ORBO SkiTrap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kickstand is way to short.
c45e0be9c7cc5f6f50ba9a70301649cf.jpg

e381a8e0ab94af4901ec617b12b26ffa.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Fin

Gratuitous garage door shots
3677c9437e3a7a57ece4b359b0681668.jpg

9f2df7435833d85a98168849e7b33d42.jpg

52776cdbffdbc43ae0fc8df2d377d6f2.jpg

Well, this went nothing like I thought it would. Turns out the only parts from the mt. bike I actually used are the saddle, kickstand, an axle nut and a couple washers.
I think it looks kinda brute with those Jesse James forks.

All that's left to do is a test ride to see how that studded tire works and put it in the finished thread..... Oh and name it.

Has anyone else ever done a real time build on the site before, or do I get the honor of being the first? [emoji57]

You just need it to handle the way YOU want it...
Read up on fork trail. The angle of the head tube relevant to the footprint...
It all changes how it handles. Looks good either way.
FWIW, I haven't cut my threads down on my fork yet,
I may shim my bottom race and raise my front end...

Carl.

You just need it to handle the way YOU want it...
Read up on fork trail. The angle of the head tube relevant to the footprint...
It all changes how it handles. Looks good either way.
FWIW, I haven't cut my threads down on my fork yet,
I may shim my bottom race and raise my front end...

Carl.
I'm happy with the way it rides and handles, but those fork tubes sticking up like that bug the stuffing out of me.
Aside from that, I like the way it looks. I knew it would be a junky looking bike when I had the plan of putting the mt bike parts on it, I think it looks like better junk now.

The way I see it is this, I paid for all the parts that went into this build in one form or another. But I've had all the bikes and parts in it long enough(with exception of the wheels) that I built this bike for free. Even with the cost of the wheels, I got my money back today when I rode around in the snow with a smile on my face.
And I did what I set out to do, I built an off road bike in real time in one day.

Looks like you set a new land speed record for a bike build! My "up north" mindset still envisions a ski attached to some kind of articulated mount between those monster fork legs! Then you could schuss the alley as your neighbors stand in their windows shaking their heads....

Looks like you set a new land speed record for a bike build! My "up north" mindset still envisions a ski attached to some kind of articulated mount between those monster fork legs! Then you could schuss the alley as your neighbors stand in their windows shaking their heads....
Well, I came up with this. Its a rigid mount, but the struts are way to flexy. Will try something else.
20b764dfcbc7af4070bd4299aad58a28.jpg

I guess it doesn't look to terrible.
a355f67a53a48ad04ae57e99615cbcbe.jpg

I think it looks great!

That went together in one day. Pretty sweet ride that resulted.

The studs are a nice added touch. They work out way better than the ropes I used to tie around the mags on my bmx.

Looks like much fun to be had. Just dont break your rear on the ice..

Good Job! Enjoy it while its fun, if it becomes not fun, tweak it then.

When you gonna name this???

Building... riding...

I see "Olin" on that ski looking piece...what is that exactly? I mean, I know Olin is a ski manufacturer, but it doesn't look like a ski? How about an actual downhill ski (wish I was home, I have two old pair destined for this very thing, I could send a chunk) cut off, use the about 2' of the tip end and use hose clamp or something similar to just strap it to the wheel, with the tire on it? Then it would flex and camber to the snow as you pedaled along....

Last edited:
I think it looks great!

That went together in one day. Pretty sweet ride that resulted.

The studs are a nice added touch. They work out way better than the ropes I used to tie around the mags on my bmx.

Looks like much fun to be had. Just dont break your rear on the ice..

Good Job! Enjoy it while its fun, if it becomes not fun, tweak it then.

When you gonna name this???

Building... riding...
I don't know, I had a name figured out but the mongoose parts didn't go on it. So now I have to come up with something else.

I see "Olin" on that ski looking piece...what is that exactly? I mean, I know Olin is a ski manufacturer, but it doesn't look like a ski? How about an actual downhill ski (wish I was home, I have two old pair destined for this very thing, I could send a chunk) cut off, use the about 2' of the tip end and use hose clamp or something similar to just strap it to the wheel, with the tire on it? Then it would flex and camber to the snow as you pedaled along....
That is a cut up ski, I still have the other one incase I cut it to short.

I don't know, I had a name figured out but the mongoose parts didn't go on it. So now I have to come up with something else.

That is a cut up ski, I still have the other one incase I cut it to short.
see my edited comment with the pic now attached...

Back