting idea on the fender, I do plan have both front and rear fender set at the same level on the back edge.

Back