Opinion: banana seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to disagree, but with one condition, it has to be the bigger style of seat, the tiny kids ones, well yes, they equal pain, but I actually love riding on the bigger 20-22" banana seats...

Luke.

I have no experience with the larger adult banana seats and therefore my negative opinion of them is based on the older kids size.

Them Ichibike seats are neat.

CeeBee that's exactly why I wanted opinions. I'm open to any and all because I know many of the people on here have much more experience than I do. And thats kinda what I'm leaning towards is my bike is too big for the look to work right.

I saw and old bike with a banana seat on it at a car show a month ago and loved it. But it was a low sitting bike.

But. . . I am going to start cutting up some wood to shapes and sizes thats been discussed and set on there and see. Cause that's the problem. Until I can see it, I'll never be happy.

I think if you make your own and scale it up to fit the size of the onyx it will be sick.

BTW there are some Schwinn style springers that will work on the onyx with the 29er wheel and give it a way different look.

oooh. I've always wanted a springer on it but couldn't find one for that big of tire.

I will take pictures. I really like this bike. My goal is to make it look like no other, of course I've yet to see another around my city.

And thank you, be cool to be rocking a springer.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Getting foam that is hard enough to be useful is going to be the main issue with a homebuilt seat...Some use carpet padding but for me it isn't hard enough to offer any meaningful cushioning. A layer of softer foam on top will fill out your vinyl so it fits tightly.

No matter what you use for foam make sure that the wood or metal underneath is rounded well so there are not sharp edges that will eventually cut thru the cover and pad. You can have a sharp edge on the bottom of the seat as you will only be touching the top surfaces with your tush.

There are weltings that can be folded over the nails or staples that you can use to secure the cover along the lower edges...If you have looked at the Ichi seats you can see the one he uses, sometimes with carpet tacks but you can also hide the fasteners completely.

What about hardware on a DIY saddle? What's the best way to mount to a seatpost?

I LIKE BIKES

Cannibalize parts from the undercarriage of other seats.

What I have seen is a U shaped piece of steel that fits the seat clamp thingie you would normally have on a regular seat, bolted with thru bolts(countersunk on top if in wood) or welded to a steel pan. Pretty simple actually, and a piece of 1/8 by 3/4 flat stock would do the trick. At the back, another U bracket bolted to the underside of the seat with the turned down ends having holes to attach your sissy bar bolts to is all you need. You could use two L shaped brackets welded to a steel pan but the U would be stronger...probably 1/2 by 1/8 stock would be ideal.

How thick of metal is usually used for seat pans?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Having a issue with the size of my head tube. Is it a 1 1/8 ?? I'm trying to put these triple trees on but the tube is way to small
yqepebyh.jpg
qesuda4y.jpg

Back