Otasco Flying O Lancer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as in I would buy one from you, right now I have one that is broken, so in the mean time I am just using a flat piece of acrylic cut to fit.
Oh, I only have one original and one not very good replica. Give me a couple weeks and I'll see if I can make a decent replica.

You need the triangular shape lens right?

IMG_20160101_125916_769.jpg This one

Here's the first one I made, I either mixed it wrong or it cured wrong. Way to many bubbles.
9b34535caba2926368b9133f66870173.jpg
392c746281e6d93772b985bf3424e642.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

I was going to do this, however I can't make a decent mold from mine, due to being out on the farm in the Oklahoma sun for 40 years.

From what I read, on the acrylic polymer, if you don't have a vacuum to remove the air bubbles, this can happen. An option is to stir it very slowly while mixing, then pour it from a few feet above the mold, then the air bubbles are forced to the surface from the physics encountered in the pour. The old e+mc2 thing.

Yea, I think that's pretty much what happened. I've used the same acrylic for other things and didn't have this issue.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

There's a makerspace located in the city and I think I'll try to meet up with those folks to determine if their 3D printer can churn out lenses from transparent PLA. If successful, we could pretty much mock up any plastic part required.

There's a makerspace located in the city and I think I'll try to meet up with those folks to determine if their 3D printer can churn out lenses from transparent PLA. If successful, we could pretty much mock up any plastic part required.
That's what my stepson figured on.
He got a new 3D printer, but when it arrived it had parts missing. The manufacturer won't send the missing pieces, only e-mailed cad designs so he can make his own.
Might be awhile before his printer is up and running.

plastic parts could be a help, when I was repainting my chromed plastics, dash, headlight case and hub sprocket, some kind of weird chemical reaction happened and distorted the pieces. I had to remove the finish, guess the chemicals are just to hot for plastic. I ended up just using a plastic paint on them, they are a little tweaked, but will work until some fall into my lap.

so my headlight shroud and the dash for the tank are so distorted from my error on painting that they won't fit on the tank now. I am going to have to improvise something at the front for now.

also, my 2 speed automatic bendix kickback hub is hashed, and need to find another hub, or get this one rebuilt.

aside from that, here it what it looks like now.
together again cut  reduced.jpg

What kind of paint did you use on the plastics that made them warp? When I got my AMC the light bezel was painted but it's not warped.

I used a chrome paint, and had it in a heated space while curing, it was like they all melted a bit. I was able to use the sprocket spinner, but the two other pieces are to deformed to work now. :(

well then, as I was trying to figure out how to get new plastics, I thought...

If the plastic got deformed from getting to hot, what if I heat it up and try to reshape it so it fits again??

Well, it worked. At least to where I could get them on the tank. they are not perfect, but they will work until I get lucky enough to find and be able to afford replacements for it.

With that in mind, it is together again.

I had to straighten the frame where it was run over. I salvaged everything I could. Straightened the crank and fenders also. Could not really fix the right side rear fender bracket any better.

There are a few things not stock.
The front fender airfoil is off a '62 Strato Flite
The rear stimsonite reflector is off a 64' Spaceliner
The seat, well no one wants to ride on the stock seat, and mine was toast.
The handlebars are a Torrington style from pre-war design ballon tire bikes.
The tires are Duro Beach Bum, 26x2.125 and barely fit, but they fit.
The grips are Hunt Wilde, not stock Murray built.
The rack reflectors are just 1" round, not torpedo (I can't do 30.00 a reflector)
The seat post is a Wald post.
The pedals are NOS from the 70's

I hope to be able to afford the vinyl decals for it, I have an artist who is going to reproduce it all for me, but that will be a few months away.

I also found out my 2 speed kickback hub is toast, so I am getting another hub and will need to take it apart and lace that in.

Anyway, here it is.

I like it.IMG_2018.JPG IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2020.JPG IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2024.JPG IMG_2025.JPG

Looks good, and you're right about the seat. My AMC and Astroflite both have the original seat, as well as my Skymaster. After 10 minutes of riding they hurt.

If you're interested I think I have an original set of bars and grips, I'd have to look to make sure; but if so we might be able to work a deal.

I have my original grips, and bars. The bars are rusted out, and tweaked from when it got run over.

I was going to go with the same style bar originally, then found a wald 8095, and did not like how it looked, so I found these. They are a Torrington re-pop, and the amazon store that had them, this was the last set. They were almost free. 15.00 including shipping.

I was shocked at how huge they are, they measure 32-1/2 inches at the outside. But when I put them on the bike, I really got stoked at how they look, they feel natural also. Of course having ridden nothing but beach cruisers since 1978', I kind of like that feel.

Last edited:
Back