Oriolus Rattus- photo update, call it done 6/17 - I lied 8/5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little name change and change of status

With the help of some rust remover and a dremel I was finally able to get the chain adjusters out of this frame and do some parts swapping. Kind of had plans to do this up in orange and black like a real oriole ( the bird ), but this Schwinn fork I had laying around had a fairly nice match of patina when I saw them together out in the sun. Have a nice minty blackout Morrow hub that would look good laced in.

IMG_0993.jpg

PIc of a `38 from http://www.nostalgic.net

1938%20Elgin%20Oriole%201.jpg

Re: Elgwinn?

that frame looks like someone stretched it! is the frame actually stock?

Actually I almost posted Schwelgin, but thought since it was more Elgin than Schwinn it ought to get top billing, Schwelgin does have a better ring to it though.

That frame is bone stock, 30-something Elgin Oriole, it's got an effective top tube length of 25+". I tried a 7 seatpost on it but it was ridiculous.

I'm surprised you got those forks on there. I tried to put some glitter green Schwinn script grips on the Westfield I'm building the other day . Everytime I got close to the bars with those grips ....My hands started shaking and the bars turned where I couldnt put them on. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Gonna be a cool looking build. Love those frames.

stretch said:
maybe turn the 7 seat post around to bring you closer? :mrgreen:

If I can find one with a sharp enough 7, the one I tried was from the guy I got the frame when I picked it up, ~90 degree angle.

Uncle Stretch said:
I'm surprised you got those forks on there. I tried to put some glitter green Schwinn script grips on the Westfield I'm building the other day . Everytime I got close to the bars with those grips ....My hands started shaking and the bars turned where I couldnt put them on. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Gonna be a cool looking build. Love those frames.

I still need to try it with bearing caps etc, it might be close. Original plan was for something like below except scalloped black and orange fork darts, with creme colored striping.

Worksmanneedlethreader_036.jpg

socal_jack said:
Actually I almost posted Schwelgin, but thought since it was more Elgin than Schwinn it ought to get top billing, Schwelgin does have a better ring to it though.

That frame is bone stock, 30-something Elgin Oriole, it's got an effective top tube length of 25+". I tried a 7 seatpost on it but it was ridiculous.

You could have posted "Elginn" or the "El-Schwinn".

I like the bike as-is.

Re: Elgin Oriole

Like I said, painting was the original plan until I saw everyting outside so it's staying essentially as is. However even cherry picking headset parts I'm left with only a couple of threads holding the top nut. I'm probably going to bring the frame down to an LBS to get the head tube faced, try to get a few millimeters back for threads. I need to cleanup the headtube first though alot of old crap in there.

Scored a luck 7 post for $10 incl shipping.

I'm in Encinitas, North Co SD. Maybe when it warms up more, need a more central place.

Tried out one of the new thick bricks before tear down
IMG_0998.jpg

Cleaned up the old grease and hit the head tube with a dremel buff wheel, it's pretty scuffed up, almost too big for the old bmx/cruiser 32.5mm cups, couldn't find an LBS that even had one that size to face the tubes. Might go over to the 34mm 1 1/8 headset size. Head tube definitely needs facing anyway crooked as all git out.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Needed to get rust out of the seat tube, this rig did the job but still can't get a seatpost past the lower side of the first top tube.
IMG_1012.jpg

Took out the grease nipples, still in pretty good shape
IMG_1013.jpg

Some more persuasion with the wire wheel and a dremel grindstone that was a perfect 5/8" fit. Now have 2 seatpost options

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

Back