Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh it gets sweeter! Some of the original paint was preserved under 3 re-sprays. I took off a little bit of it to give it that patina look and made it a cool rat rod. :mrgreen:

Got a guy coming to get it for $90! I gave him a break on the price since he's coming all the way from CHICAGO! :shock: 3 hour drive one way! Now that's a determined guy!

That's almost exactly like the one I got in Kokomo. Mine didn't have the lowrider fork and has what looks like a chrome fork for a 24" bike. Great find tho!

Was riding down to the store and found a few bikes in a pile, I asked and he said this one I could have and to check back in a day or two on the other one as he was gonna get a few parts off of it first. Nothing special but good rat material.

Kinda cool ratty motocross style bars on it.

Hah, a Vertical PK7. I did a single speed conversion on one this spring. Here is the build thread:
PS, check the recall notice on it. There is a mfd date & model number sticker on or near the bb shell.

rick

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70856

I looked and all I saw was a recall on the 20" model. (Not that I trust China's engineering anyway) I was thinking of doing something similar, I was thinking of eliminating the shock and put a solid bar in it lowering it a few inches then put some upside down cruiser bars on it, fat tire in the rear and skinny up front. and turn it into a board-track / bomber style bike but the way I ride I need a strong frame (I don't exactly baby my bikes). It is pretty much trashed as far as putting it back together original. The rear wheel is gone, cables are frozen or missing, derailleur is trashed, I might just chop it up and scrap it and see what else I find up there after hearing about the recalls on similar models. Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of making up a solid bar too as a shock replacement. it would just take 3 pieces of the right size pipe, welded up. But why not with a turn buckle so you can dial in the ride height which would also affect steering trail? That could be a slick way to adjust chain length too.

rick

Yeah it could be cool but I got so many projects to do now I really don't have room for another. I'm gonna keep the fork, wheel, and bars and just scrap it out. The frame feels like it's ultra thin wall tubing and kinda flimsy.

I was out riding around with my trailer junking around and came upon a 5 HP briggs lawn mower motor, it was blown up like Hiroshima but I know my "Mower guy" can always use parts so I tore it down for the aluminum and took a big bucket of bolts, carb, pull start, and other parts over there for him to use, coincidentally he was working on the same exact engine and was about to go in the morning and buy a carb, air filter, and coil and fix the pull start rope. :lol:

Well anyway since I'm the local "Bike guy" He asked me if I had any cheap 20 inch bikes I was selling because a kid down the road from him had his bike stolen and his parents were low income so he was trying to help the kid out. I told him I'd keep my eyes open but didn't have anything cheap at the moment. I remember being the poor kid growing up and having bikes stolen so I can really relate to the kid and I felt kinda bad I couldn't help out.

Like a sign from above, on the way home not even 2 minutes later I found this laying in a trash pile. :shock:

I've also been looking for a pair of mag rims for some time now so this killed two birds with one stone. I get a free pair of mags, a kid gets a bike, and it put a huge :D on my face. I'm gonna drop it off tomorrow so he can take it to the kid. It's a good day.

Double Score! Cool story it's nice your helping out the kid. That bike is pretty wild, I just got a Moto bike for my son but the bike you found is like the extreme Moto bike!

I just have one thing to do before I drop it off tomorrow...

A sticker like this one will go on the front visor. :wink: Shameless plug? Maybe but who knows maybe someone will get curious and get hooked like I did.

This absolutely made my day that I am able to help a kid out and even more stoked that I can do so with no money out of pocket. Then the safe-lite mags are a killer bonus! I am thinking the mags might be just the thing Dark Horse 2 needs to set it off. :mrgreen:

Cool Joe!! That's a little nicer than the one I got. You shoulda hit me up for a boys 20. I've got a couple good ones I set aside for a situation just like this. I could bring it to ya tomorrow too.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Cool Joe!! That's a little nicer than the one I got. You shoulda hit me up for a boys 20. I've got a couple good ones I set aside for a situation just like this. I could bring it to ya tomorrow too.

I just heard about it today and found this on my way home. Thanks for the offer though! If you still wanna stop by and do some part swapping or whatever stop by, I should be home by noon and don't have anything else planned after that but working on my bike if my tires come in.

outskirtscustoms said:
Chips_Mahoy said:

I just heard about it today and found this on my way home. Thanks for the offer though! If you still wanna stop by and do some part swapping or whatever stop by, I should be home by noon and don't have anything else planned after that but working on my bike if my tires come in.

Okay. I should be able to get up there around dinner time.

How old/big is the kid that's getting the bike? Those bikes are small. My youngest looks really big on it. The frame is like a 16" tire frame w/ a fork for a 20" bike. Weird.....

That's cool, the guy said he's between 9 and 12, not real sure. If nothing else I can throw some different bars on it or whatever to give him some room. Would look sweet with some mini apes or low end BMX bars like huffy had in the 80's.

Re: Trading up is good! And my trades with fellow RR biker

outskirtscustoms said:
Anybody know where the serial numbers are on the Ross Apollo? I have looked everywhere and unless they are buried in paint I don't see them. Also can someone point me in the right direction to find out what year it is?
Beuler? Beuler?

A kid down the road fell in love with my bike "Dark Horse 2" so I worked a good trade with him. I got an Eastern Traildigger BMX bike and my old custom Schwinn Z-Force lowrider back, he got Dark Horse 2 and I am gonna help his dad run the wire for the lights on his boat trailer.

I LOVE this sticker on the Eastern...They should put these on all Walmart bikes!

Back