Otasco Flying O Lancer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you finally accept that you will probably never be able to find the plastics you need for your old Murray built Flying O, and they almost fall into your lap.

Struck a deal today to get the headlight shroud, dash plate, sprocket spinner and the front fender ornament (sans the red jewel piece). Shipping from Ohio on Saturday.

pretty tickled about this find. The plastics are off a girls sonic flite, but they are the same as what I need, also getting the horn, as the dash is for a headlight and horn setup, so I will have a horn also. :cool2:

The headlight shroud has the lens also, clear and new looking. The best part is, the price is really low.

new headlight shroud.jpg

I didn't realize you needed the sprocket plastics, I'd have sold/traded that a few months ago.

Oddly enough, I just cast a new lens today. Have to give the new epoxy time to cure. Will see how it goes, then start on dash switches.

Any chance you're in need of a rear rack with working light?

I have a complete rack, mine originally came with reflectors, and has them again.

IMG_2021.JPG

the part I am really stoked about is the fender ornament, I really never thought I would be able to get it.

fender ornament.jpg
sprocket spinner.jpg

Yea, that fender ornament is a tough one to find.
So far my replicas aren't doing so well, this is a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

it's all even better in person. omg.

almost better than the best Christmas morning ever.
parts.jpg
light lens.jpg

it is so clear, in such good shape it looks like it is new.
so much better than the original one.

IMG_20160101_125916_769.jpg

I hope to have them refinished by the weekend. Going to have led lights put in the headlight, oh, I got the complete light tray with reflector also. .

I have some e10 style led 's that just thread right in, I can send you a couple if you'd rather try that.

so you all know, the girls headlight shroud and dash, are smaller than the boys, each by about a half inch diameter. They do not interchange.

The headlight lens works, as does the fender ornament and sprocket spinner.

Win some, lose some.

I will have a headlight shroud, light assembly/battery tray, horn and dash for sale though. The battery tray looks exactly the same as the boys.

so, right now I am working in Atlanta GA for 3 months, I just picked this up Saturday.

It is not an Otasco though.

It is a Murray built, 1964 AMC VIII, 98% complete bike, missing the strobe light from the rear rack, and the jewel in the front fender ornament.

I aired up the original tires, and rode it a couple blocks already. Rides smooth and sweet, but it does need new tires to be a rider. Even has the jeweled pedals on it. Light to moderate surface rust is the biggest thing wrong with it, not bad for a 52 year old bike.

20160514_133730.jpg
20160514_133715.jpg
20160514_133735.jpg
20160514_133751.jpg
20160514_133723.jpg

If I had known that rack was original to the AMC, I wouldn't have traded the one I had. Oh well, live learn.
Cool find tho, mine is rattle canned orange.

I'm (slowly) restoring a Murray Astro Flight for my wife. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/murray-astro-flight-slight-resto-mod.89085/

A lot of it looks the same. I really dig that fender ornament, but I've never seen one before so I'm sure they are rare. I kept the plane ornament from a Huffy I bought and got the replacement clear red tail. I think that's what I'm going to put on the front fender, after I re-chrome all the plastic, which is a mess.

be careful rechroming the plastics, I roached the originals for my 63' Flying O during that process and had to reshape them with a heat gun.

I am actually taking the plastics from the AMC for my Flying O and selling the AMC

Back