ORBO ORBO Inspiration and Entertainment: Klunker Documentaries

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been watching a few videos on the roots of mountain biking lately, and while odds are you may have seen them before, I'd still like to share them with you. Some of these videos area already giving me ideas for some of my bikes!

Know any good movies/videos on mountain biking, klunking, BMX or just bikes in general? Feel free to share them here!

Man, that first vid, so many breezers! They talk about the Schwinns, but the first bikes loaded in the truck, Breezers. The bike Charlie is flogging down Repack, Breezer (that bike now lives in the mountain bike hall of fame), the mangled bike thrown off the switchback (😲), Breezer. Pushing up the hill, 2 Breezers. At one point they talked about cross country riding and there's seven bikes, 3 are breezers. As far as I know, ten of those bikes in existence, most are in that video. That's the first mountain bikes. Ever.

Not enough information out there about Victor Vincente of America. He was building the most unusual stuff, convinced that smaller wheels were better for off roading. He was a hippie artist bike racer and promoter, he changed his name to mean "Winner Winner of America". He was weird, his bikes might be weirder. I dare someone to build a VVA clone.
images (7).jpeg
images (8).jpeg
tumblr_ngsjrkXcym1rk6u99o2_1280.jpeg
images (9).jpeg

*Can't believe they sent a bike to a photoshoot with a rack angled like that! Guess it matches the chain line?
Here's a video they made for an event a while back celebrating his birthday

This is a great little news feature on an early '80s Pearl Pass ride. Really good footage in here. The presenter is hilarious, the riders are groovy and the bikes are amazing. The infamous Murdoch is there in his shop; this is probably the video that got him discovered by the authorities and he had to go on the lam again. I was really impressed by the woman who built her own mtb frame out of 4130. Cool stuff, I haven't watched this one in a while.

I was really impressed by the woman who built her own mtb frame out of 4130
Yeah I spotted her bike in one of the first videos, really wanted to see more. It was the double tube fork that caught my eye. Now I have her name, Jane Carpenter. the search begins
Screenshot_20240121-074503.png
Screenshot_20240121-074458.png
The geometry reminds me of a Rocky Mountain, but the sloping top tube predates Paul Brodie's frame innovations by a few years

Yeah I spotted her bike in one of the first videos, really wanted to see more. It was the double tube fork that caught my eye. Now I have her name, Jane Carpenter. the search begins
View attachment 257185View attachment 257184The geometry reminds me of a Rocky Mountain, but the sloping top tube predates Paul Brodie's frame innovations by a few years

It's a well built frame and that fork is trippy. I'll be interested to see what you dig up on her. I thought I noticed a drop bar Cunningham laying down along the way in there somewhere too.

I noticed a drop bar Cunningham laying down along the way in there somewhere too.
Wouldn't be out of place there, might even be Otto, Jacquie Phelan's Cunningham #29
jacquiecunningham.jpg

She was queen of the mountain, appeared in lots of photos. Or, it might have been something even rarer...
"During early autumn of 1980, Charlie Cunningham joined other Marin county locals who ventured out to Colorado to ride the Pearl Pass Tour from Crested Butte to Aspen. Charlie brought with him the world’s first aluminum mountain bike, dubbed CCPROTO, which he had completed construction of in late 1979."

https://theradavist.com/from-the-pr...-a-1983-replica-of-jacquie-phelans-otto-bike/

Jacquie is absolutely Jacquie🤣😆😂
From the pinkbike article:
"Jacquie penned stories for magazines like Cyclist, BIKE, and Bicycling while simultaneously being featured in lengthy stories in non-bike mags like Vogue, Elle, O (Oprah), Sports Illustrated, Ladies Home Journal, Outside, Image (SF Chronicle Sunday mag), Rolling Stone. Yet she somehow never quite mastered the art of securing corporate sponsorship. If anyone can tell her why, she’s ready to reform herself and sell out tomorrow!"

WowJacquie is absolutely Jacquie🤣😆😂
From the pinkbike article:
"Jacquie penned stories for magazines like Cyclist, BIKE, and Bicycling while simultaneously being featured in lengthy stories in non-bike mags like Vogue, Elle, O (Oprah), Sports Illustrated, Ladies Home Journal, Outside, Image (SF Chronicle Sunday mag), Rolling Stone. Yet she somehow never quite mastered the art of securing corporate sponsorship. If anyone can tell her why, she’s ready to reform herself and sell out tomorrow!"
Jacquie is beast. She won a race one time after her saddle had fallen off early on.

Latest posts

Back